Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumpy ride "Rear Spring replacement"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine is definitely pretty close to a tank. I was taking some curves on some bumpier roads the other day and it wouldn't hold the road even though I wasn't driving anywhere near what I would consider aggressive. So what I have is a stiff ride that jostles me around, spills my coffee, lets me feel every bump in the road but doesn't handle turns if there's any imperfection in the road. Tell me, how is this good?
my parents who drive 2017 Toyota Avalon spills coffee/tea while driving around town always drive slower than the posted speed limit. They told me the car ride is very harsh and stiff. I told them I could hit multiple pot holes and blow all tires on that car and still would not feel anything. LOL :cool:

Reactions: thesmokingman
Has anyone found out more info what the difference is between A, B, and C revisions of the rear coil springs? I asked my SC and I have B. They quoted me $581 to replace with C. But said they don’t have any details on differences along with no guarantee on changes in ride quality.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Has anyone found out more info what the difference is between A, B, and C revisions of the rear coil springs? I asked my SC and I have B. They quoted me $581 to replace with C. But said they don’t have any details on differences along with no guarantee on changes in ride quality.
Look up the codes, it's not just the spring but also the damper. The 2020 and 2021 have a very high amount of low speed bump/compression set into the damper, this is what makes them feel stiff and unyielding. The coil spring/damper combo is onto revision E and F now.

Reactions: HotIce
Look up the codes, it's not just the spring but also the damper. The 2020 and 2021 have a very high amount of low speed bump/compression set into the damper, this is what makes them feel stiff and unyielding. The coil spring/damper combo is onto revision E and F now.
How do we know which version of springs are we getting. I have a MYP on order, and love to get the latest versions with sorted/comfortable ride.

Part Numbers?
Part Numbers? Also assume that a recently built car would have the latest? Can we look on the strut/spring assembly and tell?

Part Numbers? Also assume that a recently built car would have the latest? Can we look on the strut/spring assembly and tell?

There are 8 different spring part numbers and 5 different damper part numbers. (The rear suspension is not a strut/spring assembly, they are separate.)

Some of them I can figure out what they go to, the Performance or RWD variant, others I have no idea:

Dampers:
1657044222853.png

Springs:

1657044142757.png

1657044250242.png

In some cases they list two revisions for a given part, but what is the difference between the "LOW" and not "LOW" versions of the springs? (Is the low one softer?)

What do the xx-yyyy numbers mean on the parts?

Based on the front part numbers I assume the "SP" dampers are for Austin made Model Ys. (Austin appears to use different front damper/spring assemblies.) Maybe only for the non-long range variant. And then based on the part numbers the "81-7300" springs would be for Austin Model Ys as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Casss
There's a disconnect here. Can a Honda Pilot do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds? Can the Pilot cover the 1/4 mile in 12.4 seconds? Can the Pilot nail down .88g on the skidpad?? All that performance comes with a suspension able to control all that weight. The Y is never going to turn into a an Accord or insert whatever boat.

That said, the suspension will soften up to some degree after a few K miles. However as I wrote it's never gonna be a plush ride so it's kind of odd that you would have that expectation since you bought the car.
Then why does the Model "S" ride so good? It can certainly do all of the above?

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman