Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery Cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that Tesla seems to be having huge problems with quality control on the Model Y.

I was supposed to get delivery (home drop-off) yesterday, June 17th, 2020. They called saying that as they were driving to my house that they noticed the software installed did not match the vehicle (I ordered a Performance without the "performance upgrade"). They seemed to be confused as they at first said I was supposed to be getting a "Long Range AWD" but I corrected them and explained that I actually had paid for the Performance version. My guess is that the software that was installed was for a Performance with the "performance upgrade" and not just for the plain Performance. Anyway, they said they would fix the software and delivery the car to me this morning (June 18th, 2020). I told them yesterday that since they were fixing the software please check all the other items I have been reading about (and watching YouTube videos on) concerning the different problems people have been finding.

This morning I got a call from the Tesla service center (Superior, Colorado...outside Denver) and they told me that they had found so many problems that the car could not be delivered to me! I never even got to see it! So, they said they would be putting me in to get a new car as soon as they could find one that met my order specifications. After I got off the phone I immediately emailed my insurance company to cancel the new policy.

As a very happy Model 3 (LR AWD) owner (no problems, ever) I was looking forward to my new Model Y but I am definitely thinking that I may have made a mistake by ordering my Model Y too soon. I waited until late 2019 to get my Model 3 and think that was a wise move as it gave Tesla time to work out all the kinks in their production line. I am not desperate to get delivery of the Model Y (I won't really need it until this fall) and so I figure the longer it takes for Tesla to find me a new vehicle it is likely to be for the better.

I can confirm that Tesla seems to be having huge problems with quality control on the Model Y.

I was supposed to get delivery (home drop-off) yesterday, June 17th, 2020. They called saying that as they were driving to my house that they noticed the software installed did not match the vehicle (I ordered a Performance without the "performance upgrade"). They seemed to be confused as they at first said I was supposed to be getting a "Long Range AWD" but I corrected them and explained that I actually had paid for the Performance version. My guess is that the software that was installed was for a Performance with the "performance upgrade" and not just for the plain Performance. Anyway, they said they would fix the software and delivery the car to me this morning (June 18th, 2020). I told them yesterday that since they were fixing the software please check all the other items I have been reading about (and watching YouTube videos on) concerning the different problems people have been finding.

This morning I got a call from the Tesla service center (Superior, Colorado...outside Denver) and they told me that they had found so many problems that the car could not be delivered to me! I never even got to see it! So, they said they would be putting me in to get a new car as soon as they could find one that met my order specifications. After I got off the phone I immediately emailed my insurance company to cancel the new policy.

As a very happy Model 3 (LR AWD) owner (no problems, ever) I was looking forward to my new Model Y but I am definitely thinking that I may have made a mistake by ordering my Model Y too soon. I waited until late 2019 to get my Model 3 and think that was a wise move as it gave Tesla time to work out all the kinks in their production line. I am not desperate to get delivery of the Model Y (I won't really need it until this fall) and so I figure the longer it takes for Tesla to find me a new vehicle it is likely to be for the better.

I am receiving a MY from Superior, CO as well (presumably later this month? LOL). Glad to see they have a reasonable standard before delivering the vehicle!