Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivered with small damage on steering wheel rubber center piece.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Discovered tiny, annoying damage on the center right side of my brand new Model Y steering wheel. Vehicle has less than 100 miles and damage was noted by the service center. The car will go back next week to fix some trim fitment issues under warranty. I asked the tech if the center rubber piece of steering wheel can be replaced where the damage is. She said the entire console would need replacement. It's minor damage but can't keep my eyes of it. Does anyone have experience with damage on the rubber center of steering wheel? Curious how easy a steering wheel console replacement would be. Also,I don't want them to cause further damage or issues down the road. It would be awesome if just the center rubber piece can be swapped out with out replacing the entire console. Thanks in advance!
IMG_5770.JPG

Hello all,

Discovered tiny, annoying damage on the center right side of my brand new Model Y steering wheel. Vehicle has less than 100 miles and damage was noted by the service center. The car will go back next week to fix some trim fitment issues under warranty. I asked the tech if the center rubber piece of steering wheel can be replaced where the damage is. She said the entire console would need replacement. It's minor damage but can't keep my eyes of it. Does anyone have experience with damage on the rubber center of steering wheel? Curious how easy a steering wheel console replacement would be. Also,I don't want them to cause further damage or issues down the road. It would be awesome if just the center rubber piece can be swapped out with out replacing the entire console. Thanks in advance!
View attachment 662501

They should only need to replace the wheel itself.

Tim

They should only need to replace the wheel itself.

Tim
Thanks Tim! UPDATE: I received a Parts ordered email from Tesla service for M3Y-HEAT SW ASSY, PUR Part # 1490214-00-B. After review, the damaged part is actually part of the front airbag not the steering wheel. Looks like they would have to swap out the airbag. I hope I'm wrong. Ive attached the Air bag diagram displaying the correct part. The damage is at the upper right the next to the steering wheel. I shared my findings with Tesla Service. Yikes!

Attachments

• IMG_5778.JPG
    IMG_5778.JPG
    515.8 KB · Views: 60
Thanks Tim! UPDATE: I received a Parts ordered email from Tesla service for M3Y-HEAT SW ASSY, PUR Part # 1490214-00-B. After review, the damaged part is actually part of the front airbag not the steering wheel. Looks like they would have to swap out the airbag. I hope I'm wrong. Ive attached the Air bag diagram displaying the correct part. The damage is at the upper right the next to the steering wheel. I shared my findings with Tesla Service. Yikes!

Even better! Will be "better than new" before you know it.

Tim

Just thought I'd dig this up.. I'm guessing you've got this sorted now?

The airbag is a separate component to the wheel, and is removed very easily as it just clips in:

(Model 3, but the Y wheel is identical).

Would take Tesla no time at all to replace it.