Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - cycles -Tesla towbar or are there aftermarket options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps a bit premature (I am still waiting for a VIN, and I don't believe and UK owners have their car yet) but...

For those considering getting Tesla to install towbar on their Y, what is your main reason for doing so?

For me, I only want to add a cycle carrier so I'm thinking the Tesla option might be overkill as I don't actually want to tow anything.. does anyone know whether there are cheaper options for tow bar mounting of cycle carriers?

I guess any X or 3 owners may have gone through this thought process already?

Why are people also paying for installation on top of the £1,090? This is some service centres taking the piss surely. The price clearly includes installation.

Attachments

• 1992865C-DEE2-4CB0-B218-40C8748AEC48.png
    1992865C-DEE2-4CB0-B218-40C8748AEC48.png
    565.8 KB · Views: 287
Why are people also paying for installation on top of the £1,090? This is some service centres taking the piss surely. The price clearly includes installation.

Perhaps a bit premature (I am still waiting for a VIN, and I don't believe and UK owners have their car yet) but...

For those considering getting Tesla to install towbar on their Y, what is your main reason for doing so?

For me, I only want to add a cycle carrier so I'm thinking the Tesla option might be overkill as I don't actually want to tow anything.. does anyone know whether there are cheaper options for tow bar mounting of cycle carriers?

I guess any X or 3 owners may have gone through this thought process already?
I only plan to hang a couple of E-bikes on the back but after spending a lot of money on the car, I don't fancy bolting on a lookalike hitch. I prefer a fully guaranteed and properly integrated package - also better for later vehicle resale. I'm picking up my MY on Tuesday but the Tesla Shop won't let me place the hitch in my basket until I actually own the physical vehicle even though I have the VIN! There's nowhere to enter the VIN on-line. Really annoying as I'll still have to wait the 2-8 wks to get the hitch installed. I will refuse to pay any more than the £1090 as it clearly states installation included. The only good news is that it includes the actual tow ball - I've seen others advertised without.

It’s not a bad price for a decent tow bar fitted. Agree I won’t pay more than £1,090 as it does say includes fitting. Would like to see what the bumper looks like when the tow hitch isn’t on. 3 is really neat

I read somewhere someone had ordered it and they sent a software update to the car. My M3 has the tow bar and it certainly has extra options, mainly around disabling parking sensors but I think it also does more regarding regen etc with potentially the extra weight/momentum to control (although I could have dreamt that). Either way, I recon it’s worth paying more for the Tesla one.

I'm picking up my MY on Tuesday but the Tesla Shop won't let me place the hitch in my basket until I actually own the physical vehicle even though I have the VIN! There's nowhere to enter the VIN on-line. Really annoying as I'll still have to wait the 2-8 wks to get the hitch installed.

This probably avoids the issue of a late VIN change where the accessory, charge connector etc are then assigned to the wrong vehicle/account.

We had a day of collection VIN change and we have lost all sight of our pre vehicle collection purchases. I just hope that we do not have to claim on our TWC warranty. It will be linked to someone elses account. I don't fancy trying to convince Tesla of our TWC ownership - I cannot even remember our originally assigned VIN. Why they couldn't have moved these across with the new VIN assignment, or even more appropriate, the account and not the car...

Reactions: hairysteve
Beware there may be some teething problems at the moment with service centres (although might just be the Reading SC) receiving/ordering the wrong bits for the tow bar: this is from the UK Model Y Facebook group.
For those of you that pucharsed a towbar…beware. I’ve just had mine “fitted” at the Reading service Centre. After 4h of waiting, I’ve been told that all service centres have purchased the wrong fitting for model Y’s and they had to disassemble it all, remove the towbar mount, put crash bar back on, bumper and lights. Not a simple job apparently! Looks like it will be another visit to SC to get the right part at some point! ... They took whole car apart, installed the frame to then find out the end bit won’t work! 😬 they said they’re been a dozen of instances today of the same issue happening across other SC’s
Sound like someone at Tesla getting Model 3/Y components mixed up.

Beware there may be some teething problems at the moment with service centres (although might just be the Reading SC) receiving/ordering the wrong bits for the tow bar: this is from the UK Model Y Facebook group.

Sound like someone at Tesla getting Model 3/Y components mixed up.
Poor product management by Tesla. Life would if been easier if the tow bar was a standard fitting and you purchase the bespoke towball and electronics. After all the MY bumpers have a cutout to access the towing area. Lessons learnt.