Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y build quality with photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried back to black restorer and some scrubbing. No change its paint stuck in the dimples in the plastic after someone wiped off a drip/spill.

It looks pretty obvious in your pic, and it's too bad they would release a car for delivery like that. Two Mobile Techs told me my car should never have left the factory and apologized for all the paint problems I had..

This always seems to happen during end of Q's and early production models. Luckily my car had very minimal paint defects (now it's wrapped light blue)

20200328_124418-jpg.527958

That looks so sick. Not sure If I would have taken delivery of it being like that (really have to say that's unacceptable condition for a brand new vehicle) unless I could get written confirmation all of it would be touched up and fixed as soon as they can

This is my first tesla and I'm very disappointed. I traded in a bmw m4 for this. I love how it drives but the build quality is atrocious. First the rear hatch doesn't latch. The hatch operates but won't fully close unless you push on it. One rim was scratched, there is peeling chipped paint, both rear blacked out door handles have paint chips, the rear lower plastic has paint overspray on it, the roof glass glue is bubbling up on both sides, and there is a dent in the metal over the b pillar on the passenger side, the interior plastics on the dash and steering wheel have scratches, the drivers seat creaks over bumps, turns, or acceleration. My 4 year old bmw was in better condition than this "new" car.

Damn, that looks like a drop and dash!

The white on the plastic looks like wax residue. The rest of that stuff sux!

I took my delivery yesterday and vin is 3360. My trunk doesn't latch all the time, like yours. And, several areas have glues left over, but that's easy to remove. Several paint chips on both front doors near the hinge area. And it also has inconsistent panel gaps as well.

I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow and hopefully they will address my issues in one visit.

See my experience here:

It was bad enough before contactless delivery, this seems to be getting worse. I think it's Tesla you get what you get, fix it later attitude. Works when you don't have a choice. But at the Y price I wouldn't tolerate it

That sucks. For those saying to avoid end of quarter cars -- how is that possible? Our Model 3 was delivered December 26, 2019, as part of the end of quarter push -- we ordered it mid October. At the time, we were told they always build California cars last -- so Californians always get the end of quarter cars that people are told to avoid? Not sure how to decipher the vin as the last numbers are 6318XX -- so they seem to have built a lot of Model 3s at this point. Doing a thorough clean and detail this weekend I noticed a lot of stuff that needs fixing and will have to make an appointment. A pillar cover (inside) is falling off and I see the clips to hold it in were never properly placed and are indeed broken. A pillar on passenger side is installed incorrectly, the plastic in the frunk area was loose and I noticed it's because many of the clips to hold it in are broken off. Makes you wonder how much other stuff was installed incorrectly. I plan on replacing my other car next year with a Model Y but this kind of thing is really disheartening.

Reactions: Electric Steve
That sucks. For those saying to avoid end of quarter cars -- how is that possible? Our Model 3 was delivered December 26, 2019, as part of the end of quarter push -- we ordered it mid October. At the time, we were told they always build California cars last -- so Californians always get the end of quarter cars that people are told to avoid? Not sure how to decipher the vin as the last numbers are 6318XX -- so they seem to have built a lot of Model 3s at this point. Doing a thorough clean and detail this weekend I noticed a lot of stuff that needs fixing and will have to make an appointment. A pillar cover (inside) is falling off and I see the clips to hold it in were never properly placed and are indeed broken. A pillar on passenger side is installed incorrectly, the plastic in the frunk area was loose and I noticed it's because many of the clips to hold it in are broken off. Makes you wonder how much other stuff was installed incorrectly. I plan on replacing my other car next year with a Model Y but this kind of thing is really disheartening.

It's just a roll of the dice, and any of those silly suggestions of avoiding end of quarter cars are just that, silly. Mine was an Oct car and it had a lot of defects that were glaring.

There's no way Tesla staff don't know about these defects before they ship the cars. They just hope you aren't "picky" or willing to give them a pass for being a company under 100 years old.

The idea of not accepting delivery or returning in the 7 day window are only under really extreme conditions, not little minor ones because of how you suffer when you reject delivery or return the car. If I had rejected my car, it would have cost me $4000 out of my pocket to get another one, and I would have been without a car for months given the production schedules. Often people have already sold their other car, and some can't afford to wait to get their money back 2-3 months later from Tesla. Tesla knows these things and they know they have you by the balls.

