Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y bumpy ride "Rear Spring replacement"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are 8 different spring part numbers and 5 different damper part numbers. (The rear suspension is not a strut/spring assembly, they are separate.)

Some of them I can figure out what they go to, the Performance or RWD variant, others I have no idea:

Dampers:
View attachment 825041

Springs:

View attachment 825039
View attachment 825042
In some cases they list two revisions for a given part, but what is the difference between the "LOW" and not "LOW" versions of the springs? (Is the low one softer?)

What do the xx-yyyy numbers mean on the parts?

Based on the front part numbers I assume the "SP" dampers are for Austin made Model Ys. (Austin appears to use different front damper/spring assemblies.) Maybe only for the non-long range variant. And then based on the part numbers the "81-7300" springs would be for Austin Model Ys as well.

The Performance model is said to have a lower suspension, so maybe it's as simple as a low riding spring for that model.

As for the numbers, they don't quite marry up to what you'd expect unless the units are different to normal, but one number is usually the weight to compress it by a fixed amount (often pounds to conpress 1 inch) and the other is travel length (in inches). As imperial measures don't really work, I can't see it having a 81 or 7300 inch travel length, but If this was metric, it might (and I'm guessing) have a travel length of 81 to 95 mm and 7000 Newtons is around 700 kg or 1600lbs. Either way, the iteration number for a given part doesn't seem to differ from one to the next. #just speculating

All, The ride on my Model Y has improved a lot. There are 2 changes I did, first was to get the tire pressure reduced to 38psi on all 4 tires. I wouldn’t say that helped a lot

Secondly, took a test drive in another Model Y (service car that had been driven few thousand miles). To my amazement the ride was much smoother and I could immediately feel that the bumps were better absorbed. I was recommended by the technician to have softer springs in the rear suspension to which I reluctantly agreed (didn’t had other option), please see the attached part # in the screenshot. I must say there is a drastic improvement after the replacement and I do not crib about the ride anymore :)

Thanks
Good morning. After reading your message I immediately send the screenshot to my local Tesla dealer and they ordered these parts, will be mounted end next week. They say it are the rear dampers, that is a bit confusing for me as you call them springs...? Can you confirm wether you have new springs or dampers/shock absorbers? Thanks and best regards, Roland