Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery Date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just released my hold over the weekend, it shows me estimated delivery in December. I know the Ioniq 5 and EV6 come out around that time frame, so I guess it'll give me time to consider both of those if I want to change.

Ordered Y LR midnight silver white interior 5 seat on April 24. Had dates starting end of June, then slipped daily through July, now slipping through August. Currently Aug. 9-20. SA swears we should get VIN next week. I don’t believe it. We are about 14 weeks from order date and nothing. What a way to run a car company.
I can relate. Ordered my April 27. Still no VIN, they have no idea why its taking so long. Their customer service sucks

I ordered my Model Y in early May. My neighbor ordered his Model Y two days before my order. My neighbors Model Y (same color and config as mine) was delivered last week. My EDD has bounced around but is now showing the month of October. Still Waiting

My point is Tesla has no control over the chip shortage. Saying, "what a way to run a car company" implies the delay is Tesla's fault. Now, everyone will get their car. If you are not prepared to wait, but one from stock or buy a used Tesla. You could try your luck with legacy automakers, but I understand they are also impacted by the microchip shortage. Try to be a little more understanding. Every order will ultimately be filled. Sure it is frustrating, but if I was unable to wait, I would not have ordered a Tesla.

I would assume most people going in didn't realize Tesla was unable to fill a delivery schedule. I am totally on board with the fact that Tesla has no control over supply constraints. They do have control over when and to who the cars are delivered to. When I was at plus 70 days and someone in my city ordered my EXACT build 6 weeks after me, and gets it in under 30 days? That is on Tesla, I would be more forgiving if one of those kids that hang out at the Tesla showrooms would call me and explain why!! That is NOT "the way to run a company". Stop giving Tesla a pass! They need to stand up and treat their customers like they want them back.

Reactions: RichAuntie444
Wondering if there is any truth behind delays in a lease vs. buy? I would not be surprised if Tesla were pushing out the cash purchases first and delaying the lease orders. I opted for the lease and have been waiting 16 weeks and counting...

I put in my LR Y order in July and was looking at taking delivery by the end of October... delivery date changed to January last week, and now no delivery date is available. I know most of these posts say to be patient, and that we have a chip shortage, but other car manufactures have about a 4-5 week wait for their cars which also go through the quality control..

FYI: I called Tesla to ask them whether changing my configuration would speed up delivery, and they said no. They also said my car will be built in California not Texas (I have November delivery). So apparently the Texas factory is far from being ready to produce vehicles.

FYI: I called Tesla to ask them whether changing my configuration would speed up delivery, and they said no. They also said my car will be built in California not Texas (I have November delivery). So apparently the Texas factory is far from being ready to produce vehicles.
The fact that YOUR car is not being built in TX leads you to the conclusion that TX is nowhere near ready to build ANY vehicles?

On the contrary, the Austin Gigafactory is already producing test vehicles. Limited production of publicly available MY vehicles is due to start in October. Given your location on the west coast you will probably be getting a Fremont MY no matter when regular production starts in Austin. My guess is it will be east coast deliveries from Austin and west coast deliveries from Fremont for some time to come until Austin is up to full capacity in late 2022(?).

Tesla is far from mastering auto manufacturing, supply chain, QC, or customer service. The fact remains that we (me and you) are responsible for placing that order. So, until we take delivery we "own" our mindset. Those into instant gratification won't do well. If you believe good things are worth wait for, the stars will align someday, and that's the end of story. It all depends on you!

On the contrary, the Austin Gigafactory is already producing test vehicles. Limited production of publicly available MY vehicles is due to start in October. Given your location on the west coast you will probably be getting a Fremont MY no matter when regular production starts in Austin. My guess is it will be east coast deliveries from Austin and west coast deliveries from Fremont for some time to come until Austin is up to full capacity in late 2022(?).
I'm in South Carolina (moved here recently). Updated my location now. So I was expecting a Texas built model Y.

Here's an example of how wacky production is at Tesla. Friend in Houston ordered Model Y on Aug 28th. His delivery date September 12-30 (approx. a month). I live in the Bay Area and ordered mine May 15 and delivery date is September 3-22. (been waiting 4 months) How is this possible? New TX giga factory?

Here's an example of how wacky production is at Tesla. Friend in Houston ordered Model Y on Aug 28th. His delivery date September 12-30 (approx. a month). I live in the Bay Area and ordered mine May 15 and delivery date is September 3-22. (been waiting 4 months) How is this possible? New TX giga factory?
I can relate. I saw one individual somewhere on this site that place his order a month after I did, we got same exact spec, yet he already got his VIN and DD while mine is nowhere in sight. He most likely got a MYP and/or his SA was able to match his config to a MY from the inventory.
MY from Texas is most likely not starting till Oct, they’re only making a few preproduction vehicles for now. Full scale productions is probably closer to the end of the year or early next year.