Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Build Quality Improving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fit on our new MYP was pretty decent. Gaps were not the tightest but consistent. I'm not too concerned over it. I suppose we each are unique in what we obsess over. The paint however, while overall looks good. Upon close inspection I found a crap ton of defects that are under the clear coat. I'm kinda pissed about that cuz you can't buff that crap out. I also found a print deep in the clear coat on driver passenger door. That took 30 minutes to buff. The driver side rear bumper had a ton of overspray, took another 30-60 mins to buff out. However the defects under the clear just pisses me off.

It shows a lack of QC, cuz they literally locked in the defects with the clear. You gotta catch those defects or improve your line to prevent it. If my car has defects that means a lot of cars made it off that line with similar issues. I could understand some defects on a cheap car like the 02 WRX I bought many moons ago. That car has cheap and thin paint but it WAS defect free. In a lot of ways obviously Tesla is far ahead of everybody else but in the most mundane ways they are behind. I wish they got to parity on the little things sooner than later.

The fit on our new MYP was pretty decent. Gaps were not the tightest but consistent. I'm not too concerned over it. I suppose we each are unique in what we obsess over. The paint however, while overall looks good. Upon close inspection I found a crap ton of defects that are under the clear coat. I'm kinda pissed about that cuz you can't buff that crap out. I also found a print deep in the clear coat on driver passenger door. That took 30 minutes to buff. The driver side rear bumper had a ton of overspray, took another 30-60 mins to buff out. However the defects under the clear just pisses me off.

It shows a lack of QC, cuz they literally locked in the defects with the clear. You gotta catch those defects or improve your line to prevent it. If my car has defects that means a lot of cars made it off that line with similar issues. I could understand some defects on a cheap car like the 02 WRX I bought many moons ago. That car has cheap and thin paint but it WAS defect free. In a lot of ways obviously Tesla is far ahead of everybody else but in the most mundane ways they are behind. I wish they got to parity on the little things sooner than later.
TESLA value lies in the driving experience and FSD. This is what they live off. The germans live off driving performance and fit and finish. Tesla fans will overlook the fit and finish details because the car is that good. They dont care about the small things because cars will get older and deteriorate

TESLA value lies in the driving experience and FSD. This is what they live off. The germans live off driving performance and fit and finish. Tesla fans will overlook the fit and finish details because the car is that good. They dont care about the small things because cars will get older and deteriorate
Whose they? I care about the small things. My car is over 80K out the door, I give a major *sugar*!

I just picked up my MYP from service (they had the car for 3 days). There were numerous issues that I noticed at the 6/24 delivery that needed to be addressed.

Didn't know that the replacement of the rear quarter panel window trim required replacing the glass. I have to go back to my tint shop and get that window re-tinted now. They also adjusted the alignment of my frunk hood and everything looks good now. Before the driver's side had a huge gap compared to the passenger side.

Interesting that my spoiler also had to be replaced. One corner end was already lifting off the body. Guess this is a known issue with the OEM spoiler.

I also have a paint issue that my PPF installer noticed (on the rear upper quarter panel). About the size of a 1/2 a penny and noticeable at certain angles. Service center said they could take it in to get that panel re-sprayed but I declined. Car already has already been ceramic coated so I figured I'd just leave it alone.

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 169
Reactions: thesmokingman
I have a new Tesla Y on order for expected shipment in September. I am looking forward to it. I already have a 220 circuit in my garage for charging my plug in Hybrid which I got two years ago. My big problem/concern is that the nearest Tesla Dealer is 125 miles away in Raleigh, NC. I know they have roadside assistance for breakdowns but for these cosmetic repairs it is going to be difficult to drive 125 miles and I am sure that they will not be able to do this while I wait. Driving two cars the 125 miles so I have a way to get home is not an option. Will Tesla pickup or provide a loaner car while repairs are being made. I sure hope so.

Took delivery recently, the car was good like 90% perfect but just had a few issues that can be fixed. Some issues were “noted” for my car so they should know to fix it during service appointment. Didn’t get a physical signed due bill.

I probably should have refused delivery because of the paint issues that are kind of stressing me out but oh well we will see what happens at the service appointment that I booked.

- Few medium circular smudges on hood under clear coat probably cause by robot (guessing they might need to repaint hood. Don’t think these are sanding marks because they tried to buff but it didn’t come off. Hope they can buff it off, really bummed when I found out when I got home there aren’t any factory painted hoods like the advisor stated…

- 5” scuff/scrape on bumper and black trim on bottom, it guessing transporter scraped it while unloading the car. The black trim is scuffed and the paint is scratched into the paint, not really a deal breaker, the trim can be replaced, the scuff on paint can be touched up or polished. Worst case they replace the bumper..

- Exposed wiring on interior rear. Easy fix during service appt.

- Window switch not working, should be fixed during service appt.

- Missing fasteners on rear bumper underbody for shields.

