Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y change of plans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys

so my EDD is end of August for my Y, at the moment it’s myself my wife and son in our 3, the Y was to get a bit more space and a bigger boot…slight change of circumstances and we are now expecting twins - very excited

Our son is 2 so still requires a car seat, so would need 3 seats in the car + 2 adults. I would look at moving to an X however we seem a long way away from the new one being launched. Has anyone got any experience putting 3 kids seats in a Y? going to have a look at an IX this afternoon and an ETron (as it has 3 isofix) but wanted to see if anyone can talk me into sticking with my Y order ha 😁

exactly where we were 15 years ago - congratulations! get your sleep in now! I seem to remember we needed 1.4m door to door and the isofix points needed to be spaced far enough to allow our 5 year old to go in the middle on a booster. We went for a honda frv and a discovery 4 as these had 3 separate seats across the rear... probably worth looking at the uk twin and multiple / twins trust website for recommendations, as i remember loads of info on there.

Maybe try - Children's Car Seats & Safety Advice in the UK & Ireland - ICSC and ask for advice, then book appointment.

By now they must have done loads of Teslas (they started doing Model 3s in 2019). They have seats others don't have, including more of a range of Scandinavian - safety level rear facing seats - particularly good when kids are little & necks are weak. They also had US import seats which worked with Model 3 attachments better IIRC. Also, I'd prefer their advice vs general store.

Belfast, Milton Keynes & Rayleigh in Essex

We have a MultiMac which allows 3 or 4 kids in most cars. They are pricy but do the kids up to 12 (the resale value is also good and way cheaper than the extra 50k for an X), although the baby seats are additional. I have a friend with one in the model 3 and it fits no problem.

There are lots of videos of people in the US with 3 child seats but you have to get narrow ones. As others have mentioned there are a few places that let you try them out etc.

Sadly it’s very hard to find a car that can fit 3 in the back, especially if you want isoFix for all of them.

Edit: I expect the eTron will be too small to fit in a double buggy, travel cots etc. we have an X5 which is bigger than the iX and even that struggled with space. So worth considering side of it too.

Reactions: MrT3