Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y crushes RWD Taycan in drag race. How embarrassing.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I’ll base my judgement based on the experience of several people I know who have driven both extensively.

a quick Google has the MS100D as exactly the same weight as a Taycan 4S, not much in it. The comparison was with a MY anyway?

Your friends have not extensively driven this RWD "budget" variant. No matter how you spin it, this is embarrassing for the Porsche to be so out performed by a family SUV at the same or cheaper price point.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ron_M3 and X Fan
Your friends have not extensively driven this RWD "budget" variant. No matter how you spin it, this is embarrassing for the Porsche to be so out performed by a family SUV at the same or cheaper price point.
Porsche are still rolling around laughing at the broken down Model S trying to beat their record around the ring over a year ago and haven't tried again since. I doubt they take Tesla seriously until Tesla enter motorsport

Reactions: Ron_M3
Porsche are still rolling around laughing at the broken down Model S trying to beat their record around the ring over a year ago and haven't tried again since. I doubt they take Tesla seriously until Tesla enter motorsport

They took Tesla seriously enough to test the Taycan alongside a whole fleet of Model S. So at least it gave them a benchmark to aim at. Tesla never had that luxury when developing the Model S a whole decade earlier.

I don't understand the obsession with drag racing cars that are so obviously chalk and cheese, apples and pears...... whatever!

I would have thought it highly unlikely that anyone looking to buy a sports car would have their head turned by a family SUV, regardless of the latter's ability to out perform the former. The S might be a better comparison, even then I would suggest my reasoning stands. Until Tesla release the Roadster, or Porsche the equivalent of the Macan/Cayenne, any comparison between the two marques is meaningless?

I don't understand the obsession with drag racing cars that are so obviously chalk and cheese, apples and pears...... whatever!

I would have thought it highly unlikely that anyone looking to buy a sports car would have their head turned by a family SUV, regardless of the latter's ability to out perform the former. The S might be a better comparison, even then I would suggest my reasoning stands. Until Tesla release the Roadster, or Porsche the equivalent of the Macan/Cayenne, any comparison between the two marques is meaningless?

The S makes a very good comparison actually. The Taycan is not exactly an all out sports car like the Cayman or 911. It’s basically an electric Panamera, a car often cross shopped against the Model S.

I think the comparison with the Y was simply because that’s a car they happened to own. What it does show is just how much Porsche have crippled the performance of their base Taycan. Straight line acceleration should be a major strength of any performance focused electric car and yet Porsche have dumbed it down here. It’s a bit pathetic really.

The S makes a very good comparison actually. The Taycan is not exactly an all out sports car like the Cayman or 911. It’s basically an electric Panamera, a car often cross shopped against the Model S.

I'd not really thought of the Taycan/Panamera as a cross shop option for the S, but yeah, good point well made!

I think the comparison with the Y was simply because that’s a car they happened to own. What it does show is just how much Porsche have crippled the performance of their base Taycan. Straight line acceleration should be a major strength of any performance focused electric car and yet Porsche have dumbed it down here. It’s a bit pathetic really.

I don't disagree with your thoughts here either, but I still find the comparison/drag race thing irksome!

I'll stick with my M3P and trounce or match all but one of the Taycan range in a straight line - see I got drawn in :p

Might be enough to make you think ‘nah’ about the Taycan though. And then what? Either you shell out a few more tens of grands or you go back to fossil or start taking Tesla seriously.

Eh? Porsche exist to make a profit, nothing else. Tesla sell, what, twice as many cars as them? How can they not take that seriously?

And Porsche are pulling out for Formula E, the only electric vehicle motorsport they have entered.

• Disagree
Unfortunately that's a common strategy in car upselling in most traditional brands.

Eh? Porsche exist to make a profit, nothing else. Tesla sell, what, twice as many cars as them? How can they not take that seriously?

And Porsche are pulling out for Formula E, the only electric vehicle motorsport they have entered.

The last reported figures from Porsche were 1.2B proft for a half year so they do quite well.
But in volume terms you have to see Porsche as part of VW which uses different brands to segment their offering. VW/Porsche know that high volume starts to detract value from Porsche so the underlying technology gets packaged and tuned differently into different brands. The E-tron GT shares much with the taycan as an example. Eventually it might become a vw e-Passat with cheaper suspension and lower quality materials. If Ferrari just wanted a big sales volume they could just stop calling fiats fiats and start calling them Ferrari’s. Nearest Tesla get is sharing bits between the M3 and MY and I suspect the Roadster 2 will be just a MS plaid+ in a fancy dress, they’ll cash in all the £200k+ sales then bring out a Roadster long range for £120k trashing the values of the full fat roadsters

The last reported figures from Porsche were 1.2B proft for a half year so they do quite well.
But in volume terms you have to see Porsche as part of VW which uses different brands to segment their offering. VW/Porsche know that high volume starts to detract value from Porsche so the underlying technology gets packaged and tuned differently into different brands. The E-tron GT shares much with the taycan as an example. Eventually it might become a vw e-Passat with cheaper suspension and lower quality materials. If Ferrari just wanted a big sales volume they could just stop calling fiats fiats and start calling them Ferrari’s. Nearest Tesla get is sharing bits between the M3 and MY and I suspect the Roadster 2 will be just a MS plaid+ in a fancy dress, they’ll cash in all the £200k+ sales then bring out a Roadster long range for £120k trashing the values of the full fat roadsters

Yeah I see Porsche these days as more of a badge engineering exercise for VAG. Quite sad really. They sell more SUVs than sports cars too.

I do think the Roadster will share the same drivetrain as the Plaid S+, but I doubt they will make a cheaper version of it.

Reactions: FEERSUMENDJIN