Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort suspension?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a June ‘22 build MYLR, have around 6k miles. The suspension seems perfectly fine to me. I just finished an 800 mile road trip and it was perfectly comfortable.
agreed...same purchase profile and have taken 4 800 mile trips as well with no issues (well I95 in South Carolina in some parts can be jarring for any vehicle). If there is an issue, it's always driving in local roads that may not be in the best condition.

Reactions: GoodKarma
I think a lot of the issue is the low profile tires. I've had my MYP for almost 2 weeks and while the ride is fine most of the time, driving over rough roads or hitting potholes is brutal. I hit one last night going about 15mph and it jarred the hell out of me. A few minutes later I got the TPMS Fault come on telling me to make a service appointment. Tire pressure is fine but I do now have a nice gouge in the wheel. Hoping the Fault Light goes out by itself or I guess I'm going to be making my first trip to Tesla Service. (2022 MYP with 1,500 miles)

I think a lot of the issue is the low profile tires. I've had my MYP for almost 2 weeks and while the ride is fine most of the time, driving over rough roads or hitting potholes is brutal. I hit one last night going about 15mph and it jarred the hell out of me. A few minutes later I got the TPMS Fault come on telling me to make a service appointment. Tire pressure is fine but I do now have a nice gouge in the wheel. Hoping the Fault Light goes out by itself or I guess I'm going to be making my first trip to Tesla Service. (2022 MYP with 1,500 miles)
You’re correct, the larger tires (20”/21”) have smaller sidewalls and will make for a harsher ride than the 19” Gemini. They look better, but ride harsher.
But also putting into perspective the Y is a lower model on the totem pole for Tesla, so you can’t expect a fine tuned suspension.

When I test driven a 2022 MYP. going over speed bumps and little potholes, it felt quite roughs as I put it through its paces in an empty parking lot including WOT. Getting my 2023 MYP, the ride feels better and smoother in same area with 800 miles on it so far. I do have Alloygator to protect my wheels, and so far I have not hit anything; may of hit a few pot holes, but I try to serve around them or slow down enough to go in them enough such that the wheel can go into one safety without the car slamming into it.

You’re correct, the larger tires (20”/21”) have smaller sidewalls and will make for a harsher ride than the 19” Gemini. They look better, but ride harsher.
But also putting into perspective the Y is a lower model on the totem pole for Tesla, so you can’t expect a fine tuned suspension.

I would of thought the MY would be higher (looks alone) on the totem pole.

Yes, the 21" does feel a little harsh but the comfort suspension does help mitigate some of that. I would prefer to switch to 20" so it will have a little more more softer ride, increase my milage and more sidewall.

Reactions: tm1v2
Yes, the 21" does feel a little harsh but the comfort suspension does help mitigate some of that. I would prefer to switch to 20" so it will have a little more more softer ride, increase my milage and more sidewall.

This is what I plan to do as well (20 inch wheels/tires). However, I'm going to hold off for a bit any put some miles on the MYP to make sure I plan on keeping it for a few years.

I'm sure you mean in terms of spec and features (air suspension, etc.) when you say "lower model on the totem pole"... But, for the last few quarters the Model Y has far outsold the 3, S and X. And the gap is expected to widen even more in the coming years. The Model Y is a bread-winner / money-spinner, which ought to compel Tesla to listen to customer feedback.

Attachments

• Charts_Showing_Tesla_s_Fast_Continued_Sales_Growth_-_CleanTechnica.jpg
    Charts_Showing_Tesla_s_Fast_Continued_Sales_Growth_-_CleanTechnica.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,276
2022 demo model y performance purchased 4 weeks ago. Running 20 inch inductions and it is a little better than the 21s. I don't think I have new comfort suspension. Do love the acceleration! Is it only 2023's that have the comfort suspension?

Some of the 2022 models did get the change over prior to the 2023 change over. Best to ask your SA on your specific vehicle if it has the comfort suspension.

Reactions: madmax240
2022 demo model y performance purchased 4 weeks ago. Running 20 inch inductions and it is a little better than the 21s. I don't think I have new comfort suspension. Do love the acceleration! Is it only 2023's that have the comfort suspension?
Change over happened early October. My October 14th build supposedly has the comfort suspension (2022 MYLR). My car was the last week of 2022 builds as there were 2023 sitting next to mine at delivery on October 28th. So it has to be a very late 2022 to have the comfort suspension.

