Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y build quality with photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you think it has anything to do with the dealer aspect of traditional car sales? For instance with legacy manufacturers the dealers are buying the car from the manufacturer as the middle man. So, the dealer probably wants to clean up the cars as much as possible in order to re-sell the car to a customer. They want the experience to be great so that customers return to their specific dealership (Sals Ford), instead of going right down the road to Jim's Ford. With Tesla the delivery centers have no skin in the game, they are just responsible for handing off the broken product that they were sent from the manufacturer.

Do you think it has anything to do with the dealer aspect of traditional car sales?

I think that's part of it. I've seen the dealer inspection checklists for the Toyotas I've bought and they were fairly detailed. However, hard to tell whether the dealer was very attentive to the checklist and resolved any issues ahead of delivery, or if the vehicles are in really good shape coming out of the factory to begin with, so a superficial "inspection" doesn't miss much.

I'm just surprised that the delivery staff doesn't even attempt to proactively note and acknowledge some of the more blatant defects. At least we're not hit with a "dealer prep" fee, which is fair since it appears that the burden is on the buyer.

Reactions: Electric Steve
Dropped the car off at tesla service center today and was given a loaner. I put blue painters tape on everything I want addressed and the service guy took notes and didn't push back at all. Now fingers crossed that the guy fixing it cares more about quality than the folks who built it.

I’m sure I’m gonna catch some flack for this, but I’m a glutton for punishment so here goes.
Received my model y on Saturday, they drove away the loaner. Once I got a chance to drive it, noticed horrible rattle from the back seat (squeaks and rattles are the Bain of my existence when it comes to cars, so that hits me right away). There was no way the guy who drove it 18 miles to my house to drop it off didn’t notice it). Go into the hatch and notice that two of the rear seat covers are warped and won’t click back into place. I’m a fan of Tesla, and the acceleration is amazing, but I’m not willing to look past these details in a $60k+ car as so many here seem to be).

When I brought everything up, they were unresponsive at first and dismissive at last. I think that’s the most surprising thing about Tesla, their customer service is non-existent). Maybe I expected too much from them, but it was a huge eye-opener. Does the company have a director of customer experience? Because they could sure as hell use one.

Long story short, the car was returned. I’ll wait until they work out build quality issues before I consider again. I was also surprised that they didn’t even attempt to even acknowledge/apologize for the way it was delivered. If I felt that they cared and would take care of the issues, this may have ended up differently.

FWIW - the exterior of the car was fine and there were very few issues.

I’m sure I’m gonna catch some flack for this, but I’m a glutton for punishment so here goes.
Received my model y on Saturday, they drove away the loaner. Once I got a chance to drive it, noticed horrible rattle from the back seat (squeaks and rattles are the Bain of my existence when it comes to cars, so that hits me right away). There was no way the guy who drove it 18 miles to my house to drop it off didn’t notice it). Go into the hatch and notice that two of the rear seat covers are warped and won’t click back into place. I’m a fan of Tesla, and the acceleration is amazing, but I’m not willing to look past these details in a $60k+ car as so many here seem to be).

When I brought everything up, they were unresponsive at first and dismissive at last. I think that’s the most surprising thing about Tesla, their customer service is non-existent). Maybe I expected too much from them, but it was a huge eye-opener. Does the company have a director of customer experience? Because they could sure as hell use one.

Long story short, the car was returned. I’ll wait until they work out build quality issues before I consider again. I was also surprised that they didn’t even attempt to even acknowledge/apologize for the way it was delivered. If I felt that they cared and would take care of the issues, this may have ended up differently.

FWIW - the exterior of the car was fine and there were very few issues.

I had the same seat back issue you did from the sound of it, and a busted coat hook, on delivery. Driver side rear on both. Requested a mobile service fix, which was performed once the replacement parts arrived. Problems solved. I'm sorry you didn't have the same results and hope you have better luck next time.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic, to you or anyone else. But so many of these issues are 'throwing the baby out with the bath water' to me... Maybe I've been lucky or maybe I'm viewed as more reasonable and patient. No idea. All I know is we're happy and the vehicle just keeps getting better and better...

So I got the car back and all the issues were resolved. Only problem is that they created new damage. The rear plastics were replaced with new but they scratched it. Then someone spilled glue? On the drivers seat and trim. They couldn't get it off. A new seat cover and plastics were ordered and installed.
Can you post the before and after pictures of the paint chips? I am very interested in the quality of the repair.

So I got the car back and all the issues were resolved. Only problem is that they created new damage. The rear plastics were replaced with new but they scratched it. Then someone spilled glue? On the drivers seat and trim. They couldn't get it off. A new seat cover and plastics were ordered and installed.

They had your car for almost two months????

Goodness.....

