Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y crack in the glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have picked up my Model Y in March and it has been sitting around with very little driving due to COVID <350mi. I have had some minor repairs and adjustment after pick up but overall super happy with the car. Last weekend I have noticed a big crack that I have in the glass roof. Now there seems to be a small point of impact but as the car has been just sitting I really don't have an idea where it could come from and we had freezing overnight temperature as well. Now that I am going to have the roof repaired, I wonder if this is typical for Tesla's glass and if there is something that I can do to prevent it from happening when I actually start driving?
Just had my car touch less delivered. Within hour Roof crack looking like similar to yours. Now the comment it happens well I was doing the checklist on car with trunk open looking back there when I heard a noise and the saw roof. No one around nothing around the crack in roof on car with less than 20miles and ownership for an hour.

Just had my car touch less delivered. Within hour Roof crack looking like similar to yours. Now the comment it happens well I was doing the checklist on car with trunk open looking back there when I heard a noise and the saw roof. No one around nothing around the crack in roof on car with less than 20miles and ownership for an hour.

I have a similar roof crack with no impact on my 2 week old MY. Nearest SC is 2 hours away. How long did it take to replace your roof?

I had the issue with my roof panorama glass. It stated as a small crack then grew every day. Tesla said it was my fault when installed my utility rack. I installed them per specification. My concern is they design a rack system that induce stress concentration in the glass and they blame the customer for the glass failure. The car is 2 days old and wrongfully assume this should be a warranty issue. Very disappointed...

I had the issue with my roof panorama glass. It stated as a small crack then grew every day. Tesla said it was my fault when installed my utility rack. I installed them per specification. My concern is they design a rack system that induce stress concentration in the glass and they blame the customer for the glass failure. The car is 2 days old and wrongfully assume this should be a warranty issue. Very disappointed...

There is a post in this forum (I think) about a MY owner with a cracked roof as a result of the roof rack and it was determined that Tesla shipped a M3 rack instead of the MY rack so Tesla covered the roof repair

The rack on my MY doesn’t touch the glass. It rests on the roof just outside the glass and there’s ~ 1/16” of clearance between the foot of the rack and the roof glass.

I have picked up my Model Y in March and it has been sitting around with very little driving due to COVID <350mi. I have had some minor repairs and adjustment after pick up but overall super happy with the car. Last weekend I have noticed a big crack that I have in the glass roof. Now there seems to be a small point of impact but as the car has been just sitting I really don't have an idea where it could come from and we had freezing overnight temperature as well. Now that I am going to have the roof repaired, I wonder if this is typical for Tesla's glass and if there is something that I can do to prevent it from happening when I actually start driving?
What’s the cost to fix?

Just picked up my Model Y and was told there was a problem. The panoramic glass had a crack completely from side to side over the passenger seats. I was told it was a transport issue but there was no visible sign of an impact on the outside. It had not been driven. The crack was only visible from the inside looking up. Since we were from out of town staying at a local hotel and leaving the next day, the dealership replaced the entire roof. They gave me a loaner Y and delivered my car to the hotel four hours later. Im worried the heat stress might have contributed.
IMG_0858.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Just picked up my Model Y and was told there was a problem. The panoramic glass had a crack completely from side to side over the passenger seats. I was told it was a transport issue but there was no visible sign of an impact on the outside. It had not been driven. The crack was only visible from the inside looking up. Since we were from out of town staying at a local hotel and leaving the next day, the dealership replaced the entire roof. They gave me a loaner Y and delivered my car to the hotel four hours later. Im worried the heat stress might have contributed.
Glad they took care of it so quickly! But I doubt heat stress had anything to do with it. Most examples of cracked roofs I've seen here have either an impact point or someone didn't install a roof rack correctly.

Hey everyone. I have a Model Y that was totaled and I am repairing it right now and need the panoramic glass and doors. See photos here
Can someone suggest where to buy it? I am repairing the car in Lithuania because I am importing the car and planning to sell it abroad