Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model-Y Comprehensive Insurance Recommendation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if this is your first tesla welcome to the worst part of the ownership experience. After 8 years of ownership insurance renewal is still the most problematic aspect. Despite no demerits, no claims etc. Premiums vary wildly. Sometimes insurers just stop wanting to insure teslas. NSW based, but Comminsure was the best for me this year.

15 year customer with Shannons who insure my track car, but they treat Teslas as a "high risk" vehicle. I've since insured it with Budget Direct, but found Youi and GIO to be competitive and also offer a choice of repairer.

Everyone's situation will be different so best to start googling for quotes once after your VIN is assigned as I've found quotes to be only valid for 30 days.

Thanks all for your reply. Amazing to see how it differs from company to company and how they perceive MY-Tesla.

I have explored (based in Vic), for MY: These are the companies still not providing. (When I checked last time)
- Youi, AUST POST, WestPack, coles, Bingle, P.D, QBE, ANZ.

I have got only 3 (my situation 1 claim in 2020 with my previous car)
1) Allianz: 2598/yr, 2 yr replacement, 1500 excess 2) AAMI: 3065/yr, 2 yr replacement, 1475 excess, 3) GIO: 3837/yr, 2 yr replacement, 2200 excess.

Hoping to get the best deal closer to my delivery date.

Please reply if you have any other suggestions/recommendation. Appreciate it.

if this is your first tesla welcome to the worst part of the ownership experience. After 8 years of ownership insurance renewal is still the most problematic aspect. Despite no demerits, no claims etc. Premiums vary wildly. Sometimes insurers just stop wanting to insure teslas. NSW based, but Comminsure was the best for me this year.
I was with CommInsure for my other cars and was generally happy with them.
When I got my Model 3, CommInsure's quote was significantly higher than NRMA's for similar cover and excess. NRMA's price was even lower than my 9-year old Merc with CommInsure. I thought I would just move the Merc to NRMA too as they are cheaper. However, the quote for my Merc with NRMA was higher than what I currently pay CommInsure.

So for my new Tesla, NRMA is much better than CommInsure. Your situation may be different.

I found a 100% variance for my 3 on shopping around. It was obvious some companies actuaries truly hate Tesla. In NSW GIO/Suncorp and Comminsure gave the best quotes for my demographic and circumstance. I had an at fault claim with GIO which pushed the renewal up but I stayed with them anyway after getting more quotes. Never accept any insurance renewals without getting quotes every year.

I found a 100% variance for my 3 on shopping around. It was obvious some companies actuaries truly hate Tesla.
When you read threads like the following you can understand that some insurers have a significant costs in supporting a Tesla insurance claim and have deemed them high risk. Just the cost of an EV replacement vehicle for the period of time waiting for parts can be significant. Lets hope that with more cars, that parts supply along with a larger base of premiums will smooth things out.

I agree with your approach of quoting every renewal.

All the insurers are different
What is good for someone is bad for someone else

My quick and dirty on nrma , gio and aami the other day had aami way in front

Top tips
Make sure you get full glass cover ,they all dont do full coverage
Full hire car

Ive found over the years to jack up the excess can be a significantly cheaper premium

Reactions: jcan and 1001
Until something goes wrong. I'm with Comminsure and someone ran into me a couple of months ago. I contacted them via the app and they told me they would get back to me within 10 days. The contact with me was absolute minimal, I think one phone call I initiated, otherwise just two emails. I asked for a hire car, and they told me to ring the other guys insurance. I have no idea what I'm paying for. It wasn't even the cheapest for me, I just decided to keep my insurance and banking in one spot. Dealing with the other guys insurance was better (Shannons), but they only provided me with a RAV4 Hybrid, (junk) after I asked for a car of equivalent value. Apparently it's not their policy to give more expensive hire cars.

RAC (WA) has put the Y on their auto quote system and I believe might be able to insure other states with their motoring club partnerships?
Around $900pa for a YRWD and $1100 for YP

i just noticed this and was quoted just over $900 for a YP

Until something goes wrong. I'm with Comminsure and someone ran into me a couple of months ago. I contacted them via the app and they told me they would get back to me within 10 days. The contact with me was absolute minimal, I think one phone call I initiated, otherwise just two emails. I asked for a hire car, and they told me to ring the other guys insurance. I have no idea what I'm paying for. It wasn't even the cheapest for me, I just decided to keep my insurance and banking in one spot. Dealing with the other guys insurance was better (Shannons), but they only provided me with a RAV4 Hybrid, (junk) after I asked for a car of equivalent value. Apparently it's not their policy to give more expensive hire cars.
Good to know, thanks for that. It is hard to compare insurers if you have no feedback from the actual claims process

Reactions: Maximillan
I've chased quotes from quite a few insurers but the only one I've found with unlimited car hire is AAMI. Has anyone else found one with a good car hire option? I've heard parts unavalability is an issue and can take months for a vehicle to be fixed. Comminsure from memory was only 14 days and most others were offering limited time periods in the fine print.

I've chased quotes from quite a few insurers but the only one I've found with unlimited car hire is AAMI. Has anyone else found one with a good car hire option? I've heard parts unavalability is an issue and can take months for a vehicle to be fixed. Comminsure from memory was only 14 days and most others were offering limited time periods in the fine print.

RAC (WA) is unlimited maybe RACQ have the same deal? From RAC WA "Your policy includes an unlimited hire car after fire, theft and attempted theft as standard. You can also choose to extend this cover to include an unlimited hire car after accident. The hire car will be provided for an unlimited number of days until your car is fixed or your claim is settled."

Reactions: Blaq