Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y cargo capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to make sense of the capacities of the Model Y - Musk mentioned 66 cubic feet of cargo capacity. I'm thinking that's with the seats folded down, which is slightly less than comparable compact SUVs. Any idea of what it might be with the rear seats upright? Any ideas of what it might be for the frunk?

Typically Tesla reports cargo space including the frunk, which is basically negligible on Model 3 compared to Model X - I don't know number off-hand but it can't be more than 2 cu ft. I would imagine it would be very similar for Y. Maybe it gets a touch more depth?

The 66 has to be with rear seats folded down. A Prius with rear seats folded down is 62ish, and roughly 24 with rear seats up.

All with rear seats down:

X4 50
NX200 55
RX350 56
GLC400 57
RDX 59
X6 60
Prius 63
X3 63
X5 72
Rav4 73
CR-V 76

When it comes to buyers cross-shopping other luxury coupes, the cargo space is slightly better. Will it pull people from their Ravs and CR-Vs? Maybe not from a cargo perspective...

• Informative
Reactions: EvanLin
The Model 3 frunk is 2 cu ft. Assuming it grows to 3 cu ft with the extra height, that leaves 63 cu ft for the cabin cargo. That is too much to be behind the mid row, so it is likely with both rear and mid rows folded.

Others
X: 88
S: 58
e-tron: 57
Bolt EV: 56.6
Niro EV: 53
Kona Electric: 46
I-PACE: 40.6

All with rear seats down:

X4 50
NX200 55
RX350 56
GLC400 57
RDX 59
X6 60
Prius 63
X3 63
X5 72
Rav4 73
CR-V 76

When it comes to buyers cross-shopping other luxury coupes, the cargo space is slightly better. Will it pull people from their Ravs and CR-Vs? Maybe not from a cargo perspective...

Thanks for the comparison. I do not believe any of those vehicles come with an optional 3rd row. Cargo space aside, the question remains if the Y's 3rd row is actually usable or just their for decoration.

Reactions: woodisgood
Thanks for the comparison. I do not believe any of those vehicles come with an optional 3rd row. Cargo space aside, the question remains if the Y's 3rd row is actually usable or just their for decoration.

Looking at it, it's probably marginally more comfortable than the jump seats for the Model S. I think it'll be mostly for smaller kids (or in-laws).

Didn't realize the I-Pace was so stingy in this department. Christ, that thing is dead.
Apparently the 40.6 cf number is wrong. Should be 51 cf. This puts the I-PACE closer to it's competition, but it's obviously less utilitarian.

X: 88
Y: ~63
S: 58
e-tron: 57
Bolt EV: 56.6
Niro EV: 53
I-PACE: 51
Kona Electric: 46

BTW, here are the frunk numbers I have (not included above):
X: 7 cu ft
Y: 3?
S: 5.3
e-tron: 2.1
I-PACE: 1
Bolt EV, Niro EV, Kona Electric: None

Reactions: woodisgood
Frunk should be unchanged by the looks of the front = Model 3.
I'm wondering if they even elongated the base and simply are jiggering the top of the cabin for the pana and hatchback closing.

Regardless - direct Niro EV vs HR-V/RAV4 at the entry and the iPace /XC40/X3 premium CUV/SUV segment.

Things can get very interesting in 2021 Ford and GM better have something cooking really good.

Niro EV has the market to themselves for 2020 at least

and here's the picture from this thread:

a9ace66e-d7a4-4f01-abb6-48452137491c-png.386813

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Subaru is the competition in my area. Forrester has boxy back, 5 seats, high 70’s cubic feet (not split with frunk). Price substantially less.
How much more space in the Y without the $3k third row installed?

Subaru is the competition in my area. Forrester has boxy back, 5 seats, high 70’s cubic feet (not split with frunk). Price substantially less.
How much more space in the Y without the $3k third row installed?

Basically, this is my comparison as well. I can load almost as much in the Model S as the Forester, but I'll definitely say the comfort goes to the S. I am looking to the Y to replace either the Model S or the Forester, if it all factors in - space, towing, comfort and functionality. I don't want that 3rd row except to potentially use as a "timeout" space.

Quite a lot since they can fit whole 3rd row seat there. Width wise probably more than any compact SUV. You can see Y’s trunk opening in Tesla promo included in the beginning of the video below.

You really think it’s going to be wider than a CRV? I don’t know, three adults were looking pretty tight on those test drives and reminded me of the 3. One would hope it is wi