Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-Y Comprehensive Insurance Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RAC (WA) is unlimited maybe RACQ have the same deal? From RAC WA "Your policy includes an unlimited hire car after fire, theft and attempted theft as standard. You can also choose to extend this cover to include an unlimited hire car after accident. The hire car will be provided for an unlimited number of days until your car is fixed or your claim is settled."
RACQ only covers hire car for 21 days in all cases unfortunately. They must use different insurance underwriters.

RACV

Agreed value of 75k and 1500 excess.

Complete Care®​

$1881.54/Yearly

$156.80/Monthly
($1881.54 over 12 months)

• Damage to your vehicle
  • Damage to other people's vehicle or property
  • Hire car included after any incident
  • Windscreen and glass cover with no excess
  • Choice of repairer after an incident

Has anyone got any experience with Budget Direct. I've seen some pretty bad reviews online. But they also claim to be the insurer of the year. Confused as hell. But they are the cheapest I got.
My mate had an excellent claim experience with them, completely no hassle. My sister-in-law the same.

After nearly 20 years with Shannons. given that they're not keen on Tesla, II went with Budget Direct for the M3. I've recently moved my daughters car to Youi, they were very competitive.

Reactions: enabler
I also got a very affordable quote from AAMI, $639 per annum. But that of course doesn't include car replacement if the car's off road for repairs. That is available (as is glass replacement) for an additional premium. Probably helps that I live in regional Victoria, which is much cheaper than metro.

My S is in the body shop at the moment: putting in the claim with NRMA was a pain as the website kept rejecting inputs. Eventually it took the details and that was the last communication I've had! No acknowledgement of the claim, no acceptance, no email, no phone call.
The body shop has the acceptance from NRMA!
Trying to phone is a waste of time, and when I in desperation tried the webchat I was no. 57 in the queue so I gave up.
As I've posted on another thread though, the good news is that all the parts including the rear panel were in the body shop within ten days!

I'm really unhappy with the claims process with NRMA.

I got rear-ended at a stop sign weekend before last. Tesla Service said there were 3 accredited body shops in the Canberra region. As it's a not-at-fault matter I just went to the closest, which happens to be in the very suburb where I live. There's another 2 suburbs away in Fyshwick, and another across town in Belconnen. Got it assessed, it's $2133 (albeit with the risk they'll find something serious underneath when they pull the bumper off). But they said that I'd be better off going through my insurance and having them deal with the other party's insurance. Fine. Called NRMA. NRMA insisted that I travel clear across town to either Mitchell or Tuggeranong, from where my car would be towed to a repairer (clear back across town to either Fyshwick or Queanbeyan). I'd then have to somehow get home from Tuggeranong, which at best is a half-hour Uber ride.

After a lot of grief with the claims team, I went along with their advice. Lo and behold, they said they'd need to refer me to Fyshwick or Queanbeyan. Surprise surprise. Fyshwick is currently relocating premises and it's a mess getting anything done through them, so yep, Queanbeyan.

I mentioned to Motorserve that I'd already had it assessed by the mob in Queanbeyan. Motorserve asked for the estimate number, but they let me keep my car while scheduling the work with them. Thank goodness. But they said that once the repairs are complete they'd tow the car back to Tuggeranong and I'd pick it up from there. Seriously, WTF, I live two blocks from them, why tow it half an hour and also make me do an hour plus round trip to collect the car when I could walk to the G-D body shop in under 10 minutes? For what's almost certainly just a few gashes on a bumper?

NRMA's processes add hundreds of dollars of waste, in everyone's time, money and stress, for trivial matters that should be treated as glorified petty cash jobs.

Reactions: pts260 and Wol747
My body shop said that I was wasting my money paying extra for having "owners' choice of repairer" because they are the only Tesla approved shop within 150Km so the insurer has to use them anyway, but I wouldn't be surprised if NRMA didn't insist it went down to Sydney otherwise!

So does it mean if I don't get owners choice that the insurer will use a Tesla approved body shop? Not just send it to a shop that works for them?

Last edited:
My S is in the body shop at the moment: putting in the claim with NRMA was a pain as the website kept rejecting inputs. Eventually it took the details and that was the last communication I've had! No acknowledgement of the claim, no acceptance, no email, no phone call.
I found the claims process with NRMA is good, with the very very large caveat: DO NOT USE THE WEBSITE TO LODGE YOUR CLAIM. Always lodge the claim on the phone.
Yes, but they'll make you jump through the hoop of going to someone who can't fix it, who will make you show up and tell you they can't fix it, and then redirect the job to the Tesla approved body shop.
Maybe I'm a rube, but I paid extra for the choice-of-repairer just to avoid that kind of runaround.

I like AAMI, in that you can increase the Agreed Value (Not sure what Market Value will be if/when it's required) but at least you can cover the price rises and be able to pay the scalper rates if you want to get a new one straight away. Somthing to think about. My premiums for garaged in Wollongong, 15000km, 40+, Agreed Value of $93990, an excess of $2800 (both maximum allowed). is $1250

Last edited:
I was checking for the same. My car is due to arrive next year, but I tried generating a quote to get an idea about the possible quote.

I find NRMA to be the cheapest (and I am surprised, since they quoted higher than most providers for my Mazda). I generated a quote for Tesla Model Y 2022 (anticipating similar cost for 2023 model) and it came to $165pm!

Considering NRMA usually quotes higher, I am surprised at this. I thought I made a mistake and re generated the quote from the start and the quote stayed cheap!

Has anyone here used NRMA comprehensive insurance before?

Also on a side note, do we need seperate roadside assistance since I believe all Tesla's come with roadside assistance by Tesla?

Also on a side note, do we need seperate roadside assistance since I believe all Tesla's come with roadside assistance by Tesla?
You absolutely want separate roadside. NRMA road service saved my backside one day a few months ago, with two tow trucks for only vaguely related issues, one of which was a few kms, the other was about 120km, and a Tesla-literate patrolman who taught me a lot.

NRMA has its strengths. Statewide coverage. Different grades of service that can include accommodation and transfers home, as well as towing. Very helpful patrolmen. And they're also funding the roll-out of a very handy charging network in obscure areas.

Tesla roadside has its own strengths. The tyre swap service, and the tow trucks, and remote assistance via the call centre. But their service isn't everywhere. And often they're out of tyres. But yes, it's part of the warranty. Something I'm very much beyond due to excessive kms driven.

• Helpful
Reactions: adee and Maximillan
did a few online quotes a couple of weeks back just to get an idea of the ballpark before i jump right in to one insurer

basics were
nrma
aami
budget
gio
youi

nrma gave a sharp quote which i have in my email and wasted an hour on the phone today as the price i got i cant get close to it again using the link to their website and they cant work it out

nrma sucks for their excess as well its either $1000 or $1500

gio was prob the 2nd cheapest in $1100 region

budget came under a grand upping the excess got it down to sub $900 , i found the sweetspot on the excess , at one point $200 up gives $100 drop in premium , been using them for a few years as they were way way way cheaper for the work van by upping the excess as long as you dont make a claim in the first year you are in front for the next year onwards and considering havent made a claim in 15+ years its worth the risk to save

did the compare the meerkats and iselect , budget was cheapest on both but iselects was cheaper for some reason , no doubt theres a kickback payment in there

i did a few quotes with budget , my last which i logged in as i already have a policy was the cheapest so dunno if that helped or not