Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y creaking noise from wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be this: Weird noise from Model Y

Not sure if the 19" Continentals have the same barcode as the 21" Michelin

Did you inspect the inner side of the wheel\tire to see if you have some trash from the road stuck in the suspension area?
Not my car, family who live on the other end of the continent, they say the same noise comes from all 4 wheels, so it would be unlikely the same trash in all. Will have then check. The creaking is not dependent on the wheel position either, so the barcode also unlikely.

Not my car, family who live on the other end of the continent, they say the same noise comes from all 4 wheels, so it would be unlikely the same trash in all. Will have then check. The creaking is not dependent on the wheel position either, so the barcode also unlikely.
Then maybe a tire barcode sticker: Weird noise from Model Y

Also have them check underneath the car, maybe something is dragging causing the noise, so instead of from the tires it's coming from underneath

1680221504776.png

This is the first I'm hearing of anyone with a 2023 reporting the issue, but it was an issue back in 2021. Its the Gemini wheel covers "creaking".

Pull them off and see if the noise goes away. If so, the solution back then was to trim down these small plastic nibs around the perimeter of the wheel cover. That is whats rubbing and making the noise

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: whitex and chobra
This is the first I'm hearing of anyone with a 2023 reporting the issue, but it was an issue back in 2021. Its the Gemini wheel covers "creaking".

Pull them off and see if the noise goes away. If so, the solution back then was to trim down these small plastic nibs around the perimeter of the wheel cover. That is whats rubbing and making the noise

After listening to the video again and reading your post, I agree that it's very likely what you mention

OP, tell your family member that it's because they didn't upgrade to the 20" induction wheels...LOL

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
Take out the wheel covers and see if the creaking goes away.

Thanks. Yep, that is we ended up agreeing should be the next step. Late on the east coast, so will try hopefully tomorrow. With Tesla, regressions are not unheard of. Even the same software bugs come back years later. I hope that's it. Will report back when I hear back.

Reactions: chobra
Just hear this noise on my 23 model y performance...is there a video or photos on how to fix this on my own or do i need to contact tesla service

Thanks for all the info
The tires need to be removed to have the barcode label sanded off. Tesla would be the most expensive route unless they cover it under warranty, which some have had luck with. If you want to be sure that's the noise, spray some WD40 on the barcode (You should be able to see it with the tire mounted) then roll the car back and forth to see if the noise goes away.

Just hear this noise on my 23 model y performance...is there a video or photos on how to fix this on my own or do i need to contact tesla service

Thanks for all the info
For me the creaking was coming from the lugnut wheel cap (only on a single wheel); I removed the cap and the creaking went away. It's a two minute check that can be done at home so give that a try first. Try driving around without caps and see if that makes a difference.

I popped them back on with a grease and have not heard anything since.

Good luck.