Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Build Quality Improving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I need to look at the E again ... you think it looks better than this ???

Agreed about charger network too. People dont realize an EV is essentially an awesome 150 mile max range ICE with no gas stations. Unless you enjoy range anxiety and turning a several hour trip into an all day trip.

I hope Ford keeps pushing the Mach E to Tesla standards but for now its not worth touching until the figure out charger network but also a host of other stuff that is present on any new car.

Attachments

• tessy.jpg
    tessy.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 104
Reactions: lchen6
That was a decent thought years ago, but now there are SOOO many EVs out there. I'm sure many of them do not have the issues Tesla does, but they arent as sexy and dont have the charging infrastructure to support them yet. That was the number one reason I went with a Tesla MY over a Mach-E. If charging infrastructure was equal, I'd have given the Mach-E a serious look. I personally prefer the Teslas looks, but as an engineer, I go with function over form so that wouldnt have held me back.
You should read the Mach E owner boards to see how well the dealer support is working. (Hint: not well!)

Agree. Takes alot of caution backing up, esp with no cross traffic alert system. My back window is also tinted to 20% makes it extra challenging lol.
I'm fascinated at the common complaint of no "cross traffic alert" system. I have found using the rear wide-angle camera provides plenty of
I'm going to find out soon... a friend of mine has a GT on order (hes been waiting on it for MONTHS... like since January I think), he just got a message that its getting built in September.
You'll be much more confident of your decision to go with the MY, I'm predicting, after hearing your friend's experience. ;)

I'm fascinated at the common complaint of no "cross traffic alert" system. I have found using the rear wide-angle camera provides plenty of

You'll be much more confident of your decision to go with the MY, I'm predicting, after hearing your friend's experience. ;)
I'm just glad we dont have matching cars... good to see some variety on the road! I'm curious how close to the advertised specs the GTs are when they come out.

regarding no cross traffic - seriously ? Have you ever parked between 2 large vehicles, ever ? lol

this mentality is excluding tesla from being accountable for building cars without basic options. almost as bad as saying its ok to just have 3 wheels on the car and not 4, whats a few sparks here and there ?

When its standard on $25K vehicles theres a reason for it. Tesla not having it on even their $125K vehicles is absurd and driven ONLY by lack of competition/greed. I know the Mach E has a long way to go but I sure hope it gets there and forces Tesla to add the basic features that every other $25K car has had for years (cross traffic, bsm, apple car play)

Last edited:
regarding no cross traffic - seriously ? Have you ever parked between 2 large vehicles, ever ? lol

this mentality is whats not holding tesla accountable for building cars without basic options. almost as bad as saying its ok to just have 3 wheels on the car and not 4, whats a few sparks here and there ?

When its standard on $25K vehicles theres a reason for it. Tesla not having it on even their $125K vehicles is absurd and driven ONLY by lack of competition. I know the Mach E has a long way to go but I sure hope it gets there and forces Tesla to add the basic features that every other $25K car has had for years (cross traffic, bsm, apple car play)
A seemingly easy one to add via software update would be the thing Honda does (unless its patented) where the side camera displays on the screen when you put the blinker on.

Nope.

Subaru does it with cameras: Subaru Drive
Q: What is Subaru Blind-Spot Detection?

A: Blind-Spot Detection uses radar sensors to warn you with a visual indicator in either of the side mirrors if a vehicle is camped out in your blind spot. Lane Change Assist7 provides a flashing indicator if a vehicle is approaching in a lane beside you when you activate your turn signal for a lane change.

Explain how they could use line of sight cameras to see around 2 large vehicles for cross traffic alerts while backing up, too.

Q: What is Subaru Blind-Spot Detection?

A: Blind-Spot Detection uses radar sensors to warn you with a visual indicator in either of the side mirrors if a vehicle is camped out in your blind spot. Lane Change Assist7 provides a flashing indicator if a vehicle is approaching in a lane beside you when you activate your turn signal for a lane change.

Explain how they could use line of sight cameras to see around 2 large vehicles for cross traffic alerts while backing up, too.
I saw that about blind-spot detection but thought you were discussing the rear cross-traffic alert.

That said, I was wrong. They do use cameras for some safety features, but not the rear cross-traffic alert. I found elsewhere that radar is used for that. It's halfway down this page: Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

My bad.

Nope.

Subaru does it with cameras: Subaru Drive
Q: What is Subaru Blind-Spot Detection?7

I saw that about blind-spot detection but thought you were discussing the rear cross-traffic alert.

That said, I was wrong. They do use cameras for some safety features, but not the rear cross-traffic alert. I found elsewhere that radar is used for that. It's halfway down this page: Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

My bad.
i wish you were right as that means it will be impossible for tesla to retrofit existing vehicles with these features. maybe some day they will start putting them on new vehicles ...

Reactions: electric miles

this mentality is excluding tesla from being accountable for building cars without basic options. almost as bad as saying its ok to just have 3 wheels on the car and not 4, whats a few sparks here and there ?

When its standard on $25K vehicles theres a reason for it. Tesla not having it on even their $125K vehicles is absurd and driven ONLY by lack of competition/greed. I know the Mach E has a long way to go but I sure hope it gets there and forces Tesla to add the basic features that every other $25K car has had for years (cross traffic, bsm, apple car play)
Very true. There's always some jerk speeding past in a parking lot completely ignoring the fact that you're trying to back out of a space. I've become super paranoid as I've had to slam on my brakes a couple times to avoid collision as the backup cam alone isn't sufficient. I've felt cross traffic alerts in my previous cars were an invaluable feature that I didn't think I could live without. Some Tesla owners just back into parking spaces to remedy, but I hate doing that. I've basically started parking in the back of parking lots to avoid the situation altogether.