- sanding marks on fender (they tried to rub it out but instead created more micro scratches that need to be polished out)

-scratches on mirror cover

- passenger carpet Velcro adhesive not straight so it is not adhered properly.

- Grease on headliner (fixed during delivery)

- rear door needs to be slammed to close and it rubs on the door seal.

- scratches on black plastic on rear bumper, thought it was polishing compound but is scratches, didn’t notice this until I got home so not sure if they would do anything about it.

- lots of adhesive residue left.

All in all I decided to take delivery as they stated to me that they would fix the paint issues because the car other than the cosmetic paint issues was basically perfect..

The car was clearly rush prepped for delivery as there was still some tape and adhesive and stuff left but overall OK, didn’t ask them to detail again because I didn’t want them to create more scratches and stuff..

Scheduled an appointment to fix the issues, will update on how it goes. Only thing is that I am kind of stressed it seems like all repaint by Tesla feedback online are negative so I am not sure if I should have taken delivery in the first place with the hood paint issue.

All in all, most issues should be able to be fixed. I think I can live with some cosmetic issues if they don’t fix since it is just a car that will get damaged while driving anyways, plus who knows if I had refused the next one might have been worse.. but then again I probably could have waited since I don’t need to drive for a few more months..

We will see how it goes, waiting on them to respond to service, hopefully my delivery issue was documented in their internal system.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Took delivery recently, the car was good like 90% perfect but just had a few issues that can be fixed. Some issues were “noted” for my car so they should know to fix it during service appointment. Didn’t get a physical signed due bill.

I probably should have refused delivery because of the paint issues that are kind of stressing me out but oh well we will see what happens at the service appointment that I booked.

- Few medium circular smudges on hood under clear coat probably cause by robot (guessing they might need to repaint hood. Don’t think these are sanding marks because they tried to buff but it didn’t come off. Hope they can buff it off, really bummed when I found out when I got home there aren’t any factory painted hoods like the advisor stated…

- 5” scuff/scrape on bumper and black trim on bottom, it guessing transporter scraped it while unloading the car. The black trim is scuffed and the paint is scratched into the paint, not really a deal breaker, the trim can be replaced, the scuff on paint can be touched up or polished. Worst case they replace the bumper..

- sanding marks on fender (they tried to rub it out but instead created more micro scratches that need to be polished out)

- scratches on black plastic on rear bumper, thought it was polishing compound but is scratches, didn’t notice this until I got home so not sure if they would do anything about it.

All in all I decided to take delivery as they stated to me that they would fix the paint issues because the car other than the cosmetic paint issues was basically perfect..

The car was clearly rush prepped for delivery as there was still some tape and adhesive and stuff left but overall OK, didn’t ask them to detail again because I didn’t want them to create more scratches and stuff..

Scheduled an appointment to fix the issues, will update on how it goes. Only thing is that I am kind of stressed it seems like all repaint by Tesla feedback online are negative so I am not sure if I should have taken delivery in the first place with the hood paint issue.

All in all, most issues should be able to be fixed. I think I can live with some cosmetic issues if they don’t fix since it is just a car that will get damaged while driving anyways, plus who knows if I had refused the next one might have been worse.. but then again I probably could have waited since I don’t need to drive for a few more months..

We will see how it goes, waiting on them to respond to service, hopefully my delivery issue was documented in their internal system.
That's quite the list! Hopefully your service center can quickly resolve the issues.

I also had a noticeable scratch on the rear bumper lower plastic trim. They had to replace that portion of the rear bumper trim...but was told it was an easy swap. If you have damage on the painted portion of the bumper, I'd push for a replacement since the rear bumper assembly comes pre-painted from the factory.

Good luck!

Reactions: Undisclosed
I have a new Tesla Y on order for expected shipment in September. I am looking forward to it. I already have a 220 circuit in my garage for charging my plug in Hybrid which I got two years ago. My big problem/concern is that the nearest Tesla Dealer is 125 miles away in Raleigh, NC. I know they have roadside assistance for breakdowns but for these cosmetic repairs it is going to be difficult to drive 125 miles and I am sure that they will not be able to do this while I wait. Driving two cars the 125 miles so I have a way to get home is not an option. Will Tesla pickup or provide a loaner car while repairs are being made. I sure hope so.
I live in CLT so I’m just a few minutes from a service center so in that respect I am fortunate, but just wanna point out the mobile service is not just for roadside assistance. I purchased the homelink add on a month after delivery and mobile service came to my house and installed in in my driveway. I’m sure you’ll need to drop your car off if you have a major problem; but a lot of the minor problems, and most things software related, can be addressed by a mobile tech.

Also, I guess I’m pretty lucky I did not find a single fit and finish issue at delivery for my 1/21 build. In the six months since the only thing I’ve notice is that the rear hatch is about an 1/8th of an inch more recessed on the lower driver’s side corner relative to the same corner on the passenger side.

Man that sucks. I hope they make it right.

