Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumpy ride "Rear Spring replacement"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true at all. There is no comfortable cushy suspension super cars or fast sporty cars. Try the "Moose Test" with cushy suspension cars and compare that with sport suspension sport(y) cars.

If MY has zero damping you will be bouncing forever. You are trying to compare the EV suv/cuv with 911 or R8 with adjustable suspension with $200k plus price tags? LOL

Just get a Prius and be bored.

911/R8 is better DD than MY is just laughable. =)

This take is absurd.

Reviewers who have been critical of the Model Y suspension have made very specific critiques and compared it directly to the German competition.

Tesla could offer a magnetic or air ride suspension that would resolve a lot of the critiques of the suspension, and even make a nice profit on it, but they won't do it because it would cut into the sales of the Model X.

Not true at all. There is no comfortable cushy suspension super cars or fast sporty cars. Try the "Moose Test" with cushy suspension cars and compare that with sport suspension sport(y) cars.

If MY has zero damping you will be bouncing forever. You are trying to compare the EV suv/cuv with 911 or R8 with adjustable suspension with $200k plus price tags? LOL

Just get a Prius and be bored.

911/R8 is better DD than MY is just laughable. =)

The fact that you're using the "Moose test" as a method or an excuse of rationalizing that the Model Y suspension and comfortable it i tells me that I am wasting my time. The Model Y's dampening and body control is significantly below anything in its class. I'm bouncing around in my 2021 Model Y with Inductions.

I never said the 911/R8 are better DD's. I did say the suspension is better sorted to handle bumps and potholes and are very livable day to day. You don't feel every single crack in the road unlike the Model Y. The GLC and X3 and Q5 have suspension setups that are significantly better at handling day to day driving and they are in the same price range.

Reactions: sleepydoc
This take is absurd.

Reviewers who have been critical of the Model Y suspension have made very specific critiques and compared it directly to the German competition.

Tesla could offer a magnetic or air ride suspension that would resolve a lot of the critiques of the suspension, and even make a nice profit on it, but they won't do it because it would cut into the sales of the Model X.
Don't try to rationalize with fanboys. They're blind and will come up with any excuse to defend their stance. Anyone with a brain will understand the Model Y lacks any kind of body control or dampening five minutes after they drive it on anything that's not a freshly paved road. I put up with that flaw because I love everything else about the car, mostly.

I don't consider myself a fanboy. I've had many different new vehicles ranging from luxury cars to sports cars. I have NO IDEA what anyone is talking about when the subject of the Model Y's suspension comes up. Is it velvety smooth? - no. Is it super sporty? - no. It's very decent. It rides better than two previous cars I had (2013 VW GTI, 2015 Mustang GT) and honestly about as smooth as my 2014 Mercedes E-coupe or as the 2018 Audi Q5 I traded in for the Model Y.

Our Model 3 needed new tires last week so I drove the two back to back and the Model Y feels a lot more buttoned down than our 2020 Model 3. I don't see people complaining as much about the Model 3's ride.

I don't know if I got a good example of the Model Y or if everyone here has some unrealistic standards -- or if all of my last 10+ cars have just been equal or worse in ride quality than the Model Y.

Every time I see these threads about the poor ride quality, I feel like I'm being gas lighted.

Don't try to rationalize with fanboys. They're blind and will come up with any excuse to defend their stance. Anyone with a brain will understand the Model Y lacks any kind of body control or dampening five minutes after they drive it on anything that's not a freshly paved road. I put up with that flaw because I love everything else about the car, mostly.
It's the exact opposite actually. Never Tesla boys always come up with any excuse to criticize anything that they don't like and never admit they are wrong at all. If MY lack s any body control, you and I would be dead by now.. Never Tesla boys always claim that they compare MY with German competitors, and they always compare with at least $100k plus sports "SEDANS" or super cars that has totally different driving dynamics and characteristics.
I am not defending every aspect of Tesla cars here. It has limits and a lot of things to improve, but statement like "no body control, or no damping at all, etc." make me comment and correct the uneducated statements
How to interpret The "Moose Test" is key here. It shows those soft, comfortable, well body controlled suspensions of Toyotas, Ford, and Porches miserably fail the tests while "harsh" "no damping" Tesla comfortably passes the test.
Yes, Tesla cars have stiffer suspension setups and it can improve more in areas, but at this price point and performance, the suspension set up is more than adequate to support the vehicle dynamics as designed and intended.

