Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Charging Options in a Townhouse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, first time poster here. I'm testing driving a Model Y this weekend and will likely end up ordering a Long Range model. My biggest concern is charging - I currently live in a townhouse with no community charging. I do have a dedicated parking spot right in front of my house, and I have a 120V outlet on my front porch that I could theoretically use for a Mobile or Wall Connector. However, there's a sidewalk between my porch and parking spot, so I'm concerned that the charger cords wouldn't be long enough to reach. I know the Wall Connector has a 24ft cord, but I don't plan on living here for more than two more years so I'm hesitant to spend the money to get one installed on the front porch even if it does reach far enough, and I'm concerned that my HOA may not allow it. In an ideal world I'd put one on a pedestal next to my parking spot, but I just don't have that in the budget right now because it would require a concrete pad and quite a bit of electrical work.

If I'm unable to charge at home with a Mobile or Wall Connector, what are my best options? I'm in Raleigh, NC so there are plenty of superchargers nearby, but I don't want to use one too often as I've read about the battery degradation. Is there such a thing as public chargers, whether Tesla or third-party owned, that are not superchargers and will not eventually affect your battery life by using them too frequently? I also don't have charging at work unfortunately. Just trying to figure out my best charging options before I'm sold on the car, the last thing I want to do is order one and then figure out that charging is going to be extremely inconvenient until I move somewhere else. I'm planning on discussing community charging with the HOA as well, but I highly doubt they'd be willing to spend the money to put a charger in themselves.

Thanks in advance!

This is a common scenario for folks - living in a place where charging is not easily available. Level 2 chargers massively outnumber fast chargers. My daughter seeks those out where she frequently drives (shopping, in class, at restaurants, etc.) So, you have to be pragmatic, and you can manage. Occasionally she uses a fast charger.

The key is to look at the places you frequent and if they have chargers (of any speed). If not, then you will have to drive to spots out of the way often to recharge. You can maintain a charge from 110V, but that is massively slow. You have to effectively be charging any time you are parked, which means your portable charger would be semi-permanent on that porch plug.

Reactions: BitJam
I'm in the same situation. My reserved parking spot is close to my townhouse so I got a 50ft (10/3) extension cord, a weatherproof box for the mobile charger, weatherproof cover for the charging port, and an outdoor box to put the cable in when I'm not charging. I'll charge overnight and unplug it during the day so no one really sees the cable.

Reactions: BitJam
This is a common scenario for folks - living in a place where charging is not easily available. Level 2 chargers massively outnumber fast chargers. My daughter seeks those out where she frequently drives (shopping, in class, at restaurants, etc.) So, you have to be pragmatic, and you can manage. Occasionally she uses a fast charger.

The key is to look at the places you frequent and if they have chargers (of any speed). If not, then you will have to drive to spots out of the way often to recharge. You can maintain a charge from 110V, but that is massively slow. You have to effectively be charging any time you are parked, which means your portable charger would be semi-permanent on that porch plug.
Thanks for the response - are all third-party chargers (ChargePoint, Electrify America etc.) considered Level 2 chargers and thus will not affect battery degradation? Basically any EV charger that isn't a Tesla?

I'm in the same situation. My reserved parking spot is close to my townhouse so I got a 50ft (10/3) extension cord, a weatherproof box for the mobile charger, weatherproof cover for the charging port, and an outdoor box to put the cable in when I'm not charging. I'll charge overnight and unplug it during the day so no one really sees the cable.
I originally just thought I could use an extension cord, but after researching it seems like a lot of owners are pretty against using them due to safety concerns, and Tesla doesn't recommend it so I'm just trying to make sure I'm not relying on an unsafe charging method.

Thanks for the response - are all third-party chargers (ChargePoint, Electrify America etc.) considered Level 2 chargers and thus will not affect battery degradation? Basically any EV charger that isn't a Tesla?
Yes, mostly. My daughter uses mostly ChargePoint and all of theirs have been L2 so far. I think she has charge a few times on EVgo fast chargers. The vast majority of destination chargers (chargers in parking garages, shopping malls, etc.) are L2.

Any Level 2 charging station will be fine; you would use the included Tesla J1772 adapter to charge your Tesla Model Y. Additional J1772 adapters cost $50 from the Tesla online store at Tesla.com

Level 2 charging maximum is ~11.5kW charging rate; in my experience most public Level 2 charging stations are 200 - 208 V (commercial building power) and 30 amps. This is approximately 6kW and is a small fraction of charging rate of even the most modest Supercharger (Urban Superchargers charge at up to 72kW rate.)

Download the Plugshare app onto your phone to find your local charging options.

Google Maps can locate "Electric Vehicle Charging", also "Tesla Supercharger" and "Tesla Destination Charger".

Consider purchasing the Tesla CCS Combo Adapter (currently $250 from the Tesla online store.) The CCS Combo adapter would enable you to use the DC Fast Charging networks including Electrify America, evGo, Chargepoint and Blink networks etc. Typical DC Fast Charge speeds would be in the range of low (50kW) up to high (350kW) with the Tesla CCS Type 1 adapter capable of up to 250kW. You would need to first set up an account and/or use a credit card to charge using these DC Fast Charge stations. When you use the Tesla Supercharger Network in the US your Tesla Account is billed directly, no need to swipe a credit card each time you charge.

I originally just thought I could use an extension cord, but after researching it seems like a lot of owners are pretty against using them due to safety concerns, and Tesla doesn't recommend it so I'm just trying to make sure I'm not relying on an unsafe charging method.
There are big safety and liability issues with leaving an extension cord across a sidewalk. But if you do it, at minimum you need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGHSHSK/

Download the Plugshare app onto your phone to find your local charging options.
This. If you filter for "J-1772" and "Tesla Destination" chargers in Plugshare, you'll get a good sense for how many L2 chargers are in your area, where they're located, and whether they might work out for you.

As an example, in my neighborhood there is a free L2 charger at the local Target, and Volta chargers (L2 are free for...2 hours I think?) at the local mall. And a few Tesla destination chargers at some hotels - probably intended for customers only, but if you were in a pinch I'm sure you could use them.

There are big safety and liability issues with leaving an extension cord across a sidewalk. But if you do it, at minimum you need one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WGHSHSK/

Definitely agree with you there. Luckily the sidewalk in front of my house is rarely if ever used by anyone - everyone's parking is right in front of their house and the sidewalks only run in front of the townhouse rows, they don't really go anywhere, and there's a private road that runs around the neighborhood in front of all the parking spots that people usually use to walk instead. So most likely I'd be the only one at risk of tripping, and I'd probably only keep the cord out when it's being used at night, but I'd still invest in something like this to be safe.

Definitely agree with you there. Luckily the sidewalk in front of my house is rarely if ever used by anyone - everyone's parking is right in front of their house and the sidewalks only run in front of the townhouse rows, they don't really go anywhere, and there's a private road that runs around the neighborhood in front of all the parking spots that people usually use to walk instead. So most likely I'd be the only one at risk of tripping, and I'd probably only keep the cord out when it's being used at night, but I'd still invest in something like this to be safe.

It doesnt matter how unlikely it is for someone to trip on it, or that its just you though. All it will take is one single person to see it and complain, or someone on the HOA to see it. You cant drape cords over public space unattended. You can wash your car, or vacuum your car, because you are present.

Overnight charging + cord draped on shared property = no

Reactions: KJD
It doesnt matter how unlikely it is for someone to trip on it, or that its just you though. All it will take is one single person to see it and complain, or someone on the HOA to see it. You cant drape cords over public space unattended. You can wash your car, or vacuum your car, because you are present.

Overnight charging + cord draped on shared property = no
Do you hold the same sentiment if I use a cord cover like the one linked above, though? I'm not arguing with you, just curious really - this is the first time I've really considered my charging options and I'm glad I am now before I've placed an order. I agree with you that I'd be pretty much screwed if someone complained and I'd want explicit permission from the HOA first at minimum.

