Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumper almost ripped off in pooled water

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of how fast he was going, (didn't look faster than 25 mph to me), how is the rear of the car folding on itself the OP's fault? If he had drowned some components, and his car stopped functioning, or he somehow drenched some wiring due to driving through the water, then I would understand....but how is driving through standing water and your vehicle folds up not an issue with the manufacturer?
Maybe he was driving too fast...his car still shouldn't have stripped.
Because it’s a Flood not simple rain. Its an SUV not a pontoon boat. Wow I can see both sides of most any story but based on his video to say this is somehow Teslas fault is a Huge stretch. Is a cliff just a big pothole? No driver with common sense should do something like this. Sometimes the world isn’t wrong it’s just You!

The SC's don't really do bodywork, which is why they directed you to a body shop. Their assumption is that you are at fault, so no warranty coverage. And the TSB implies that cars built after a certain date in April 2019 have some sort of update to the rear fascia that should prevent the issue that the earlier cars had in this scenario (even at low speeds), so unless your car was built before that date (I don't remember when MY production started) you're probably out of luck. I'd try popping it back in myself - I suspect you could buy whatever clips are used.

Regardless of how fast he was going, (didn't look faster than 25 mph to me), how is the rear of the car folding on itself the OP's fault? If he had drowned some components, and his car stopped functioning, or he somehow drenched some wiring due to driving through the water, then I would understand....but how is driving through standing water and your vehicle folds up not an issue with the manufacturer?
Seriously???

Bumper isn't designed to hold nor evacuate that much water.

Also before this gets anymore stupid, you'd see more ICE cars doing the same if they didn't DIE going thru water like this.

yes.. it's all about how fast you are going.

maxresdefault.jpg

Once you go fast enough to get water pressure in behind that rear bumper, there's going to be a terrible amount of force applied to that plastic bumper cover. I think people who are used to driving Trucks, Jeep Wranglers, etc get the idea that they should be able to just blast through flood waters, so long as they don't drown the engine out. Once you breach water in behind that rear bumper cover, even a small amount of speed is going to force it out behind the vehicle. Leave the water fording to vehicles designed for it.