I think some of these issues seem to be related in part to their transport and delivery portion. Lack of protection and a proper store delivery processing. Ultimately it’s a company issue as they adopted the fix later after selling approach. As long as ppl accept it, they’ll keep it up. My interior trim had dirt stains from the ppl getting in and out with work gloves on probably offloading from truck.
As for my Y services, 1 done, 1 pending. Rear spoiler came loose, replaced, clothes hook stuck, front wiper issue, pending, big issue: rear hatch alignment and paint scratches on hatch hinges due to that, pending appointment for SC. Quick note: rear back seat covers were replaced as a service bulletin on mine.
Overall lots of quality control issues both at factory and at store levels. The lack of attention to these details, for a car of this price, leaves a lot to be wish for. Next after this a detailer visit to get paint up to standard.

Attachments

• 289E8433-0488-4BFD-9E57-A26226CB63C2.jpeg
    289E8433-0488-4BFD-9E57-A26226CB63C2.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 46B646D9-57BB-4529-9BA9-7975783D958C.jpeg
    46B646D9-57BB-4529-9BA9-7975783D958C.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 24A6B7E6-C9E1-41C2-8E63-8248369053FD.jpeg
    24A6B7E6-C9E1-41C2-8E63-8248369053FD.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 87
  • 035275A8-179E-4F41-82A3-E0D85112EABA.jpeg
    035275A8-179E-4F41-82A3-E0D85112EABA.jpeg
    443.8 KB · Views: 89
  • D7627FB1-5038-41D0-92CB-6A340D6673AB.jpeg
    D7627FB1-5038-41D0-92CB-6A340D6673AB.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 27F51AA4-C5F6-4B25-A24D-DCA70D55B078.jpeg
    27F51AA4-C5F6-4B25-A24D-DCA70D55B078.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 76
  • CDFD920E-9488-4B0E-8907-17C084EADF3F.jpeg
    CDFD920E-9488-4B0E-8907-17C084EADF3F.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 84
I think some of these issues seem to be related in part to their transport and delivery portion. Lack of protection and a proper store delivery processing. Ultimately it’s a company issue as they adopted the fix later after selling approach. As long as ppl accept it, they’ll keep it up. My interior trim had dirt stains from the ppl getting in and out with work gloves on probably offloading from truck.
As for my Y services, 1 done, 1 pending. Rear spoiler came loose, replaced, clothes hook stuck, front wiper issue, pending, big issue: rear hatch alignment and paint scratches on hatch hinges due to that, pending appointment for SC. Quick note: rear back seat covers were replaced as a service bulletin on mine.
Overall lots of quality control issues both at factory and at store levels. The lack of attention to these details, for a car of this price, leaves a lot to be wish for. Next after this a detailer visit to get paint up to standard.

When did you take delivery? Any push backs on the paint issues?

Pending appointment for SC on June 1, 2020.
Model Y PUP Pearl White

When did you take delivery? Any push backs on the paint issues?

Pending appointment for SC on June 1, 2020.
Model Y PUP Pearl White
Took delivery back in March, as for push back none so far, there should not be issues with paint as it’s obvious we’re the damage is from. But we shall see next week on my appointment time. The main problem is they tend to outsource the paint and I’ve heard mixed results, Or worse they try to just touch up. Hence the detailing visit after this as long as the Repair jobs is decent I’m ok with. But will probably just end up wrapping it.

Took delivery back in March, as for push back none so far, there should not be issues with paint as it’s obvious we’re the damage is from. But we shall see next week on my appointment time. The main problem is they tend to outsource the paint and I’ve heard mixed results, Or worse they try to just touch up. Hence the detailing visit after this as long as the Repair jobs is decent I’m ok with. But will probably just end up wrapping it.

I am going with full PPF after the repairs, my detailer said the paint issues and terrible touch-up needs to be repaired by Tesla body shop first.

Tesla pearl white is so easy to maintain and keep clean without the film, it’s hard to mar or see visible scratches on it even with bad washing/cleaning practice, I would avoid the PPF (except front coverage) and not worry about yellowing of film after about 3-5 years, noticeable on light colors. It’s also now a free paint and from popularity of 3 and Y, you’ll see everyone with this color soon. Love this color on our Model 3, it’s always bright even on the darkest of winter days in the PNW and sweeter in the sun.

Get Kamikaze Miyabi or another decent ceramic coat and you’re set.

For my blue Y, I will get full front PPF for rock chip protection and ceramic coat everything.

This is probably the worst model Y i have seen. Thats really upsetting!

I got VIN 12XX and its not nearly as bad. Sure, i got my fair share of issues but this is unacceptable.

I still have pending issues that has been postponed due to lack of available Model Y parts. They delayed my service appointment 6 times.

Just realized you’re in the Seattle area. Which service center did you take delivery in and where are you servicing it? FYI I’m about to take delivery of mine in Seattle-Renton this week.

Has anyone else had door handles that were chipped upon pick up of their new car? Only my driver’s side handle is slightly chipped, on my new MY, but I’m curious if I should have Tesla replace it. It’s small, and could get worse over time, but a little Sharpie might do the trick as well. Haha 😆 just curious if anyone has had a “chipped” door handle fixed or replaced. Thanks!

Attachments

• 14CA0F6F-573C-4759-940C-FC080825DC54.jpeg
    14CA0F6F-573C-4759-940C-FC080825DC54.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 35