It seems that living in shared building, even with a 120V outlet on the front porch, makes charging much more complicated than I had hoped. I was pretty much sold on ordering a MY, but it may make sense to hold off on an EV until I live in a single-family home. I think not being able to charge at home would be too inconvenient for my lifestyle and I'd be at risk of running too low too often, so I'm just trying to weigh all my options.

Do you hold the same sentiment if I use a cord cover like the one linked above, though?

Yes. Covering the cord on a sidewalk is not a permanent solution for charging. If you were charging while sitting in the vehicle, you could perhaps argue its like washing your car, but you wont be sitting in it the entire time you are charging.

This is a common roadblock to EV adoption. Or people get scared and think there's no way for them to charge. If you know you're not going to be there anymore than 2 years, then while that is a little while, I would say it's still a temporary situation. If you have shops close you could possibly charge if they have level two charging available.

Another reason folks might get an EV is if they have charging options at the office or at work. Depending on how much you drive, you may be able to just charge off of 120 volt electricity. That wouldn't require anything other than an outlet on the outside of your home, although you would probably need to get permission from the HOA to run the cord across the sidewalk. You could supplement that with supercharging as needed.

I've seen scenarios where people do a lot of fast charging and I don't believe it affects battery degradation all that much. The BMS in the Tesla is very good at protecting the longevity of the battery. It will definitely affect it some, but I don't know that it's as much as some folks may think it is.

In a perfect world you would have a pedestal installed at your parking spot that would not obstruct the walkway at all. But as you pointed out that may not be practical or possible in the situation.

This is a common roadblock to EV adoption. Or people get scared and think there's no way for them to charge. If you know you're not going to be there anymore than 2 years, then while that is a little while, I would say it's still a temporary situation. If you have shops close you could possibly charge if they have level two charging available.

Another reason folks might get an EV is if they have charging options at the office or at work. Depending on how much you drive, you may be able to just charge off of 120 volt electricity. That wouldn't require anything other than an outlet on the outside of your home, although you would probably need to get permission from the HOA to run the cord across the sidewalk. You could supplement that with supercharging as needed.

I've seen scenarios where people do a lot of fast charging and I don't believe it affects battery degradation all that much. The BMS in the Tesla is very good at protecting the longevity of the battery. It will definitely affect it some, but I don't know that it's as much as some folks may think it is.

In a perfect world you would have a pedestal installed at your parking spot that would not obstruct the walkway at all. But as you pointed out that may not be practical or possible in the situation.
Thanks for the response, this is helpful. I think if I could use 120V charging at home, I could get by. Would just need to use a Supercharger or Level 2 charger before longer trips/anything out of my routine. My commute is only about 14 miles round trip and I can WFH when I need to. I don't have charging at work unfortunately - we will at some point I'm sure, but I can't depend on that right now.

My biggest concern though would be having to use an extension cord. I just measured, and I'd need at least 30 feet of cord from my outdoor outlet to the parking spot, and probably more if I want to cord to lay flat. I know Tesla doesn't recommend using extension cords and it seems like some owners are fine with it, if it's the right cord, and some say to never use one, so I just don't know. I don't know if it's worth the risk, having to make sure the extension cord is never coiled up, putting it under a cord cover on the sidewalk, etc. Maybe a RAV4 Hybrid, which was my other option, makes more sense until I move.

Do you hold the same sentiment if I use a cord cover like the one linked above, though?
A family member just went through this same thing with their townhouse, and discussed it with the HOA. They can't have a charger line going across the sidewalk, even with a cord-cover (aside from the scenario @jcanoe brought up, regarding being there with the car at the time). They are allowed to run power to the parking spot (needs to be buried line, and needs to be run under the sidewalk), and then they can install an outdoor outlet within their parking space.

Best to check with your HOA regarding your options.

Reactions: BitJam and KJD
A family member just went through this same thing with their townhouse, and discussed it with the HOA. They can't have a charger line going across the sidewalk, even with a cord-cover (aside from the scenario @jcanoe brought up, regarding being there with the car at the time). They are allowed to run power to the parking spot (needs to be buried line, and needs to be run under the sidewalk), and then they can install an outdoor outlet within their parking space.

