Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y changes over time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<<HARDWARE CHANGES>>
Red = Removed Feature
Green = Added Feature
(only applies to objectively better/worse features)

2020 (VIN 000xxx)
  • Introduced

Mid-2020
  • 980 Performance motors no longer in MYLRs (990 motor used instead)

August 2020
  • Taillights changed from red to amber turn signals

Late 2020
  • Heated steering wheel added
  • Auto-dimming side mirrors added
  • Battery upgraded to from 78kWh to 82kWh (performance only?)
  • Removal of 'stealth' Performance config (19" gemini, no spoiler/red calipers/lowered suspension/pedals)
  • Factory-add trailer hitch available
  • MYSR offered
  • USB-A in glove box (sentry mode), all external ports are now USB-C
  • Pedestrian warning speaker added
  • MYP headlights changed to matrix headlights
  • Center console changed to matte-finish
  • Double paned front driver/passenger glass
  • Updated graphics on door-open buttons (used to be a dash, now more of a door symbol)
  • Updated spin-wheel controls on steering wheel (metal instead of plastic)

February 2021
  • 7-seat version offered

March 2021
  • Upgraded windshield wipers with extra nozzles

May 2021 (VIN F190xxx?)
  • Radar Removed
  • Passenger Lumbar Removed
  • MYSR no longer offered

June 2021
  • HEPA Filter (Bioweapons mode) added
  • Removed CCS1 Compatibility

November 2021
  • Center Console USB-C ports no longer support data (power only)
  • Added CCS1 Compatibility back

December 2021
  • MYP's come with All Season tires (instead of summer)

Early (January?) 2022 (VINs 354xxx?)
  • Ryzen Processors replace Intel (VINs starting around ~F8XX)
  • Heated lower windshield (for windshield wipers)
  • Li-ion 15V batteries replace legacy (AGM? Lead Acid?) - incompatible with trailer hitch wiring
  • Removal of one speaker in premium audio package (13 now, previously 14)

June 2022
  • Tesla's Austin plant starts shipping MYSR's with 4680 batteries
  • Rear Cargo Cover included (Austin cars only?)
  • Magnetic center console lid replaces latched one (Austin cars only?)

==================================
China
Late 2021

• Door cards include trim (matching the interior style)
  • Ryzen processors
  • Double paned front and rear door glass

Europe
January 2022

• Range increased (WLTP up from 507km to 533km, Gemini config from 547km to 565km)
Early 2022 (Made in Germany)
  • Rear cargo cover
  • Added trunk cargo anchor latches
  • Felt-lined door pockets
  • Added door pocket ambient lighting

Help with ???'s and anything else I'm missing
When was the SR/SR+ era? VINs?
Anyone know when Austin is online?

Will keep refining....

Moving the USB-A port from the center console to the glovebox changed belatedly turned into a downgrade when a Tesla software update made the USB drive unreliable. Now I have to unplug and plug back in the SD card reader in the USB-A drive at least once a week to recover USB audio and dashcam storage. It's easy with the USB-A drive in the center console but would be a nuisance if it were in the glovebox, which I protect with a PIN.

I have an aug 2020 and can confirm the door button logo change was made back then and not late 2020. Also when they removed the usb port from the console it went from multiple to single port. Do not see mention of removal of the regen adjustment from low to normal.

I read somewhere they started adding some "noise-reducing material" where the rear seat belt buckle rests to prevent them from banging on the plastic. Not sure if that's for MIG, MIC or BOTH. Also not sure if the US cars are getting that. I also spied an "SOS" phone ICON on a MIG PMY in Bjorn's latest YouTube video. I can find and post the video if needed, wonder if that's coming to America.

You DO have the option of adding the mobile connector or wall charger as part of your order.
I built a new order just to see how much my Y would cost today and sure enough the mobile connector is listed as an option. Holy cow, my Y today costs close to $20,000 more. No reason to change it whatsoever, was just curious. With taxes and the options I had taken including FSD, AB and 20" wheels it came to $120,000 CDN. o_O In comparison the 2022 S with FSD and taxes was $147,000 CDN. The gap is closing, so much for the cheap 3/Y line up of Teslas.

I read somewhere they started adding some "noise-reducing material" where the rear seat belt buckle rests to prevent them from banging on the plastic. Not sure if that's for MIG, MIC or BOTH. Also not sure if the US cars are getting that. I also spied an "SOS" phone ICON on a MIG PMY in Bjorn's latest YouTube video. I can find and post the video if needed, wonder if that's coming to America.
All MiC, MiG, and MiA Model Y's now have carpeted lower half of the trunk trim instead of plastic. This trim runs the distance from the trunk to the rear door, which is where the seatbelts rest when not clipped in. So the seat buckle will lay on a carpeted bolster rather than the old plastic one.

You DO have the option of adding the mobile connector or wall charger as part of your order.
@HotIce You can disagree, but it's true.

1657112546462.png

I hope someone else carries the torch, I'm giving up on updating this as there are too many variables and inconsistencies between cars. Cannot really define what was added when. I did my best!!

Parcel shelves, new interior trim, magnetic lids(?), redesigned 7-seater subtrunk lid (all that happened sometime between my last update and now

Only thing that is certain. Cars made after October 2022 no longer have ultrasonic sensors.

I appreciated your work! It is confusing. At least I discovered that despite all the things I was missing out on, on my Sept 2020 MY, I had passenger lumbar support! (of course, never cared whether I did or not).

I hope someone else carries the torch, I'm giving up on updating this as there are too many variables and inconsistencies between cars. Cannot really define what was added when. I did my best!!
Additionally, the fog light housing get updated (for the European version?)

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape