Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Car Wash question - East Coast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my Model S and Model 3 enjoy the relatively mild So Cal weather, my son and DIL are enjoying their new Model Y in snowy, stormy, ice-cold Pittsburgh, PA....A question came up regarding what is the preferred car wash type for that environment for their Y, since they are unable to wash it themselves at home. They have 2 choices: A brush-type car wash, or a brushless, chemical car wash.

My first thought is to avoid the brushes; but since I'm in So Cal, I have no clue what chemicals are involved in the chemical car wash (never heard of it before), and how that might affect Tesla's questionable paint quality.

I'd like to get some feedback from any East-coast Tesla owners on their recommendations, so I can pass it on. TIA :D

If you care about maintaining the paint finish on the Tesla then a touch less car wash is what you want to use. The touch less car wash uses strong detergents and water to wash the vehicle. No spinning cloths or brushes touch the vehicle. The detergents used in the touch less wash can leave a residue on the vehicle. This residue most often shows up on the blacked out trim as either a rainbow like stain or as mottled brown spots. This residue can be removed with the application of a number of vehicle trim color restorer products including Mothers Back-to-Black.

I prefer to use a rinse less wash, Optimum No Rinse (ONR.) The Model Y has lots of glass, including the roof so I use Invisible Glass on all of the glass surfaces. As long as the temperature is above 40F I have had no issue with using ONR mixed with 2 gallons of warm water, one bucket with a good grit guard and a cross cut sponge. I use medium size microfiber towels to dry off the panels of the Model Y as I wash. I wear kitchen gloves so my hands don't get cold. It takes ~30 minutes to complete a No Rinse wash of the Model Y, perhaps another 10 minutes to do the door jambs and the inside of the hatch.

Another option is to use the self-service car wash where you walk around the vehicle with a high pressure washer. Not a great wash but enough until you can perform a proper wash of the vehicle.

If possible you want to avoid getting the window seals wet as the window can freeze to the seal and prevent the Tesla door from opening. The problem is the seal at the bottom of the window where the glass descends into the door. This seal is a fabric material that stays wet for days. That is why I prefer to wash the glass by spraying Invisible Glass as this product contains alcohol. Invisible Glass leaves no residue and does not get the window seal wet. (If the window seal does freeze due to rain, snow and sleet you can apply deicing spray to melt the ice, use a credit card to carefully break the ice away from the window. Don't use windshield washer fluid except in the washer reservoir as winter mix windshield washer fluid contains Methanol. Methanol is highly toxic and can be absorbed through the skin.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ahcpa