Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y crack in the glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have picked up my Model Y in March and it has been sitting around with very little driving due to COVID <350mi. I have had some minor repairs and adjustment after pick up but overall super happy with the car. Last weekend I have noticed a big crack that I have in the glass roof. Now there seems to be a small point of impact but as the car has been just sitting I really don't have an idea where it could come from and we had freezing overnight temperature as well. Now that I am going to have the roof repaired, I wonder if this is typical for Tesla's glass and if there is something that I can do to prevent it from happening when I actually start driving?

An auto glass story. This happened sometime in the late 1990s. I’m was chief of police in a town on Cape Cod. Hurricane was coming, so we were getting our equipment ready to deal with “issues.”

Standing outside the station house with my Lieutenant and one other police officer, by my “chief’s” car, a Ford Explorer. Rear compartment door was wide open.

As we’re standing around I hear a crash. The left side rear window blew out!! My Lieutenant, going into Lieutenant mode, first thought someone had done something to cause the breakage. But, looking around, it was obvious no one was anywhere near the rear window when it blew.

Not a clue what happened. Air pressure was kind of “weird” though.

Rich

So just wanted to give an update. Car is repaired and it took 1 day of labor. The part took about 2 weeks to arrive with one-week delay. Overall not too bad and the damage was about $1,650 not cheep but also could have been worse. While I had the crack the MY had no issues driving, I was just hesitant to wash it.

Happy the car if fixed now but I guess it will be a mystery.

Attaching the picture
20200510_124343.jpg

Reactions: tk1971
I imagine they replaced the whole roof pane, right? I wonder if there's some type of film or PPF that can be placed on the glass roof to help make it more resilient to damage, kind of like the way that the screen protectors protect your phone or touchscreens.

I have picked up my Model Y in March and it has been sitting around with very little driving due to COVID <350mi. I have had some minor repairs and adjustment after pick up but overall super happy with the car. Last weekend I have noticed a big crack that I have in the glass roof. Now there seems to be a small point of impact but as the car has been just sitting I really don't have an idea where it could come from and we had freezing overnight temperature as well. Now that I am going to have the roof repaired, I wonder if this is typical for Tesla's glass and if there is something that I can do to prevent it from happening when I actually start driving?
Our Model 3 had an interior crack in the glass roof. Tesla replaced it in less than a week. I remember reading that a number of other owners had a similar problem.

i had a little acura once years ago.... two different events, very different times maybe years apart and very different parts of the windshield.... I don't recall which was fist

one was a big rock at highway speed , sounded like a ball peen hammer hitting full force...barely a little spec of a chip... like a salt grain taken out of it.

the other I never saw and was looking straight at it at the time.... sounded like a grain of sand hit the windshield...just a little tick, barely heard it.... cracked the windshield. The crack grew from an inch or two to nearly the full windshield over the next couple hours on the road trip.

Residual stress in glass in an odd thing sometimes.

Since you are in IL what do you mean by "glass insurance"? I'm assuming carrying comprehensive on your car insurance includes glass.

I have Country Financial Auto/Home Insurance, my glass and GAP insurance are all additional coverages you can add to your normal policy. I decided I wanted the maximum coverage available on my new Tesla. This is how my insurance describes my Glass Coverage:

"Waives your comprehensive deductible for the cost of repairing or replacing glass in your car, like windshields, windows, and light covers." It also has trip coverage should the car be undrivable and lodging etc.

It added about $10/month to my policy. After seeing this post I'm so glad I have it. If that had been a normal car there might have been a "chip" in the metal roof that could be easily repaired or ignored. A crack like that in the Y's glass roof has to be replaced.

So for something like this wouldn't cost me a dime.

Does it look like an impact or a stress fracture? There were known issues with model 3’s having stress fractures and we’ve seen it on model y’s as well.