Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y charging keeps stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the last week, my Model Y has 'stopped charging' repeatedly. It charges for 3-9 miles, and then stops again. I've checked the plug into the car to make sure its all the way in. I've reset the circuit breaker for my Gen 3 home charger. Sometimes I can get it going again on the mobile app by pressing 'start charging.' But it doesn't always work. Is anyone else experiencing this frustrating problem?

I'm having the same problem too. I had that problem a couple of months ago and it stopped, but now it's doing it again. I've rebooted and reset the breaker but nothing helps. I'm guessing it's related to a software release. I have a mobile service appointment for next Friday too.

I had a gen 2 charger that did that. It turned out to be a loose connection inside that had melted the terminal block. I had to replace the charger. I know the gen 3 units have been experiencing some flakiness of various types, so obviously it might not be a loose connection in your case.

My Y starting doing after a month of working perfectly with my Gen 3 Wall Connector. Turned I that I had failed to porperly "Commission" my Wall Connector. Seemed to be just getting it properly connect and setup wtih Wifi. They sent me text with a link to instructions. Easy peasy - issue gone. YMMV

Try setting the car to charge at a lower amperage.

The gen3 has had overheating issues, as well as it could be misconfigured or wrongly installed (as some have mentioned). Also make sure it is connected to wifi and has latest firmware.

"charging stopped" is a general issue and not necessarily the same problem in all cases of it.

I just posted a similar thread (did not see this one). I have had my MY only a few days but have experienced the 'stopped charging' issue several times. I am, however, just charging on 110v for now. Should have my home charger installed in next week or two.

Had the same issue with my Gen 3 charger. Called customer support who can remotely see my car, told me it was an issue with the charger not the car. I made sure the charger was connected to the WiFi. They sent an update and to date it seems to have fixed it. So if you have issues call CS and make sure your charger is connected to your WiFi to get the latest firmware. Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: MrWattson
Called customer support who can remotely see my car, told me it was an issue with the charger not the car.
I'm usually the guy irritated at people going around correcting everyone on this when it doesn't matter, but when discussing a diagnosis of which piece of equipment has a problem, that's the time that the terms do become relevant. The charger is the thing in the car. That is the wall connector that needed the update. I know, I know...stone me now.

I'm usually the guy irritated at people going around correcting everyone on this when it doesn't matter, but when discussing a diagnosis of which piece of equipment has a problem, that's the time that the terms do become relevant. The charger is the thing in the car. That is the wall connector that needed the update. I know, I know...stone me now.

Decaf maybe? Sorry, couldn't resist, ;)

• Love
Reactions: RobDeBank
Decaf maybe? Sorry, couldn't resist, ;)
Hey, I'm not the guy who created an entire thread just for the purpose of screaming and ranting about this terminology issue:
It's A Wall Connector!!

And when people are posting questions about whether a hotel will let you use their "charger" or asking if there are good "chargers" available in Seattle or something, I will never bring it up then, while some others make pests of themselves to correct people about it. It just doesn't matter then. But I was just relenting that this is the kind of scenario where it's finally worth saying something about it.

Had the same issue with my Gen 3 charger. Called customer support who can remotely see my car, told me it was an issue with the charger not the car. I made sure the charger was connected to the WiFi. They sent an update and to date it seems to have fixed it. So if you have issues call CS and make sure your charger is connected to your WiFi to get the latest firmware. Hope that helps

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how does one confirm whether their wall connector is connected to wifi for updates? My electrician installed mine. I never thought of it until now. I did try to research and went to the QuickStart brochure and scanned/read the QR code from my mobile phone. It 'appeared' to scan the code but that was that. No confirmation, message, etc. Just returned to the previous screen.

Having the same issue with my MY as of today. Never happened before, but it took me about seven attempts to get the car to charge for more than a few minutes at a time. My wall connector has worked perfectly for over a year, so I'm not sure where the issue lies. Maybe a software update is in order, although I can see that the connector is connected to wifi.

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how does one confirm whether their wall connector is connected to wifi for updates? My electrician installed mine. I never thought of it until now. I did try to research and went to the QuickStart brochure and scanned/read the QR code from my mobile phone. It 'appeared' to scan the code but that was that. No confirmation, message, etc. Just returned to the previous screen.
Page 22 of the Wall Connector Manual explains it - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

Reactions: b622r