Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y comparable to Model 3 (Driving experience)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But there is a fine line between a compromise having some of everything and being nothing in particular. Imo, if you’re in a one car situation, the MY makes the most sense. Since we’re a multi-car, multi-EV house, we prioritized the small, sportiness of the M3 and passed on exchanging for the MY. In the event we need a bigger car, we have one.

Totally agree.

I've owned two model 3's now. I test drove a performance Y. The model 3 is the much better handling vehicle. It obviously feels much more sporty IMO, becuaes its lower to the ground. THat isn't to say the Y feels bad. The Y is the better single car vehicle, that can fit alot of stuff, still quick, still handles well, and has easier entry / height.

Totally agree.

I've owned two model 3's now. I test drove a performance Y. The model 3 is the much better handling vehicle. It obviously feels much more sporty IMO, becuaes its lower to the ground. THat isn't to say the Y feels bad. The Y is the better single car vehicle, that can fit alot of stuff, still quick, still handles well, and has easier entry / height.
Right, you can see why Tesla feels like it’ll be their best selling of the current lineup.

The MY handling and sportiness is really good if compared against other crossovers, like the Model X. Parts aside, I feel it’s as much a smaller X as it is a hatched Model 3. It’s that spacious inside, and feels different enough from the M3 in driving.

If you’re looking for performance and space, it’s a home run value for EVs. Better than nearly any crossover imo, as it retains more of the feel of a sedan. That said, you’re not going to track or canyon in this, so if removing value from the equation, Performance X offers more space, more acceleration, and better comfort.

I’d pay twice the M3 cost if they’d make that a hatch with MS motors, a virtual reality heads-up, blindspot warning, and some legacy quality interior options.

I’d pay twice the M3 cost if they’d make that a hatch with MS motors, a virtual reality heads-up, blindspot warning, and some legacy quality interior options.

I know we have gone off on a tangent. But my Prius Prime has Heads Up display, blindspot warning (on mirrors) and rear cross traffic alert w/braking. It is NOT however any where near in performance, handling or UI where a Tesla is (Toyota is still in the prior century). I just wish Tesla would have those and for me it would be absolutely perfect.

Reactions: BlindPass
I have a 2018 M3 AWD 18” and a 2020 MY AWD 19”. They are very similar cars but drive and feel different. The seat height in the 3 sits much lower and has less body roll, so feels faster and more nimble.

I also feel that Tesla has retuned the Y dynamics to be more crossover like. Accelerator response is noticeably reduced, steering wheel dead spot is increased and even the brake pedal engagement seems slower.

I like both cars but still love my 3 for it’s razor sharp driving experience

Reactions: BlindPass
I think it's because you haven't used it you don't quite understand the need for it. I see a lot of people have "no brake days" with Tesla. The thing about the paddle in L is that its just a very aggressive regen which allows quicker braking than the single pedal driving alone. Once I've driven the MY I'm sure i can adjust for slowing down and hitting my marks with no brakes.
When I went on the test drive the first thing I turned off was the creep. That's just like being in D mode in the Bolt. It's a normal car at that point for me. But, that's because I'm so used to the Hold feature on the Bolt. My other car is a Prius Prime, and it drives like a normal car no real hold feature other than on a hill. I actually hate the creep because if I take my foot off the car just wants to go. LOL

I own a Bolt and a Model Y. The MY regen allows for one-pedal driving without the need for a regen paddle. It will come to a full stop with just regen. No break pedal is necessary unless emergency or distracted/unsafe driving. I owned a Model X before the MY and that would not come to a full stop with just regen. The regen petered out at about 6 miles per hour. Chevy made the Bolt worse by having the default driving mode with zero regen. Having to shift twice just to get regen every. single. time. I shift to a forward gear is so dumb. Despite the lighter regen on the Model X, I would still chose it’s regen over the Bolts regen + paddle. And the MY regen is even better!

Tesla’s regen is very refined, especially at high speeds. Strong without being jerky. Chevy’s regen is rough and unrefined. Canceling cruise control at 65-70 kicks in hard regen forcing the driver to hit the accelerator to avoid being rear ended. There’s no subtlety to it.

The Bolt has the mild regen along with the regen paddle as you are thinking of it in the default ‘D’ drive mode. But, it also has a separately selectable ‘L’ drive mode which does stronger regen that brings the car to a full stop and holds it without forward creep like Tesla does now.

Tesla added a full one pedal "hold" mode feature in a software update late last year.

In ‘L’ mode, the paddle still adds even stronger regen than many would normally use when stopping. So, I normally drive my own Bolt in ‘L’ mode without using the paddle and almost never use the foot brake but if I need to make an unexpectedly fast stop I use the paddle to brake even harder. I typically only use the foot brake for true emergency stops or to engage “Hill Assist” on steeper road angles.

I normally drive our Volt in "L+Sport". I often use the paddle to get max regen without (or while) moving my foot to the brake pedal. It is especially nice in residential areas when going around lots of corners. Since the Volt doesn't do a complete one pedal stop in "L", still have to use the brake pedal for stop signs.

How is the difference in ride quality? I loved a M3 awd test drive, but the stories of ride quality on the MY are concerning.
What are you currently driving?

As a daily driver here in FL, I didn’t notice a big difference in ride quality on our overnight test. Both are notably worse than the more advanced suspensions you’ll find on a lot of similarly priced options.

What are you currently driving?

As a daily driver here in FL, I didn’t notice a big difference in ride quality on our overnight test. Both are notably worse than the more advanced suspensions you’ll find on a lot of similarly priced options.

Currently driving a 2016 Outback, which is a pretty comfortable ride. Last December I test drove a 2020 X3 M40i which I found very bouncy on the highway. I also drove a Model 3 AWD which i thought was great.

I'm reading lots of complaints about some MY ride quality. Also, I really don't want hubcaps on my $55k car. The 19s without them look so puny compared to the M3 with the 18"s and no hubcaps. They can market them as aerocovers, but they look like plastic hubcaps to me.

Anyway, while I am on the fence about the wheel choice, I am hoping Tesla improves the overall ride quality as they did for early Model 3s.

Currently driving a 2016 Outback, which is a pretty comfortable ride. Last December I test drove a 2020 X3 M40i which I found very bouncy on the highway. I also drove a Model 3 AWD which i thought was great.

I'm reading lots of complaints about some MY ride quality. Also, I really don't want hubcaps on my $55k car. The 19s without them look so puny compared to the M3 with the 18"s and no hubcaps. They can market them as aerocovers, but they look like plastic hubcaps to me.

Anyway, while I am on the fence about the wheel choice, I am hoping Tesla improves the overall ride quality as they did for early Model 3s.
I recently tested an X3 m40i (and the M competition) in efforts to see if the best ICE offerings were better enough in the non-acceleration aspects to go back.

We retested the MY right afterwards to calibrate. We thought the ride quality more “fun” in the MY, albeit more noise. Comfortable enough, with less undesirable movement. Our roads are good here though, so you’re not penalized for the sportiness.