Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They obviously made a big deal about this, naming it comfort suspension. In contrast to the other incremental changes. But I wonder as well. I am waiting to hear from those who have pre and post cars built this year, like my brother and sister-in-law. I have read both that it makes no difference and that it makes a difference under 30 mph.

🤷‍♂️
Yea, I imagine comparing it to early Ys is probably going to be more noticeable/significant that say ones built earlier this year. Open to being wrong tho. Changing to a better tire, in the same size, can have noticeable differences in comfort. Really curious for a comparison.

Reactions: DrGriz
Drove back to back my 2023 MYLR with the "new" comfort suspension and 2022 MYLR produced May 2022 with the "old" suspension. The two car felt essentially the same. There is no difference at least that I could tell. However both had booming low frequency thumping noise when traveling or rough road at 30-40 mph.
Wow, the anecdotes are all over the place on ride quality.

Wow, the anecdotes are all over the place on ride quality.
We should all list our comparison points. Coming from a Mercedes-Benz S Class? Model Y will ride like a donkey cart, with any revision of the Tesla dampers. Coming from a Nissan 350Z? The new "comfort" suspension might ride pretty well to you!

Coming from a '97 Civic slammed on the cheapest coilovers you could find? Model Y will feel smooooth.... 😝

When we test drove a 2021 Model Y, our (only) car was our 2013 Model S with air suspension option. The 2021 MYLR was sportier but rode much worse. I'm into sporty cars and fast driving, used to modify my cars a bit and do track days long ago, etc - but I didn't like the ride/handling tradeoff in the 2021 MYLR. Oddly to me, my wife didn't seem to mind it, though she recognized other cars we tested rode smoother.

The 2021 Model 3 had a very similar slightly busy feel to its ride, but toned way down compared to the Y. In the 3 it was like a hint of busy, whereas in the Y the busy ride was in my face.

Last edited:
Nov. 20 Freemont build, and I have no idea if it has comfort suspension. The reports are all over the place and the story in the OP turned out to be incorrect, as builds a week or weeks after the date Musk tweeted still had original suspension, yet more may have been the newer suspension. I'm hoping for it, since my test ride on the 20" was not good. I ordered the Y with the 19" Geminis for that very reason. Hoping and crossing my fingers that it got better. Also hoping for the parcel shelf. We'll see next week when I pick it up.

Last edited:
I have the exact same reaction after receiving my new model YLR. I have a service appointment next week to check it out. I'm praying they find some kind of anomaly to fix. I feel like a bubblehead driving on any type of road other than the highway. Not acceptable.
After my visit to the service center they could not tell me if my PF582 MYLR had the comfort suspension.

They never even heard of the "comfort suspension". They only said to me "there is a comfort setting, but it's for the steering wheel"... They couldn't tell me anything, not even my build date.

After a test drive with me, they also told me the cabin noise was within specs and the suspension bounciness was within specs. The guy seemed trained to say nothing and hear nothing.

So I'm just turning the page on this and will endure the car as is. Maybe I'll try some of the tricks to reduce cabin noise next summer. Moving on. Lol.

After my visit to the service center they could not tell me if my PF582 MYLR had the comfort suspension.

They never even heard of the "comfort suspension". They only said to me "there is a comfort setting, but it's for the steering wheel"... They couldn't tell me anything, not even my build date.
oof!

I mistakingly called a different Tesla location a few days ago when I got my VIN to get info about the build. The SA on the phone told me the build date in about 6 seconds as he had it in front of him already when I called. I didn't even need to read it off to him.

They're always in the loop, aren't they? A couple weeks ago, the SA's didn't know about "new" cameras or the comfort suspension either. I had stopped in to ask when I would get my code for the mobile charging bundle. I still don't have the code, and the car is three days away, maybe. To their credit at the location near me, they were aware of the new door panels and the package shelf, as those are more plainly visible changes. Thank goodness for TMC.

Last edited:
Reading this thread fill me with thanksgiving!

The Tesla footprint is relatively small in Japan, and though many EVs are promised, few are actually available. It's hard to sell an electric vehicle when few folks have their own home AND a garage. I'm blessed in that area. Charging out of town requires serious planning, and many places just plain out of range. Getting better, but slow. That's why my M3SR+ just doesn't get us where we want to go ... and why we ordered a MYP (no Long Range sold here).

Getting back to the first sentence of this post, my sales and service experience has been great! SC is just 10 minutes down the road, and they know their stuff. Tesla's Kawasaki showroom has knowledgeable and helpful staff, and if they don't know something, they get back to me asap with the answer. The only things they DON'T know, are things that nobody knows. Like when my car will come, and what the specs will be in February/March 2023 ... or whenever/whatever. C'mon Shanghai Giga, Comfort Suspension, and a Power Frunk!!

cj

Reactions: DrGriz
Got my MYLR yesterday. The suspension was good on the city street roads and I did not even think about it until I got to the dirt roads (with washboards) leading to my house. It was not as good as my 2014 Acura RDX but pretty close. The older Model Y's may have been a problem but the current version is fine for your average dirt road.
Slight amendment to my original comment now that I've had a couple days with the car: The suspension is fine, but if you have long stretches on washboard roads the car creates a booming sound inside the car thats not comfortable. I have a short couple miles on slight to moderate washboards and have no regrets about getting this car. If you have a longer drive on moderate to large washboards I would do more research on this before committing to a MY. I hope that helps.

Reactions: Jovo and EVDeepDive
Slight amendment to my original comment now that I've had a couple days with the car: The suspension is fine, but if you have long stretches on washboard roads the car creates a booming sound inside the car thats not comfortable. I have a short couple miles on slight to moderate washboards and have no regrets about getting this car. If you have a longer drive on moderate to large washboards I would do more research on this before committing to a MY. I hope that helps.
Do you have the parcel shelf?
My old Model S definitely had more boominess if the parcel shelf wasn’t in place.

My old Model S definitely had more boominess if the parcel shelf wasn’t in place.

I had that on for a couple days and then took it off and unfortunately, I did not notice a difference. It was not a huge deal for me and now I've gotten used to it and barely notice. I'll take the effortless acceleration and all the other goodies that come with a Tesla over a legacy vehicle despite a little bit of boominess any day of the week.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
You guys with the comfort suspension MYLR: Do your Model Ys come with the Matrix headlights still? Mine is due by the end of December at the latest, and I'm wondering if the MYLR still comes with the Matrix headlights.

You guys with the comfort suspension MYLR: Do your Model Ys come with the Matrix headlights still? Mine is due by the end of December at the latest, and I'm wondering if the MYLR still comes with the Matrix headlights.
It is still random chance if you get Matrix or not. Seems to be only Fremont cars. Seems to be just on days they run out of normal lights and grab some matrix from the MYP parts box.

But there are still recent reports of Matrix and also recent reports of no Matrix (one guy picked up his F612XXX without Matrix today).

Reactions: Investor9872
So are the matrix lights good? Tesla seems to avoid using them if the regular lights are available. I think it's ironic that the more advanced matrix lights are the "plan B" option.
They are good but none of the potential matrix features are active (even in Europe where matrix features have been legal for years).

The matrix are standard on MYP and on M3 and M3P. Not sure why Tesla continues to use the old style on MYLR?

Reactions: tm1v2