Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y charge reduced 10% after a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone -

My Y is almost a year old, has less than 10K miles and I have always charged to 90%.

For the first 7-8 months of ownership, my range was always 285 miles after overnight charging. About two months ago, that dropped to 265 and a week or so ago it dropped to 255.

Local Tesla service (Northern Virginia) told me that this range was "within the acceptable range for my fleet" (which I assume to be 3s and Ys with similar batteries). I got on the phone with a service rep and said "that's all you got for me?" and he essentially said "yes". He suggested my driving habits may have changed (they did not) and that cold weather might have something to do with it (it didn't last winter).

My theory is that software upgrades are modifying the way the range is calculated and the number is actually more accurate than the old one that I got. I said this to the service guy and he said his department didn't know if that was the case or not. He did say they ran all the diagnostic software on my car remotely and all the physical components check out.

Has anyone else experienced this over the last 3-4 months? Any thoughts/evidence/insights for what's going on? Thanks much!

Any thoughts/evidence/insights for what's going on?

Thoughts are, that 10% degradation after the first year is well within what we have seen, and it usually slows down quite a bit after that. Additional thoughts are that teslas battery warranty is "will retain up to 70% capacity at 8 years or 125k miles", so until someone hits 30% degradation, contacting the service center is going to be an extremely futile effort as there is nothing they will (or can) do, beside tell you its within spec.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Thoughts are, that 10% degradation after the first year is well within what we have seen, and it usually slows down quite a bit after that. Additional thoughts are that teslas battery warranty is "will retain up to 70% capacity at 8 years or 125k miles", so until someone hits 30% degradation, contacting the service center is going to be an extremely futile effort as there is nothing they will (or can) do, beside tell you its within spec.
Thanks much for this. The service guy told me that my battery was still operating at full capacity but I didn't ask him exactly how that gets measured. It poses a challenge for their service program. A guy like me would like to know if they changed the algorithm but perhaps their lawyers don't. Maybe my next step will be to read the fine print in my warranty to see how they measure these things.

Its going to be measured from teslas own information. You can measure it yourself using the information on the screen, which is the only thing anyone should ever discuss with tesla if they are discussing this topic.

The second anyone says "I monitored with teslafi / stats / teslamate <insert ANY other 3rd party tool>" they will completely shut down, tell you that isnt supported, and either politely or less politely tell you to pound sand.

To calculate degradation yourself, using the information on the tesla screen, you can follow the instructions in a sticky post we have in the model 3 subforum, here:

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and WhiteWi
Hello everyone -

My Y is almost a year old, has less than 10K miles and I have always charged to 90%.

For the first 7-8 months of ownership, my range was always 285 miles after overnight charging. About two months ago, that dropped to 265 and a week or so ago it dropped to 255.

Local Tesla service (Northern Virginia) told me that this range was "within the acceptable range for my fleet" (which I assume to be 3s and Ys with similar batteries). I got on the phone with a service rep and said "that's all you got for me?" and he essentially said "yes". He suggested my driving habits may have changed (they did not) and that cold weather might have something to do with it (it didn't last winter).

My theory is that software upgrades are modifying the way the range is calculated and the number is actually more accurate than the old one that I got. I said this to the service guy and he said his department didn't know if that was the case or not. He did say they ran all the diagnostic software on my car remotely and all the physical components check out.

Has anyone else experienced this over the last 3-4 months? Any thoughts/evidence/insights for what's going on? Thanks much!
How many miles do you drive per day? Why charge it all the way to 90%. That should be reserved for longer road trips.

I usually charge to 60 or 70% when I don’t expect to drive over 50 miles the next day. Everything I have read says that keeping the battery near 50% is best to reduce degradation.

Just Sharing what I have read in the past. Also, (and I could be wrong here) the cold weather will make it report less available range I believe.

Reactions: Stach and WhiteWi
Hello everyone -

exact same story for me too and exact same response from tesla and their "diagnostic report" lol........basically read from the tesla script to always say "normal or within spec". ask to see the diagnostic..........."oh we don't get that information it's in house and tesla doesn't give that out"

Hello everyone -

My theory is that software upgrades are modifying the way the range is calculated and the number is actually more accurate than the old one that I got.

This; according to the release notes for version 2021.40.6 - "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions."

The BMS needs to have several OVC at various SOC events in order to re calibrated.

Hello everyone -

My 2022 MYP is 11 months old, 5100 miles. Always charged to 80%, battery capacity has now decreased 6.7%. Teslafi indicates that my battery range is at the very low end of the fleet. Not sure what has happened. It definitely is not my driving habits; rarely floor it. Tesla Service center has told me the same story: everything checks out okay. Perhaps it will level off at some point. For the first few months, it always charged 242 miles with 80% setting. My 80% SOC charge today showed 226 miles.

Always charged to 80%

Whenever I see anyone say this, I know for a fact that they have "gone down the battery rabbit hole" and read a bunch of stuff about "battery health and maintenance" etc.

"Always charged to 80% is good for your battery, BUT It is NOT good for "the number on the screen" that represents range. If the BMS never sees voltage differences it doesnt estimate as well, and it sees those differences best at 90% charge, not 80%. If you want the number on the screen to read higher, then you need to charge to 90%, and not once, but let it sit at 90% for a few days or more (basically set it to 90% not 80% when you charge).

That will be "slightly" worse for your actual battery, but its also likely the number on the screen will recover somewhat, so it may make you feel better ( even though its slightly worse for the battery).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H