I don't consider myself a fanboy. I've had many different new vehicles ranging from luxury cars to sports cars. I have NO IDEA what anyone is talking about when the subject of the Model Y's suspension comes up. Is it velvety smooth? - no. Is it super sporty? - no. It's very decent. It rides better than two previous cars I had (2013 VW GTI, 2015 Mustang GT) and honestly about as smooth as my 2014 Mercedes E-coupe or as the 2018 Audi Q5 I traded in for the Model Y.

Our Model 3 needed new tires last week so I drove the two back to back and the Model Y feels a lot more buttoned down than our 2020 Model 3. I don't see people complaining as much about the Model 3's ride.

I don't know if I got a good example of the Model Y or if everyone here has some unrealistic standards -- or if all of my last 10+ cars have just been equal or worse in ride quality than the Model Y.

Every time I see these threads about the poor ride quality, I feel like I'm being gas lighted.
There is another explanation which is that the quality of roads where you are is not representative of the quality of roads in other parts of the country where people might have a higher degree of dissatisfaction with Tesla's approach.

In places where people get winter weather there is typically very little smooth black top to drive on. Virtually all of the heavily travelled roads will be segmented concrete in various stages of decay. There are lots of expansion joints.

I have driven a lot of cars, having owned at this point I believe 18 of them from all corners of the globe.

The suspension on my LR Model 3 is not terrible but it is extremely stiff, probably stiffer than my 2007 Audi A4 that had a sports suspension. Unlike the Audi which was very quiet, the Model 3 has a lot of little rattles in it.

I test drove a MYLR with 19" rims a few months ago and then placed my order. My take on the MY was that the suspension/noise has improved notably from my example M3 but it is still not as good as the German competition, which seems more suitable to the kind of roads I regularly am forced to drive.

Since I find the 19" rims to be hideously ugly with the aero covers I ordered the car with the 20" wheels. Hopefully I don't regret my decision.

Reactions: iamnid
It's the exact opposite actually. Never Tesla boys always come up with any excuse to criticize anything that they don't like and never admit they are wrong at all. If MY lack s any body control, you and I would be dead by now.. Never Tesla boys always claim that they compare MY with German competitors, and they always compare with at least $100k plus sports "SEDANS" or super cars that has totally different driving dynamics and characteristics.
I am not defending every aspect of Tesla cars here. It has limits and a lot of things to improve, but statement like "no body control, or no damping at all, etc." make me comment and correct the uneducated statements
How to interpret The "Moose Test" is key here. It shows those soft, comfortable, well body controlled suspensions of Toyotas, Ford, and Porches miserably fail the tests while "harsh" "no damping" Tesla comfortably passes the test.
Yes, Tesla cars have stiffer suspension setups and it can improve more in areas, but at this price point and performance, the suspension set up is more than adequate to support the vehicle dynamics as designed and intended.

1. Do you know what body control is? How would a lack of body control kill you? Getting swayed side to side to death?

2. I compared the Model Y to German competitors in its class in my last post. The Q5, X3 and GLC have significantly better suspension than the Model Y. When you're driving day to day, you don't want to feel every single crack in the road and the Model Y's suspension just isn't up to the task, especially with the 20" Induction wheels.

3. You keep adding words so it suits your narrative. I never said it had 'no dampening'. I said it had abysmal or non-existant dampening and still stand by that statement. I was also being facetious a little to get a point across.

4. The Moose test isn't a good indicator of a suspension's performance and has nothing to do with how well a car rides. Stop bringing it up. It's a moot point. Not sure what your infatuation with the test is and why.

