Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comparable to Model 3 (Driving experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I drove both model Y and model 3 to check the driving experience. Model 3 feels towards the ground and steering is amazing and turns are very clean and I could really feel the car in ground. On the other hand, model Y doesn't seem to be that much towards the ground, but comfort was the same. But, I felt the steering is not that smooth and when I took down the ramp from a freeway, it kind of struggled a bit. Is this the same experience you have with the model Y? Is it because of the high ground clearance for the "Y" or any other reasons? Any recent buyers of MY and your opinions on the driving experience of it? pls. help share. thanks!

I don't own either...yet. Tested both though, although months apart.
Tested a 3 with just me and my son, then several months later the Y with wife and all 3 kids....
I honestly can't tell if there's a difference or not.
Regardless, I think it's logical.... each is good, but if you compare next to each other you'll find differences.
and logically the 3 would be a bit more sporty..... especially lightly loaded compared to a more heavily loaded Y
The thing I remember was thinking the Y seemed a bit more sluggish in acceleration...but that could also just be memory and surprise.... in the 3 it was new for me...dizzying even....then later with the Y I kinda knew what to expect.

Like with anything....compare two amazing things side by side (cars, stereos, or even blenders) and there will be subtle but noticeable differences. Look at each separately.... and it's all good.

Today I drove both model Y and model 3 to check the driving experience. Model 3 feels towards the ground and steering is amazing and turns are very clean and I could really feel the car in ground. On the other hand, model Y doesn't seem to be that much towards the ground, but comfort was the same. But, I felt the steering is not that smooth and when I took down the ramp from a freeway, it kind of struggled a bit. Is this the same experience you have with the model Y? Is it because of the high ground clearance for the "Y" or any other reasons? Any recent buyers of MY and your opinions on the driving experience of it? pls. help share. thanks!
Did you have the steering sensitivity set the same in both cars?

Did you have the steering sensitivity set the same in both cars?
yes Both I modified the driving settings to "Standard" and Brakes to "HOLD", so I could compare them side by side. But, just want to understand whether its only me who is feeling the Y as different or the body/make of Y and its aero is different which a model Y user can tell easily I believe!

It's a good question. I first drove a Model Y Performance, and then really made up my mind essentially that day, that this was the car for me. However, to ensure I was fully informed, I came back to my local center and test drove a Model 3. The Model 3 just didn't do it for me...and based on Sandy Munro's tear down videos, I know the Model Y has better build quality. It made me sure of my decision.

Reactions: nonrobot89
It's a good question. I first drove a Model Y Performance, and then really made up my mind essentially that day, that this was the car for me. However, to ensure I was fully informed, I came back to my local center and test drove a Model 3. The Model 3 just didn't do it for me...and based on Sandy Munro's tear down videos, I know the Model Y has better build quality. It made me sure of my decision.

But, what is your opinion about Model Y after driving Model 3. So, you felt Model Y is better?

I've test driven the MY Performance and was very impressed. I don't know if I'm really interested in the M3. In the family we have a Bolt and a Prius Prime at the moment. MY is in a league all it's own, but it's interesting that the MY doesn't have the paddle like the Bolt to increase the regeneration on demand. I can go miles and miles in traffic with the Bolt and never touch the brake, but i have the paddle on the steering wheel to help slow me down quicker too. I don't now if I could get away with doing that with the MY.
The Prime uses a Heat pump also which is why I'm interested in the MY over the M3. Since there is no comparison with the handling of the Prime with any Tesla, it all feels so different in a good way. I just know the benefits of the Heat Pump as far as the hit on mileage.
Now you are making me want to test drive the M3 to see the handling difference.

I never understood the logic for the separate regen paddle in the Bolt. Why don't they just add a setting that will increase regen whenever you lift off the accelerator (basically what Tesla does, and Leaf when put it in 'B')? One less manual control.

I've not driven a Bolt myself but am fairly confident the Y will slow down quicker (or at least the same) in standard regen mode by just lifting your foot off the accelerator than the Bolt by using the paddle. Definitely the case compared to the Leaf.

I've test driven the MY Performance and was very impressed. I don't know if I'm really interested in the M3. In the family we have a Bolt and a Prius Prime at the moment. MY is in a league all it's own, but it's interesting that the MY doesn't have the paddle like the Bolt to increase the regeneration on demand. I can go miles and miles in traffic with the Bolt and never touch the brake, but i have the paddle on the steering wheel to help slow me down quicker too. I don't now if I could get away with doing that with the MY.
The Prime uses a Heat pump also which is why I'm interested in the MY over the M3. Since there is no comparison with the handling of the Prime with any Tesla, it all feels so different in a good way. I just know the benefits of the Heat Pump as far as the hit on mileage.
Now you are making me want to test drive the M3 to see the handling difference.

