Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comfort vs...Honda CR-V

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as Y ride stiffness, keep in mind that tire choice contributes, according to many. 19" tires with have the softer ride, and 21" will have a harsher ride. So if you compare the Model 3 and Model Y ride harshness, make sure you are comparing apples to apples. (This may explain why some think the Y rides the same as the 3, while others insist the Y is rougher)

I have both the Y and a 2018 CRV. As far a comfort and driveability - in terms of driving smooth - the CRV wins hands down. Smoother acceleration, more comfy seats, smoother riding - gets 34 mpg too. The family will be far more comfy in the CRV vs the Y on long teips

The the Y is a great in city commuter and it encourages you to drive like an axxhole sometimes because it accelerates so fast. It feels high strung to me - tight suspension, tight seats, stiff steering wheel. Feels like I’m supposed to race or something. Love the Y, glad I have it.

although at two months old, we got side swiped on the right and got body checked into concrete island 6 inches high. Rear suspension destroyed - who knows when we’ll get it back. Comes back to safety - the CRV feels a bit tipsy compared to the Y so the Y must be a much safer vehicle.

Reactions: Daekwan
The Y absolutely rides harsher than the 3 (if you can believe that).
Tesla has also removed the regen strength setting in new production MY’s. So anyone who would get motion sick on account of regenerative brakeing is surely going to feel it more.

On the plus side, the rear passenger room in the Y is a substantial upgrade from the 3. And the seats partially recline.
What wheels are you basing this opinion on?

Ok, I realize this is kinda crazy comparing the two, but bear with me...
We currently own a 2019 Model 3 with 18" wheels. We live in SoCal. My family, especially those sitting in the rear seats, is finding the ride to be somewhat uncomfortable. I genuinely don't know exactly what the issue is, but anyone sitting in the back will typically get nauseous / motion sickness quite easily. I didn't believe my wife at first until I switched places with her. This has made longer drives (1+ hours) with the M3 unbearable. I know the first thing that comes to mind is driving style, but we are not aggressive drivers and we both have it on "Chill" mode. We weren't driving luxury cars prior to the M3 - I was driving a Hyundai Sonata and my wife drove a Mazda CX-5. However, I'm slowly coming to the realization that the M3 is not a good "family" car for us, due to a combination of comfort, rear legroom and trunk space. Frustrated, I figured I'll just get us a good ole Honda CR-V. So comfortable it screams "road trip" when you hop inside. However, before I retire back to an ICE, I was considering giving the Model Y a chance. Maybe all we really need is an SUV, not a sedan? However, upon some light reading, it seems that the Y rides just as stiff, if not stiffer than the 3, which is concerning.
So my question is, has anyone here had a chance to compare these 2 completely different vehicles? Any other thoughts / comments would be appreciated, but please be nice :)
Have you considered renting one on Turo (https://turo.com/)? That might be a great way to get some drive time with the vehicle before you put in the order...

Thanks for the insight! Interesting thing is, we haven't had motion sickness before in our older vehicles. We drove the Sonata to Vegas (4+ hours) and everyone was fine, my son even fell asleep. So I don't know if we're just aging or what.
Perhaps reflections off the glass roof is generating some disorientation for the riders in the back seat? Try putting up a shade and see if that helps.

Reactions: mrwug
I have both the Y and a 2018 CRV. As far a comfort and driveability - in terms of driving smooth - the CRV wins hands down. Smoother acceleration, more comfy seats, smoother riding - gets 34 mpg too. The family will be far more comfy in the CRV vs the Y on long teips

The the Y is a great in city commuter and it encourages you to drive like an axxhole sometimes because it accelerates so fast. It feels high strung to me - tight suspension, tight seats, stiff steering wheel. Feels like I’m supposed to race or something. Love the Y, glad I have it.

although at two months old, we got side swiped on the right and got body checked into concrete island 6 inches high. Rear suspension destroyed - who knows when we’ll get it back. Comes back to safety - the CRV feels a bit tipsy compared to the Y so the Y must be a much safer vehicle.

We actually traded our 2018 Honda CRV in because it was terrible. My wife, not a car person at all, pushed it and it has been worth every single drive since then. It also helped we got the same amount we paid for the CRV in 2018 in 2021.

Reactions: hcdavis3
In my past experience, motion sickness did not get a relief from more comfortable (softer) suspensions. Actually, when I was a kid and every bus in my city was bumpy and rattling, people told me they did not get motion sick on the buses but would be sick on small passenger cars (which would obviously have more comfortable ride). I could sit on a bus facing backwards on winding mountain roads for a whole day without issues but my only motion sick experience was in a Mercedes E class as a passenger.

I think both CRV and MY can be a good choice to someone, as long as you test drive and find your good match.