5. You admit that the suspension of the Model Y is stiffer than the competition yet fail to realize that cars like the X3, GLC, and Q5 exist and are just fine to live with day to day and are in the same price range. This isn't a race car and 99% of people won't go anywhere near a track or go anywhere near the limits of the car. There is zero reason to have a suspension setup where I'm bouncing around or avoiding potholes and cracks in the road. If the road isn't smooth as glass, the Model Y's suspension significantly lacks any type of composure.

6. If you want to correct 'uneducated statements', you may want to go back and correct your own comment where you mentioned the Model Y suspension is fine for day to day use. That's an uneducated statement. I'm having to correct your uneducated statement especially when you come up and say 'I'd be dead if the car didn't have body control'. Now THAT is an uneducated statement.

Why is the model Y so bumpy? I feel every bump in the road ...https://www.reddit.com › TeslaLounge › comments › w...
Low key worst thing about the Model Y- suspension is stiff AF.
Love my Y but the suspension provides a harsh ride - Reddit
Model Y felt every imperfection on the road. Bad suspension?
Question about Model Y ride quality. : r/TeslaLounge - Reddithttps://www.reddit.com › comments › tskuzg › question...
Anybody else a bit disappointed by the bumpy ride? - Reddithttps://www.reddit.com › comments › juk668 › anybod...
Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad? | Page 3https://teslamotorsclub.com › tmc › threads › page-3
Ride Quality of Tesla Model Y | Page 6https://teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model Y
Model Y Suspension and Ride Comfort Options - Tesla Motors ...https://teslamotorsclub.com › tmc › threads › model-y-s...
Model Y Stiff Ride Softening Recommendations - Tesla Motors ...https://teslamotorsclub.com › ... › Model Y

I can keep going.

There is another explanation which is that the quality of roads where you are is not representative of the quality of roads in other parts of the country where people might have a higher degree of dissatisfaction with Tesla's approach.

In places where people get winter weather there is typically very little smooth black top to drive on. Virtually all of the heavily travelled roads will be segmented concrete in various stages of decay. There are lots of expansion joints.

I have driven a lot of cars, having owned at this point I believe 18 of them from all corners of the globe.

The suspension on my LR Model 3 is not terrible but it is extremely stiff, probably stiffer than my 2007 Audi A4 that had a sports suspension. Unlike the Audi which was very quiet, the Model 3 has a lot of little rattles in it.

I test drove a MYLR with 19" rims a few months ago and then placed my order. My take on the MY was that the suspension/noise has improved notably from my example M3 but it is still not as good as the German competition, which seems more suitable to the kind of roads I regularly am forced to drive.

Since I find the 19" rims to be hideously ugly with the aero covers I ordered the car with the 20" wheels. Hopefully I don't regret my decision.

You're going to regret the decision to get the 20" Inductions very quickly.

1. Do you know what body control is? How would a lack of body control kill you? Getting swayed side to side to death?
Watch the "Moose Test" video again and watch your precious Porsche lost "body control", and yes, swaying side to side CAN kill people and it's been all over the internet people swirveing side to side and hit either center divider or side rail or to the ditch or other cars and kill themselves or other people or both.

Watch the "Moose Test" video again and watch your precious Porsche lost "body control", and yes, swaying side to side CAN kill people and it's been all over the internet people swirveing side to side and hit either center divider or side rail or to the ditch or other cars and kill themselves or other people or both.

1. If it's 'All over the internet' I want you to prove it. Post a link. I'm waiting to see how poor body control has has resulted in people dying. I want swaying to be the root cause of the death too. Also, you have absolutely no idea what body control is.

2. You have zero idea what you're talking about.

3. Go back and read point #4 in my previous post. The Moose test is a moot point. It means NOTHING in terms of suspension comfort. Zero. Zilch. I don't know what your infatuation is with the Moose test and why you think it's remotely relevant to ride comfort. Until you can come up with something other than a Moose test, this discussion is over.

4. You're a fanboy and are blind.

Toodles.

Last edited:
I find Y perfectly acceptable in all roads except one - gravelly or rough roads. I can confirm that X3 performed far better under these conditions and even my wife confirmed that right away.

