Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y compared to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like none of the photos from the event really give much context to the size of the Model Y, or how it compares to the size of the Model 3, so I took some screenshots of both from the configurator and it helps to get a sense of the size difference (at least on the outside).

yvs3-msm.jpg
yvs3-white.jpg

Exactly. I can tell that the Y is larger, but its really hard to tell how much. The way they changed it is pretty subtle.
The one aspect that seems noticeable is the slope of the frunk hood where it meets the windshield. the Y is definitely more sloped.

I'm super curious to see what the hatch and cargo area really look like.

To be honest, the Y design isn't going to knock anyone's socks off. It looks like an overweight Model 3.

And why is it not a proper SUV, looks like a hatchback or SUV Coupe ?
I get your point. I do agree. But I think many people are looking for a taller sitting sedan, a CUV or a small SUV. This is somewhat similar to European SUV “coupes”

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
I don’t have any kind of fancy photo software. But if anyone can grab screenshots of Models 3 and Y from the configuration, both with the same size wheels, you can superimpose one on top of the other to get a sense of the difference in size. Kudos to whoever can help a brother out.

I get your point. I do agree. But I think many people are looking for a taller sitting sedan, a CUV or a small SUV. This is somewhat similar to European SUV “coupes”
That’s kinda where you transition off to the Model X. I’m sure some care was exercised in assuring there was clear differentiation. But I do slightly agree it could’ve been a tad bigger.

And did anyone notice the front end has a less aggressive look than the Model 3? Look at the lip on the bottom where the “intake” is. On the 3, it’s set deeper with the lip protruding out kinda riding the road whereas the Y doesn’t have that.

ED8A724B-1973-47A4-84F5-1D3529722565.jpeg
I don’t have any kind of fancy photo software. But if anyone can grab screenshots of Models 3 and Y from the configuration, both with the same size wheels, you can superimpose one on top of the other to get a sense of the difference in size. Kudos to whoever can help a brother out.

I tried, it’s not very accurate to compare wheel bases that may be longer or shorter by only an inch or so as the perspective angles and proportions are too different on these CG images. But since they share platforms they may be virtually identical. We’ll know soon enough.

I did take the liberty to drop it down, tint the glass further, and place 21”-22” wheels on a Black Model Y Performance to reduce wheel gap... Looks nice IMO! Customizers and tuners are going to have a field day with this car. It will be a big seller. However I fear these mods will require a firmware upgrade to recalibrate the speedo most likely.

Last edited: