Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Charging Question - Info needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just got my MYP this week.

I also have a M3P.

In my garage I have the Mobile charger connected to a 30amp outlet and breaker. Amp is set to 24amp output.

I can not get more than 15miles per hour on the Model Y during charging. My model 3 is outputting 22miles per hour just like the chart says. No problems at all.

But the Model Y is stopping at 15. Will not go above 15 miles per hour.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.

What you have to know is that "miles per hour" is not a great measure of charging. The real measure is volts and amps, which gives kW. It's possible that both cars get the same electricity but one has a higher consumption than the other (use more energy per mile) so it display a lower mile charge speed.

What are you seeing in the MYP when charging? 24/24A at around 240V? Is it the same as you see in the M3P?

What you have to know is that "miles per hour" is not a great measure of charging. The real measure is volts and amps, which gives kW. It's possible that both cars get the same electricity but one has a higher consumption than the other (use more energy per mile) so it display a lower mile charge speed.

What are you seeing in the MYP when charging? 24/24A at around 240V? Is it the same as you see in the M3P?
Never mind. LOL LOL

Stupid stupid mistake by my part. I had the AC running while charging. The minute i turned off the AC it jumped right up to 22 miles per hour charging.

Thank you though for your help.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GtiMart
Congratulations on two nice performance Tesla vehicles 😎.

I would suggest a better charging setup especially since you have two vehicles. For a permanent home charger installation the best setup is a hard wired (no outlet or plug) Tesla Wall Connector. This setup will be safer and more reliable. It will also charge your vehicle at double the speed which your charging at now when properly installed on a 60amp circuit.

You also have the option of installing two of them and having them share the 60amp circuit for the most efficient charging setup possible.

I keep the mobile connector in my frunk in case I need it while traveling.