Germans definitely know how to tune suspension better than Tesla - even their electric (heavy) vehicles are better tuned than the Y.

But I don't find Tesla "miles worse" than X3 - I got used to it now, and it's not a big deal anymore. I don't miss the X3 ride.

Now, if that "soft" suspension that someone mentioned on this forum, which is supposed to be an official part from Tesla and smooths out rough roads considerably better than the stock one, I would jump on it right away!

I find Y perfectly acceptable in all roads except one - gravelly or rough roads. I can confirm that X3 performed far better under these conditions and even my wife confirmed that right away.

Germans definitely know how to tune suspension better than Tesla - even their electric (heavy) vehicles are better tuned than the Y.

But I don't find Tesla "miles worse" than X3 - I got used to it now, and it's not a big deal anymore. I don't miss the X3 ride.

Now, if that "soft" suspension that someone mentioned on this forum, which is supposed to be an official part from Tesla and smooths out rough roads considerably better than the stock one, I would jump on it right away!
That's fair.

I compared the Model Y to German competitors in its class in my last post. The Q5, X3 and GLC have significantly better suspension than the Model Y.
If you are referring to the standard GLC 300 I agree however it holds the road like any normal SUV which is not all that good and would never compete with a Y on a test track. I had a GLC 43 AMG prior to the Y and can tell you the ride quality in the Y is better. The Merc had constant rattles all the time and the dealership would always say this is normal on all AMG vehicles due to the sport suspension and I needed to live with the rattles. Not my best car experience for sure.

All, The ride on my Model Y has improved a lot. There are 2 changes I did, first was to get the tire pressure reduced to 38psi on all 4 tires. I wouldn’t say that helped a lot

Secondly, took a test drive in another Model Y (service car that had been driven few thousand miles). To my amazement the ride was much smoother and I could immediately feel that the bumps were better absorbed. I was recommended by the technician to have softer springs in the rear suspension to which I reluctantly agreed (didn’t had other option), please see the attached part # in the screenshot.
Hmm I wonder if you needed softer springs really but I am glad to hear you found a solution to your concerns.
You mention you drove a service car which had a few thousand miles on it . I’ll Assume it is a 2022 performance model y with the original spring revision. This is an interesting statement. I found that my 2022 model y performance (12/2021) ride quality became significantly better over time after driving about 4,500 miles. My tire psi is 48.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair
All, The ride on my Model Y has improved a lot. There are 2 changes I did, first was to get the tire pressure reduced to 38psi on all 4 tires. I wouldn’t say that helped a lot

Secondly, took a test drive in another Model Y (service car that had been driven few thousand miles). To my amazement the ride was much smoother and I could immediately feel that the bumps were better absorbed. I was recommended by the technician to have softer springs in the rear suspension to which I reluctantly agreed (didn’t had other option), please see the attached part # in the screenshot. I must say there is a drastic improvement after the replacement and I do not crib about the ride anymore :)

Thanks
Which service center was this ? I also happen to live in MN and would like to give it a shot. BTW is your model Y a LR or P ?

Reactions: sleepydoc
Or the expectations of users are drastically different. No it doesn’t ride like a Buick Roadmaster but it also is not like a tank. Bottom line yes it has a performance type suspension which some assume by the price should be a cushy luxury ride. I drove a Honda Insight gen1, the Y is practically a Rolls Royce by comparison.
Mine is definitely pretty close to a tank. I was taking some curves on some bumpier roads the other day and it wouldn't hold the road even though I wasn't driving anywhere near what I would consider aggressive. So what I have is a stiff ride that jostles me around, spills my coffee, lets me feel every bump in the road but doesn't handle turns if there's any imperfection in the road. Tell me, how is this good?

Reactions: HotIce
Let’s get back to figuring out if there are indeed different springs available. Comparing peoples’ opinions is so absurd given specifics of ride quality is highly subjective and dependent on many variables.

Also - all those that complain incessantly about the ride - sell the damn car already and gtfo. I’ve had more compliant rides but all in all I love the car. If I hated the ride I can assure you I’d get rid of it.