Hey Everyone-

I am debating between a 2022 Acura MDX and a Model Y Performance and while I am leaning towards the Model Y, I do not want to be the beneficiary of build issues and subpar warranty service. As I read over posts, I see people accepting vehicles with an array of issues from panel gaps and paint issues to misaligned roofs. That being said, are these issues of the past and is build quality improving? Are new buyers that bought this quarter seeing half ass build quality or quality like like that of Honda and Toyota? There has to be some standard of quality control when Tesla cars come off the assembly line by now.

Sorry for the rambling. I would love to get the thoughts from the group before I drop $65k.

TR
I ordered May15 and still waiting, watching every single recall announcement for the Y…. 😬but it is too late. I have already joined the cult.

Hey Everyone-

I am debating between a 2022 Acura MDX and a Model Y Performance and while I am leaning towards the Model Y, I do not want to be the beneficiary of build issues and subpar warranty service. As I read over posts, I see people accepting vehicles with an array of issues from panel gaps and paint issues to misaligned roofs. That being said, are these issues of the past and is build quality improving? Are new buyers that bought this quarter seeing half ass build quality or quality like like that of Honda and Toyota? There has to be some standard of quality control when Tesla cars come off the assembly line by now.

Sorry for the rambling. I would love to get the thoughts from the group before I drop $65k.

TR
Excellent Build quality on model Y delivered July 22, 2021. I picked up the car in Fremont at the plant. The experience was for sure no European delivery as per the BMW Welt in Munich but it was very efficient. My take after 1 week: model Y is an engineering marvel AND it was flawless. Sidebar…3 days after delivery I drove over a bolt that imbedded in the front passenger 19” tire of Gemini wheel, got home called roadside assistance who dispatched a tow truck w/in 45 mins. Scrambled to read the towing instructions only to find the tow driver had been trained. The driver took my valet card and delivered the Y to the Monterey/Seaside store. Tire could not be repaired by Tesla so my first expense after purchase was $379 for a new tire the next morning. Happens.

FSD has ZERO VALUE until it actually works. Without excuses. Which is YEARS away, if ever.
Way over-promised and under-delivered. A noble effort but a FAIL so far.
Especially if you've paid $10K for it.

For me the thought of spending a lot of money on obsolete (ICE) technology is impossible to reconcile. Spewing more CO2 into the air as I try to enjoy a new car just won't happen again for me. Yes, a Tesla is a 4 wheeled Windows computer and you have to live with occasional bugs, but it does do so many things better.

Anyway regarding build quality it’s just sub par and anyone who works on cars will agree. My 2020 YP is built like LEGO’s, and that might be degrading LEGO’s. Every trim panel is snap fit. The entire body is put together with plastic push pins and weak machine screws going into plastic nutserts..I just installed a hitch and cannot believe how cheap the car is assembled vs a German car like my 911 or an Audi. These cars are slapped together it’s no wonder they have issues with quality and I’ll assume as time goes on and all those plastic push pins fall out the car will probably have a lot more body issues. I think you are paying (over paying) for battery / tech and getting gouged in the process. Right now there just aren’t any competitors to force Tesla to up the game in the mainstream ev market but that will change. I would love for someone to tear down a Tesla and a Taycan and review their build notes. Porsche would never take this many shortcuts on the body assy.

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude
Anyway regarding build quality it’s just sub par and anyone who works on cars will agree. My 2020 YP is built like LEGO’s, and that might be degrading LEGO’s. Every trim panel is snap fit. The entire body is put together with plastic push pins and weak machine screws going into plastic nutserts..I just installed a hitch and cannot believe how cheap the car is assembled vs a German car like my 911 or an Audi. These cars are slapped together it’s no wonder they have issues with quality and I’ll assume as time goes on and all those plastic push pins fall out the car will probably have a lot more body issues. I think you are paying (over paying) for battery / tech and getting gouged in the process. Right now there just aren’t any competitors to force Tesla to up the game in the mainstream ev market but that will change. I would love for someone to tear down a Tesla and a Taycan and review their build notes. Porsche would never take this many shortcuts on the body assy.
Sandy Munro already did this I believe. Maybe not the Porsche.

Reactions: rxlawdude
For me the thought of spending a lot of money on obsolete (ICE) technology is impossible to reconcile. Spewing more CO2 into the air as I try to enjoy a new car just won't happen again for me. Yes, a Tesla is a 4 wheeled Windows computer and you have to live with occasional bugs, but it does do so many things better.
That was a decent thought years ago, but now there are SOOO many EVs out there. I'm sure many of them do not have the issues Tesla does, but they arent as sexy and dont have the charging infrastructure to support them yet. That was the number one reason I went with a Tesla MY over a Mach-E. If charging infrastructure was equal, I'd have given the Mach-E a serious look. I personally prefer the Teslas looks, but as an engineer, I go with function over form so that wouldnt have held me back.