• Informative
Reactions: madmax240
Check the other thread. Dampers are on rev F for LR and E for MYP and it was confirmed rev E since someone snapped pics of the damper codes on their new MYP.

This is a photo from 2023 showroom model YP. Rear suspension.View attachment 875546

Rear: 1188465-00-F
Right Front: 1188376-00-F
Left Front: 1188371-00-F

These are the part numbers I pulled off my ‘23 MYP built in Oct ‘22. Now I don’t know if they are actually the “comfort suspension” (as I was told by someone from Tesla over the phone), or if it’s a revision of a previous suspension that they are referring to as “comfort” (currently revision F). I’m so confused. 😕 However, what I’m not confused about is the ride quality, which I find perfectly acceptable to me, and I really have no complaints about it.

Additionally, what I found on the Tesla parts catalog page is that the description for those part numbers include “Dual Motor”, which doesn’t appear in the previous revisions as far as I can tell. Not sure if that’s an indicator or not. Parts Catalog

Rear: 1188465-00-F
Right Front: 1188376-00-F
Left Front: 1188371-00-F

These are the part numbers I pulled off my ‘23 MYP built in Oct ‘22. Now I don’t know if they are actually the “comfort suspension” (as I was told by someone from Tesla over the phone), or if it’s a revision of a previous suspension that they are referring to as “comfort” (currently revision F). I’m so confused. 😕 However, what I’m not confused about is the ride quality, which I find perfectly acceptable to me, and I really have no complaints about it.

Additionally, what I found on the Tesla parts catalog page is that the description for those part numbers include “Dual Motor”, which doesn’t appear in the previous revisions as far as I can tell. Not sure if that’s an indicator or not. Parts Catalog
Nice. The last time I checked part number was last month and E was the lastest for MYP. You've got F now so that seems pretty current to me. Thhough there is some speculation the MYP is now running the same dampers as LR ie. DUAL MOTOR.

Reactions: Killer Junior
Nice. The last time I checked part number was last month and E was the lastest for MYP. You've got F now so that seems pretty current to me. Thhough there is some speculation the MYP is now running the same dampers as LR ie. DUAL MOTOR.
At the end of the day the suspension isn’t a total ass grenade, so there’s a piece of mind. However, it would be nice to have a definitive answer to the current question regarding what part numbers/nomenclatures constitutes the ‘comfort suspension’ moniker.

At the end of the day the suspension isn’t a total ass grenade, so there’s a piece of mind. However, it would be nice to have a definitive answer to the current question regarding what part numbers/nomenclatures constitutes the ‘comfort suspension’ moniker.
Hmm, it's pretty easy to tell. The og dampers were very stiff thru the use of high degree of low speed bump. That meant only the biggest of bumps/dips would create a big enough load for the dampers to compress. This translated to very bad behavior over rough roads. PPL often mistook that for bad damping, rebound effects but it's actually the dampers not reacting to high/lows in the road because of the high low speed compression setting. The car will follow the undulations instead of compress and absorb them. It makes the car bob along, go up crash down, the dampers finally compress cuz there's enough force, rinse repeat. However the flip side to this is on a smooth road surface the og dampers were pretty great. The high amount of low speed bump meant it turned flat, low amount of body roll.

Thus if yours behaved liek the og dampers you wouldn't be pleased with them in average road conditions.

Hmm, it's pretty easy to tell. The og dampers were very stiff thru the use of high degree of low speed bump. That meant only the biggest of bumps/dips would create a big enough load for the dampers to compress. This translated to very bad behavior over rough roads. PPL often mistook that for bad damping, rebound effects but it's actually the dampers not reacting to high/lows in the road because of the high low speed compression setting. The car will follow the undulations instead of compress and absorb them. It makes the car bob along, go up crash down, the dampers finally compress cuz there's enough force, rinse repeat. However the flip side to this is on a smooth road surface the og dampers were pretty great. The high amount of low speed bump meant it turned flat, low amount of body roll.

Thus if yours behaved liek the og dampers you wouldn't be pleased with them in average road conditions.
Tracking all. Just seems we’re all consumed with the naming convention (putting it all in a nicely organized and labeled box) rather than focusing on what the suspension is or isn’t doing, but I think the answer resides in Telsa’s presumable embrace of kaizen and what we experience as the end user. Regardless, if the system is working optimally, does it really matter what we call it? My guess is that it doesn’t as long as the acceptance criteria are met and the end result is customer satisfaction.

Last edited:

Does this mean that the new comfort suspension is worse (more body roll, bouncy) on smoother roads?