Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Climate Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have a lot of data points on this, but I wanted to get some thoughts on how to do this better.

Case 1:
I went inside to pick up some food, my wife stayed in the car with climate control on. It worked fine. When I returned to the car, there was no longer any air coming out of the back vents. We had to stop and get out of the car and then back in before it worked again. Later I noticed there is a manual climate control button for the back vents.

Case 2:
I went inside to pick up some food, my wife stayed in the car with climate control on. It worked fine. When I returned to the car, there was no longer any air coming out of the back vents. Same as before. This time, I turned on manual climate control and pressed the button that no longer was lit to cool the backseats. This did bring air to the back, but it was not very cool. Then I noticed the air recycling was now off so I turned it back on. Thankfully we weren't far from the house, but over the course of the 10 minutes to get back, even with air recycling it did not get any cooler. It was probably mid to high eighties in the car. Outside temperature was 82.

So a few things...
  • It seems like the driver returning to the vehicle makes it decide there is no longer anyone in the backseat.
  • Maybe it was just the air recycling mistake, but it got hot very fast and wouldn't cool down.
  • Plenty of times the car has been left in the sun and returning to the car with auto climate control it cools very quickly.

I was hoping people would read it and have some thoughts, say it works the same or different in their case, maybe even have some suggestions. Regarding actual questions though...

Are others seeing the same behavior or should I open a service appointment?
Do others have success with manual climate control cooling the car while it is driving?
Is there another way I should be handling this?

If there is no one in the rear seats, the vents won't come on unless you turn them on manually. They reset to 'off' when you exit the car. See pg 127 in Owners Manual.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to only have outside air come into the cabin, unheated or uncooled. This is tough to do on most cars with automatic climate control. In my previous car, I would spin the temp dial down to 'low' and turn off the AC. I guess I can try this with the MY, since there isn't anything in the OM about it that I could see.

My wife and child (in car seat) stayed in the car (both in the backseat). So we were driving, air is coming from front and back. We parked and climate control was turned on before I stepped out (they stayed in). The air stayed on while I was inside. As soon as I got to the car and opened the door, the air in the back turned off and the air in the front stayed on. So its like entering the car reset the system to no longer account for them in the backseat.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to only have outside air come into the cabin, unheated or uncooled.
To turn on just the HVAC fan deselect the blue Auto button, deselect the blue A/C button. Adjust the fan speed using the (-) and (+) buttons as desired. For outside air deselect the button with the loop graphic to the right of the (+) fan speed button. (You can also control many of the HVAC functions using the voice commands. I.e. "Cabin Air Recirculate On", "Cabin Air Recirculate Off".)

Reactions: 73Bruin
My wife and child (in car seat) stayed in the car (both in the backseat). So we were driving, air is coming from front and back. We parked and climate control was turned on before I stepped out (they stayed in). The air stayed on while I was inside. As soon as I got to the car and opened the door, the air in the back turned off and the air in the front stayed on. So its like entering the car reset the system to no longer account for them in the backseat.
You could turn on Camp Mode before exiting the Model Y, see if the rear vents remain active. (When Camp Mode is set the Tesla vehicle will not lock the doors when you exit the Tesla with your phone.)

You could turn on Camp Mode before exiting the Model Y, see if the rear vents remain active. (When Camp Mode is set the Tesla vehicle will not lock the doors when you exit the Tesla with your phone.)

Well, in the "on" mode (next to "camp" mode") the rear vents do stay on while I am away. However, it was when I came back that it decided to turn off.

Well, in the "on" mode (next to "camp" mode") the rear vents do stay on while I am away. However, it was when I came back that it decided to turn off.
Camp mode may leave the rear vents active. Camp mode is commonly used while sleeping in the back of the Tesla Model Y, Model 3 so it would make sense that the rear vents would remain active when Camp mode is turned on.

Do you have Easy Entry and Driver preferences set? One thing I have noticed is that it saves climate setting to the profiles. So let's say I set the car to 70 when I was last driving down the road. The next morning I set it to 65 in the app and turn on climate. That setting seems to go to the Easy Entry profile, so that when I get in the car and it recognizes my profile, the setting goes back to 70. But remember the profile doesn't activate the moment you get in. It activates after you press the brake pedal.

So maybe your easy entry setting has rear climate off or whatever saved, and your not getting reset exactly, just getting that profiles settings until you swap back to your profile. Also, you should try using the auto mode and see if you get same behavior. Auto is probably the most commonly used setting and this may just be a software glitch happening in manual mode.

Reactions: Big Earl
Thats a good callout on the Easy Entry settings, but that is turned off. I generally use Auto. I only turned it to Manual because it wasn't working. But, new development... the A/C is no longer working at all about 1/2 the time. On Auto, the blue light for A/C turns off, the recycle turns off, the rear cooling turns off, and the car heats up really fast (1-2 degrees per minute). So I think this is just a service issue that was maybe just more noticeable those first couple of times it was parked for a few minutes. I already have an appointment scheduled and gave them a bunch of timestamps.

I will post back once it is fixed with the resolution just so there is closure to this thread and so if it is another supermanifold issue (or whatever) there is some tracking.

Thanks!