TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model Y cargo capacity

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by TrevTremaine, Mar 15, 2019.

1. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

I'm trying to make sense of the capacities of the Model Y - Musk mentioned 66 cubic feet of cargo capacity. I'm thinking that's with the seats folded down, which is slightly less than comparable compact SUVs. Any idea of what it might be with the rear seats upright? Any ideas of what it might be for the frunk?

2. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

Typically Tesla reports cargo space including the frunk, which is basically negligible on Model 3 compared to Model X - I don't know number off-hand but it can't be more than 2 cu ft. I would imagine it would be very similar for Y. Maybe it gets a touch more depth?

The 66 has to be with rear seats folded down. A Prius with rear seats folded down is 62ish, and roughly 24 with rear seats up.

3. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

BMW X4 and X6, which are also coupe-SUVs, only have 50/60 sq-ft per Google, and they are larger than the Model 3 (which is basically the size of MY).

4. woodisgood

All with rear seats down:

X4 50
    NX200 55
    RX350 56
    GLC400 57
    RDX 59
    X6 60
    Prius 63
    X3 63
    X5 72
    Rav4 73
    CR-V 76

When it comes to buyers cross-shopping other luxury coupes, the cargo space is slightly better. Will it pull people from their Ravs and CR-Vs? Maybe not from a cargo perspective...

• Informative x 1
  5. bmms8

bmms8 Member

I assume rav4 and crv have a lot due to the square hatch?

• Like x 2
  6. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

The Model 3 frunk is 2 cu ft. Assuming it grows to 3 cu ft with the extra height, that leaves 63 cu ft for the cabin cargo. That is too much to be behind the mid row, so it is likely with both rear and mid rows folded.

Others
    X: 88
    S: 58
    e-tron: 57
    Bolt EV: 56.6
    Niro EV: 53
    Kona Electric: 46
    I-PACE: 40.6

7. woodisgood

Didn't realize the I-Pace was so stingy in this department. Christ, that thing is dead.

• Like x 1
  8. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Any ideas about cargo with the rear seats upright?

9. TKTes75

TKTes75 Member

Thanks for the comparison. I do not believe any of those vehicles come with an optional 3rd row. Cargo space aside, the question remains if the Y's 3rd row is actually usable or just their for decoration.

• Like x 1
  10. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Looking at it, it's probably marginally more comfortable than the jump seats for the Model S. I think it'll be mostly for smaller kids (or in-laws).

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  11. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Apparently the 40.6 cf number is wrong. Should be 51 cf. This puts the I-PACE closer to it's competition, but it's obviously less utilitarian.

X: 88
    Y: ~63
    S: 58
    e-tron: 57
    Bolt EV: 56.6
    Niro EV: 53
    I-PACE: 51
    Kona Electric: 46

BTW, here are the frunk numbers I have (not included above):
    X: 7 cu ft
    Y: 3?
    S: 5.3
    e-tron: 2.1
    I-PACE: 1
    Bolt EV, Niro EV, Kona Electric: None

• Like x 1
  12. montreid

montreid Member

Frunk should be unchanged by the looks of the front = Model 3.
    I'm wondering if they even elongated the base and simply are jiggering the top of the cabin for the pana and hatchback closing.

Regardless - direct Niro EV vs HR-V/RAV4 at the entry and the iPace /XC40/X3 premium CUV/SUV segment.

Things can get very interesting in 2021 Ford and GM better have something cooking really good.

Niro EV has the market to themselves for 2020 at least

13. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Not likely. The car nose appears longer than the 3 and it is definitely taller between the headlights. I'd say 3 cf on the low end, maybe 5.

14. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

• Like x 1
  15. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Subaru is the competition in my area. Forrester has boxy back, 5 seats, high 70’s cubic feet (not split with frunk). Price substantially less.
    How much more space in the Y without the $3k third row installed?

16. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

Basically, this is my comparison as well. I can load almost as much in the Model S as the Forester, but I'll definitely say the comfort goes to the S. I am looking to the Y to replace either the Model S or the Forester, if it all factors in - space, towing, comfort and functionality. I don't want that 3rd row except to potentially use as a "timeout" space.

17. LamFam

LamFam Member

Good question! This would be the selling point for me as we need cargo room behind the second row. I'm hoping 30+ cuft? Can't find answers anywhere (or haven't looked hard enough).

18. thehesiod

thehesiod New Member

ya cargo capacity w/ rear seats up is what will differentiate this from a e-tron for me as I'm looking to potentially store two strollers with some extra room

• Like x 1
  19. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

#19 Vitold, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Quite a lot since they can fit whole 3rd row seat there. Width wise probably more than any compact SUV. You can see Y’s trunk opening in Tesla promo included in the beginning of the video below.

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

You really think it’s going to be wider than a CRV? I don’t know, three adults were looking pretty tight on those test drives and reminded me of the 3. One would hope it is wi