Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery - Dedham Massachusetts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my Model Y a couple of days ago. The delivery process was an absolute nightmare.

First of all, I love the car. This is our second Tesla, and I am a big fan. I am also an investor.

Problems at delivery:
- last minute call from Tesla the evening before delivery, telling me that I need to reapply for financing because my previous authorization had expired. I had to scramble to enter all my information again, unfreeze credit at all 3 bureaus, accept the offer, etc.

- Vehicle was not ready when I arrived at my appointment time.

- Numerous fit and finish problems that need rectification. I consider these to be minor issues, that will be remediated fully eventually, but I am really unhappy that Tesla has put me in the position of being responsible for uncovering the issues, scheduling and taking time out of my work day to bring the vehicle in for repair. If these issues are going to occur, then the remediation should be handled in such a way that is transparent to the customer, not dependent upon us.
> hazy paint
> scratched and chipped paint
> black fingerprints on visors and headliner trim
> B Piller trim falling off and not securely installed
> front speakers on both doors, completely fallen off
> door gasket not secured in place
> driver window misaligned and not closing properly
> various gaskets around windows, trunk, windshield not correctly aligned/installed
> plastic covers in front truck not correctly secured/installed
> exterior trim around one window not correctly aligned
> charger door not correctly aligned

- Wheel covers were not provided. I was told they ran out of parts, and the wheel covers would be shipped to me directly at some point, although nobody could confirm anything to me. Other Model Y vehicles on the lot being delivered at the same time appeared to have their wheel covers.

- Asked to confirm that the tow hitch was installed at delivery. The plastic cover was in place, and I wanted to visually confirm the tow hitch was installed. The delivery associate was unable to pry off the plastic cover, so he escalated to another person for advice. Came back and told me that the tow hitch was not installed at the factory, tow hitch was not available, could not say when it would be available. This made me really upset, as nobody ever communicated anything about this to me before, and I was being put in the position of paying for an option that was never delivered. Long story short, after I took the vehicle home and decided to pry the cover off myself, I discovered in fact the tow hitch was present and perfectly installed. Really unimpressed with Tesla about that one.

So, key takeaways for me--really great car, would not trade it for another--miserable delivery and customer service experience. The ironic thing is that Tesla's approach to getting cars out the door to boost Q2 delivery numbers is both terrible for me as a customer and great for me as an investor. That logic cannot be sustained long term. Tesla needs to to align investor interests with customer satisfaction, or I fear the company will be disadvantaged as more BEV alternatives start to crowd the market.

That’s Tesla for you. I highly doubt all of your issues will be rectified by service. Once you accept delivery and they have your money, they completely stop caring about you as a customer.

If it were me, I would have rejected delivery and waited for a new VIN. Needless to say, I went through this exact situation on my first Tesla and will never do it again.

ETA: also picked mine up at Dedham

I don't know, it seems like Tesla has been rectifying almost everyone list of issue judging by posts we see around here. I think there is hope for getting everything fixed after delivery. I still would not recommend accepting delivery if there is anything you feel uneasy about when inspecting the vehicle though.

My sound system seems to be fine. I also checked for watertightness, based on other posts about that problem. No issue there for me.

To be fair, I think the car is great. I have no complaints about the functional mechanics of the car--it runs and works perfectly.

The issues I described are all related to fit and finish--gaskets peeling off, trim not aligned, etc. They are all fixable, and will be fixed when I am done with it. I was able to make an appointed with SC immediately within the 7 day window, so I will have the opportunity to return if I am not satisfied with their approach.

My main complaint is that I should not have to do this. My time is valuable, and it is unreadable for Tesla to shift their responsibilities to me as the consumer. Thats going to hurt the company if they dont make some changes.

Reactions: rxlawdude
A friend of mine picked his MY up in Dedham a couple weeks ago and didn't have any issues. He found a scratch in one of the windows after he got it home, but mobile service fixed it.

I'll be picking mine up in Dedham, too, but am still waiting on a VIN. Hopefully you're experience was the exception and not the norm. It's still unfortunate what you've had to deal with.

Reactions: rxlawdude
That’s Tesla for you. I highly doubt all of your issues will be rectified by service. Once you accept delivery and they have your money, they completely stop caring about you as a customer.
You know, off the charts BS like this is par for the course for these malcontents. Ignore them, all they do is whine and cast things in the most negative light they can.

I picked up my Model 3 LR AWD at Dedham Saturday. They were very busy but had no issues registering my car and taking my trade in Model 3 2018 LR RWD. Tesla Dedham Definitely has always been great for me. You bought an early Model Y. Based on recent posts about this car did you expect anything different?

You know, off the charts BS like this is par for the course for these malcontents. Ignore them, all they do is whine and cast things in the most negative light they can.
Ignore these Tesla employees who refuse to believe the company doesn't have a history of abysmal QC, service, and sticking it to their customer base after delivery is finalized.

• Funny
Reactions: Levelheadsteve
I'm not a Tesla employee, so your statement is false. (What else is new from this guy?)

Do you and reeler tag team with your incessant Tesla complaints?
You just here to pump the stock then?

Because I don’t see any reason to excuse lack of QC and terrible treatment of paying customers.

Apparently you do and it must be for your own financial gain.

Even long-time Tesla YouTube shills are calling out MY QC issues.

You just here to pump the stock then?

Because I don’t see any reason to excuse lack of QC and terrible treatment of paying customers.

Apparently you do and it must be for your own financial gain.

Even long-time Tesla YouTube shills are calling out MY QC issues.
WTF man? Every one knows the Y has issues. Nobody is excusing this. Read the ****ing post.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide