Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y car Accident, Need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All! I unfortunately got into a car accident in my MY Long Range. It broke my heart into pieces. The car was picked up mid November I have 9000 miles. I took it straight to my local shop where I've had work done on a bunch of my friends, and families cars. All came out great. I'm beginning to get worried. I keep reading I need to take it to a Tesla certified shop and the shop I took it to is not. He is allowed to buy Tesla parts but his shop never got approved. He's already started the work and it's coming along nice. I guess my main question is, will it be okay? I intend on driving this car to the ground as long as I can. Even if I get new cars I was planning on riding this one as my beater eventually for work. Now I'm hesitant on even keeping it. Should I take it Tesla after for another look? I've uploaded some photos of the car. Can I have some advice?

Attachments

• 20210304_173001.jpg
    20210304_173001.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 20210304_172956.jpg
    20210304_172956.jpg
    989.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20210304_172955.jpg
    20210304_172955.jpg
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210304_172953.jpg
    20210304_172953.jpg
    968.7 KB · Views: 125
Oh man, that sucks.... IMO, it's more important to have a shop you've used before and trust, than that it's necessarily Tesla certified. I mean, it is a car, after all, with suspension and bodywork just like others. As long as there isn't damage to any Tesla-unique items (battery pack, motor) I would think you'd be ok. If you don't mind my asking, what is the estimate for repairs?

I had that happen to my Mini Cooper. Some old geezer (family said he was not supposed to be driving) got confused and hit the gas instead of the brakes in a parking lot. T boned my parked Mini Cooper in reverse. Insurance company wouldn’t total the car because it was 9 months old. It was repaired but never drove the same. Suspension is always having problems and rattles galore on that side. YMMV but I say cut your losses.

101dals: Normally I'd agree with the "cut your losses" mentality, but this Tesla damage is hardly a Mini that was T-boned.

I'd recommend staying with the shop you know. Personal relationship is key, in my opinion. If they're honest, they'll tell you if there's something "Tesla specific" that they can't handle.

Good luck with the repair. Hope it works out for you.

Certified Shops have the right tools and equipment (about $200K). They also have the training. Given the damage in the picture you should have taken it to a certified shop.
This is a classic issue, when choosing service in any industry.

In theory, I agree with you. "Certified" should mean something, with tools, equipment, training. I'll never know, living in DFW, how good your shops are.

However, after my many decades of experience, I've seen that even "Certified" shops can produce less than "certified" level service.

The OP will be a single data, point, for sure, but I will always stay with a shop I know, with a relationship with mgmt that I respect. IF that relationship is good, and mgmt is honest, mgmt would admit to his shops' limits re: repair work.

Reactions: DanDi58

In theory, I agree with you. "Certified" should mean something, with tools, equipment, training. I'll never know, living in DFW, how good your shops are.

However, after my many decades of experience, I've seen that even "Certified" shops can produce less than "certified" level service.

The OP will be a single data, point, for sure, but I will always stay with a shop I know, with a relationship with mgmt that I respect. IF that relationship is good, and mgmt is honest, mgmt would admit to his shops' limits re: repair work.
I agree. All Tesla Certified Body Shops are not created equal.

Good morning! He actually just called me this morning. He said one of the parts that needs to be repaired is too close to the battery for his comfort. He will be towing it to his friends shop who is tesla certified and has a battery removal device. They will remove battery work on the part and then put the battery back. He sent images of how it's coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_091838.jpg
    IMG_20210407_091838.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20210407_091831.jpg
    IMG_20210407_091831.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Informative
Reactions: mark95476
Oh man, that sucks.... IMO, it's more important to have a shop you've used before and trust, than that it's necessarily Tesla certified. I mean, it is a car, after all, with suspension and bodywork just like others. As long as there isn't damage to any Tesla-unique items (battery pack, motor) I would think you'd be ok. If you don't mind my asking, what is the estimate for repairs?
Thank you so much for your reply! My insurance company sent a check for $9000. The body shop owner said he purchased at least that much in parts. The owner of the shop I've known for about 15 years and is practically family to me at this point. Heck he's invited to my wedding lol. He said it's going to be around $15,000 with his labor costs.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476