Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Build Quality Improving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You paid for that feature but you didn’t get it. I guess you aren’t too demanding of a consumer. No safety feature is essential , until it’s needed. I drive the car in multiple tight parking lots daily so please stop telling me I don’t need the feature. The camera system is inadequate to function as cross traffic alert in many situations.

Reactions: electric miles
You paid for that feature but you didn’t get it. I guess you aren’t too demanding of a consumer. No safety feature is essential , until it’s needed. I drive the car in multiple tight parking lots daily so please stop telling me I don’t need the feature. The camera system is inadequate to function as cross traffic alert in many situations.
Some people need all the help they can get !!! ;-)

• Disagree
Reactions: Jim R
I just took delivery of a Y and it is definitely a well built car, paint is great, there no creaks or rattles and everything feels very solid. Even if you find a small imperfection in the panel gap, etc, the model Y is still so superior to a RDX, Toyota or Honda equivalent car gas in virtually every way that it should be a non-issue. I dont see why people harp on these tiny details, unless the issue is egregious.

Driving my wife's 2019 Chevy Traverse is a massive step backwards, my Y would have to be seriously F'ed up for me to not want to take it over that gas car. Heck I don't even drive my E90 BMW M3 one of the best gas cars ever made anymore.

Reactions: scottf200
So while I love my Model Y, the QC reputation is well deserved to be honest.

This is what I found on delivery day and these gaps are not small like I've seen in other MYs. The interior was immaculate though.

I had something else fixed a few days later that was more important than panel gap and the service guy said most of these are within spec.

Personally, they don't bother me but please do not brush off QC issues like they don't exist anymore.

Attachments

• Photo Oct 23, 2 33 15 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 2 33 15 PM.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Photo Oct 23, 11 28 37 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 11 28 37 AM.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 97
  • Photo Oct 23, 11 31 27 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 11 31 27 AM.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo Oct 23, 11 31 31 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 11 31 31 AM.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Photo Oct 23, 11 28 24 AM.jpg
    Photo Oct 23, 11 28 24 AM.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 90
So while I love my Model Y, the QC reputation is well deserved to be honest.

This is what I found on delivery day and these gaps are not small like I've seen in other MYs. The interior was immaculate though.

I had something else fixed a few days later that was more important than panel gap and the service guy said most of these are within spec.

Personally, they don't bother me but please do not brush off QC issues like they don't exist anymore.

My model Y that was delivered 10/13 has panel gaps almost identical to what your photos show. The worst is definitely the hatch fitment, the glass at the top center of the hatch is higher than the adjacent roof glass (looks like yours is this way as well). Unfortunately it is hard to notice everything when you do your initial inspection, not sure I would have rejected even noticing all of it though. I have an appointment to get this fixed, they said all issues reported in 24 hrs will be. They need to define what is 'in spec' ... and they are delivering cars with 6mm between panels, they need to tighten their specs

Reactions: Corndart and voxel
You are absolutely blind if you think that Tesla is putting out build quality on par with other makes costing this much. You are paying for battery tech / supercharger network. Within a few years you will be overpaying at these prices once we get some better competition. Tesla is in full profit taking mode because demand is vastly outpacing supply. Hertz didn’t help ..

Anyway you really need to take a look at how the body structure is assembled on a Tesla. Do a rear hitch install. It’s a million plastic push pins that will wear and break over time.

It’s a good vehicle from battery tech and charging standpoint (better than Ford currently). Let’s all quit minimizing the obviously shotty build quality as Audi VW Porsche won’t hopefully take that route. Tesla will need to significantly step up their game once the others catch up on battery and charge tech. They aren’t far off now but still lagging

You are absolutely blind if you think that Tesla is putting out build quality on par with other makes costing this much. You are paying for battery tech / supercharger network. Within a few years you will be overpaying at these prices once we get some better competition. Tesla is in full profit taking mode because demand is vastly outpacing supply. Hertz didn’t help ..

Anyway you really need to take a look at how the body structure is assembled on a Tesla. Do a rear hitch install. It’s a million plastic push pins that will wear and break over time.

It’s a good vehicle from battery tech and charging standpoint (better than Ford currently). Let’s all quit minimizing the obviously shotty build quality as Audi VW Porsche won’t hopefully take that route. Tesla will need to significantly step up their game once the others catch up on battery and charge tech. They aren’t far off now but still lagging
I'm expecting build quality to improve as Tesla implements the Front + Rear Megacasts with the structural battery pack.
Judging by the mounds of castings stacked up in Fremont and Austin, Tesla doesn't want to start that until the 4680 batteries are available in quantity.
Otherwise they would have already begun with the re-engineered 2170 pack and the stacks of castings would not be so large.

The base chassis should have better dimensional consistency, delivering more consistent body panel attachment.
My suppositions, of course. No one outside Tesla really knows.
But given the number of steel stampings that are welded/bonded together on the front end, megacasts definitely make a good case for chassis improvement.