Best to check with your HOA regarding your options.
This is what I was trying to tell this OP.

That wouldn't require anything other than an outlet on the outside of your home, although you would probably need to get permission from the HOA to run the cord across the sidewalk.

No HOA is going to give permission for running a cord across the sidewalk for long term charging. A person would need to remain with the vehicle the entire time that was connected.

They can also go through the expense of getting an outlet installed properly (buried cable, etc) and the HOA cant easily deny that, but thats way more money than most people think its going to be, and only worth it if they are going to live in that location permanently.

My biggest concern though would be having to use an extension cord. I just measured, and I'd need at least 30 feet of cord from my outdoor outlet to the parking spot, and probably more if I want to cord to lay flat.

You are not going to be allowed to drape that cord across the public space for charging unless you remain with the vehicle the entire time you are charging it. If you want charging at your location, you either need to convince the HOA to install it for everyone, or look into how much it will be to have an outlet at your parking space, properly installed / permitted.

Alternatively, you need to plan for using public charging.

The plan on draping a cable to your parking space across sidewalk accessible to neighbors for long term / overnight charging is a non starter, so if you want home charging, and are not willing to look into how much it would be to do it in a way that will be able to be accepted across shared space (buried cable), you should not buy this or any other full electric vehicle.

I mean... you can hope no one sees it in the middle of the night, but it only takes one person (perhaps someone that doesnt like EVs in general?) to see it and complain, and you would be told to remove it. Same with @JY1129 . How long it takes for someone to notice and complain varies, but its not something that is allowed (draping cable across shared space sidewalk.)

Reactions: Y_tho
Any L2 charger regardless of brand will minimize battery impact. Any L3 (aka DC fast charger), including superchargers, may have some effect over time if they are the only way you charge the car, so it's less about brand and more about L2 vs DC fast charge (EA, for example, and mostly DC fast chargers).

Also, you should be aware that many 3rd party L2 chargers are pretty expensive, the cheapest way to charge, unfortunately, is the one you can't do .. charging via an L2 charger at home.

Yeah running it across the sidewalk could be a problem. I probably should not have stated it the way I did. It's still worth checking out the options though. I would have a conversation with the HOA about it.

It's a temporary situation and if your not putting on a huge number of miles you could get by supercharging as needed. Supercharging is more expensive though. On average the cost per kWh for me has been about 3x my home charging cost when I take road trips.

I know Volta and some businesses have free level 2 charging. For example to use while shopping. I don't think that would be enough to maintain though and the charging is usually slower (around 6kw) which means hours to recover a decent amount of range. Volta has some higher powered stations and a few DC fast charge stations. That last idea would be to supercharge and supplement as much as possible with freely available charging options (if available in your area).

If there is not a reasonable solution for home charging and you don't want to supercharge to maintain then it might be good to hold off.

Thanks for the response, this is helpful. I think if I could use 120V charging at home, I could get by. Would just need to use a Supercharger or Level 2 charger before longer trips/anything out of my routine. My commute is only about 14 miles round trip and I can WFH when I need to. I don't have charging at work unfortunately - we will at some point I'm sure, but I can't depend on that right now.

My biggest concern though would be having to use an extension cord. I just measured, and I'd need at least 30 feet of cord from my outdoor outlet to the parking spot, and probably more if I want to cord to lay flat. I know Tesla doesn't recommend using extension cords and it seems like some owners are fine with it, if it's the right cord, and some say to never use one, so I just don't know. I don't know if it's worth the risk, having to make sure the extension cord is never coiled up, putting it under a cord cover on the sidewalk, etc. Maybe a RAV4 Hybrid, which was my other option, makes more sense until I move.

120-volt charging is very slow, but maybe you only need a few miles at a time. If an extension cord was allowed, your local fire department would insist on one of those cord covers. But it's not allowed, and I hate to say this but... if you don't have a more realistic charging solution available at home or at work, then it's probably too soon for you to get an EV. Lease that RAV4 Hybrid until you move. The RAV is a great car.