Definitely, M3 is more towards the real driving experience, but the only option to lean towards MY is its cross over SUV style which would be more suitable for a family vehicle. But, still worried about early build quality of MY and issues that are being reported and piled up all over the forums and over the web like this one, which makes me think a lot:

Reactions: alexcue
Definitely, M3 is more towards the real driving experience, but the only option to lean towards MY is its cross over SUV style which would be more suitable for a family vehicle. But, still worried about early build quality of MY and issues that are being reported and piled up all over the forums and over the web like this one, which makes me think a lot:

I agree... but I'd still like to test the M3. I'm treading lightly when i see these comments about issues. I'm new here and trying to learn about these vehicles. These two models would be in my wheelhouse. I just see these posts on the MY such as the AC issue that some people have and it makes me nervous.

Reactions: nonrobot89
I never understood the logic for the separate regen paddle in the Bolt. Why don't they just add a setting that will increase regen whenever you lift off the accelerator (basically what Tesla does, and Leaf when put it in 'B')? One less manual control.

The Bolt has the mild regen along with the regen paddle as you are thinking of it in the default ‘D’ drive mode. But, it also has a separately selectable ‘L’ drive mode which does stronger regen that brings the car to a full stop and holds it without forward creep like Tesla does now.

In ‘L’ mode, the paddle still adds even stronger regen than many would normally use when stopping. So, I normally drive my own Bolt in ‘L’ mode without using the paddle and almost never use the foot brake but if I need to make an unexpectedly fast stop I use the paddle to brake even harder. I typically only use the foot brake for true emergency stops or to engage “Hill Assist” on steeper road angles.

I understand. What I meant is, that you can just use your foot to modulate the regen (in the Y) - lifting off completely is likely equivalent to using the Bolt's paddle, and if that's too much you just keep some pressure on the accelerator.

BTW: I don't like the 'hold' mode as it results in abrupt stops/starts, and use the 'creep' mode. Also, I prefer to back up slowly (e.g. into the garage) without the risk of sudden acceleration (accidentally pressing the wrong pedal) and the creep mode will move the vehicle slowly with your foot hoovering over the brake. At traffic lights just use the 'brake hold' by pressing the brake pedal firmly, best of both worlds :)

I understand. What I meant is, that you can just use your foot to modulate the regen (in the Y) - lifting off completely is likely equivalent to using the Bolt's paddle, and if that's too much you just keep some pressure on the accelerator.

BTW: I don't like the 'hold' mode as it results in abrupt stops/starts, and use the 'creep' mode. Also, I prefer to back up slowly (e.g. into the garage) without the risk of sudden acceleration (accidentally pressing the wrong pedal) and the creep mode will move the vehicle slowly with your foot hoovering over the brake. At traffic lights just use the 'brake hold' by pressing the brake pedal firmly, best of both worlds :)

I think it's because you haven't used it you don't quite understand the need for it. I see a lot of people have "no brake days" with Tesla. The thing about the paddle in L is that its just a very aggressive regen which allows quicker braking than the single pedal driving alone. Once I've driven the MY I'm sure i can adjust for slowing down and hitting my marks with no brakes.
When I went on the test drive the first thing I turned off was the creep. That's just like being in D mode in the Bolt. It's a normal car at that point for me. But, that's because I'm so used to the Hold feature on the Bolt. My other car is a Prius Prime, and it drives like a normal car no real hold feature other than on a hill. I actually hate the creep because if I take my foot off the car just wants to go. LOL

I agree... but I'd still like to test the M3. I'm treading lightly when i see these comments about issues. I'm new here and trying to learn about these vehicles. These two models would be in my wheelhouse. I just see these posts on the MY such as the AC issue that some people have and it makes me nervous.
They’re definitely unique enough that you’ll notice a difference.

The MY looks great to me, potentially my favorite current Tesla. It has one of the best utilizations of space that I’ve tested, with still a sedan-esque fun drive. In other words, it’s a crossover- the modern stationwagon.

But there is a fine line between a compromise having some of everything and being nothing in particular. Imo, if you’re in a one car situation, the MY makes the most sense. Since we’re a multi-car, multi-EV house, we prioritized the small, sportiness of the M3 and passed on exchanging for the MY. In the event we need a bigger car, we have one.

Last edited:

I've not driven a Bolt myself but am fairly confident the Y will slow down quicker (or at least the same) in standard regen mode by just lifting your foot off the accelerator than the Bolt by using the paddle. Definitely the case compared to the Leaf.

Agreed. When I test drove the Bolt, I found the various paddles and settings to be confusing. I have test driven other cars with a similar setup (the recent Leaf has something similar, I recall) and prefer the tesla. But obviously everyone gets used to whatever they have.