Just roll the dice and hope it works out well for you. If it did, congrats to you and come on here to enjoy telling everyone with problems that they did something wrong. And if it didn't, expect to spend a lot of time, effort and frustration getting Tesla to reluctantly fix their mistakes during what was supposed to be your glorious honeymoon period, and then post on here and wait for people to make you feel like the bad guy.

It's Tesla life.

Sounds like they're betting on it being cheaper to fix defects when someone complains than to do it as part of the normal production run.

Absolutely agree. Especially when you factor in that there's some % of the owners that aren't picky that won't ask for the items to be fixed. Then there's another % of people that won't push back on Tesla SC's when they tell you it's "in spec." And then there's another % that will be ok with some crappy resolution such as touch up paint on a panel that really needed repainting, or something that's made only marginally better.

They did the math, and the math says, "screw em', just ship it!"

Absolutely agree. Especially when you factor in that there's some % of the owners that aren't picky that won't ask for the items to be fixed. Then there's another % of people that won't push back on Tesla SC's when they tell you it's "in spec." And then there's another % that will be ok with some crappy resolution such as touch up paint on a panel that really needed repainting, or something that's made only marginally better.

They did the math, and the math says, "screw em', just ship it!"
And some customers who'll just take it straight to the detailer so that Tesla can't screw it up any more.

that's why I still keep my BMW M4 so I can look at what a masterpiece it is compared to the Model Y

-took my MY to service today and they tried aligning some stuff, did some paint touch ups, fixed the rear trunk hatch to close properly, and aligned the frunk better so it closes easier
-they are awaiting parts to fix my charging port door (looks like it was screwed up after build) and also a 21" uber wheel to come in and replace the one that was curbed upon delivery

What I keep reading here are mostly cosmetic or minor defects that have been easily and quickly resolved by the service department after delivery.

It seems like it would be a much better customer experience if the delivery center inspected the vehicles prior to delivery. Ideally they would resolve the issues prior to delivery, but just knowing that they are aware of the outstanding issues would be a little more reassuring to a new owner.

Even just a note — and I’m totally making this up — that in order to expedite as many deliveries as possible they’ve intentionally bypassed their typical pre-delivery inspection, would at least be reassuring that this isn’t business-as-usual for Tesla (though it sounds like it absolutely is).

Last edited:
Reactions: Electric Steve
What I keep reading here are mostly cosmetic or minor defects that have been easily and quickly resolved by the service department after delivery.

It seems like it would be a much better customer experience if the delivery center inspected the vehicles prior to delivery. Ideally they would resolve the issues prior to delivery, but just knowing that they are aware of the outstanding issues would be a little more reassuring to a new owner.

Even just a note — and I’m totally making this up — that in order to expedite as many deliveries as possible they’ve intentionally bypassed their typical pre-delivery inspection, would at least be reassuring that this isn’t business-as-usual for Tesla (though it sounds like it absolutely is).
I agree.

To date, I've never gotten a new car that had significant defects. That's not because ICE manufacturers are magic; they just clean the car up before they deliver it, not after.

I'm thinking that there are three categories of defects:

1) Dealbreakers. I'm not sure what would qualify, but I suspect I'll know it when I see it. Still, it would be nice if I had a clear notion of what would make me walk away, in advance. I guess that anything so bad that it couldn't be fixed to make it like new again.

2) Obvious stuff. I expect I'll see some scratches, maybe dirty or broken parts, and some panel alignment issues. This won't stop me from driving it home, but I'd fully expect Tesla to fix it at their expense and provide a loaner, as needed.

3) Subtle stuff. Since I plan to get at least partial PPF and full ceramic coating, the car will be cleaned up by a detailer who will quite likely notice things that I wouldn't have, at least not without them being pointed out to me. Some of this will be fixed as part of the process, but I wonder if it'll turn up subtle panel alignment issues or other things that are out of scope for detailing.

This makes me think that it could make sense to take it to the detailer first and pay them to write up a comprehensive list for Tesla to work through. After all, anything Tesla doesn't fix, I'll either have to pay to fix out of pocket or just live with. Not sure if this sort of service is a thing, though.