Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumper almost ripped off in pooled water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

So this happened last Friday (Sept 2, 2022) during an otherwise enjoyable drive in some heavy rain we had that day:

(See attached picture of the aftermath)

Unlike some Model 3 videos that I saw, the bumper of my 2022 Model Y Performance did not fully come off; however, the rear fascia detached due to the high drag from the water and folded itself back behind the car, popping/pulling the rear bumper partially out from the body.

There's no paint damage on the bumper as far as I can tell, but our Tesla Service Center here in OKC canceled my appointment and directed me to a 'certified body shop' instead.

Shouldn't the SC at least look and see if they can just pop the bumper back on and simply replace the rear fascia diffuser, and front and mid aero shield panels as stated in Service Bulletin SB-20-12-003? Given that this SB pertains to Model 3s, the issue I've experienced is exactly the same as described.

Any other ideas on how to proceed here?

Thanks.

PS: This thing happening is in total contrast to what I saw from some MIC Model Ys, which apparently do not fall apart in the same (or worse - as in "deeper water") situations. Check this out:

Attachments

• 2022-09-02_14-21.png
    2022-09-02_14-21.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,266
I drove really, really slow. The fisheye lens effect might make it look faster than it was.

That said, it wasn't very deep either, given that the water pooled only to the height of the sidewalk. Compare that to the video from China I posted as a reference.
The roaster tail of water behind your car would say otherwise. Your video “comparison” he was inching through the water not trying to skip over the top like a stone in your video. Like it or not this event is all on you and your failure to understand the inherent danger.

The roaster tail of water behind your car would say otherwise. Your video “comparison” he was inching through the water not trying to skip over the top like a stone in your video. Like it or not this event is all on you and your failure to understand the inherent danger.
Seriously..I know everyone's speed is subjective as far as how slow is slow or how fast is fast....but definitely looks fast based on how the water looks. So I don't feel bad for the OP that this happened, it was going to happen.

It could be the car itself has a flaw...but still don't understand how the OP thinks this was very slow..

I drove really, really slow. The fisheye lens effect might make it look faster than it was.

That said, it wasn't very deep either, given that the water pooled only to the height of the sidewalk. Compare that to the video from China I posted as a reference.
You generated a wake and were spraying the sidewalk with a wall of water. Too fast and too reckless. Tesla was correct to refer you to a body shop.

I'm sure rrohde is so happy Smoky the Bear is here to hold him accountable. You go Team Yelobird World Police

Regardless of how fast he was going, (didn't look faster than 25 mph to me), how is the rear of the car folding on itself the OP's fault? If he had drowned some components, and his car stopped functioning, or he somehow drenched some wiring due to driving through the water, then I would understand....but how is driving through standing water and your vehicle folds up not an issue with the manufacturer?
Maybe he was driving too fast...his car still shouldn't have stripped.