Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery E-Mails Incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in California and ordered performance. I picked white interior..... Should I switch to black???

only if you can’t wait for the white that you want. Don’t do something impulsively that you could regret if the color is important to you in the long term.

If you are someone who has to be the first on the block with something new, sounds like it’s black interior first out.

But I thought everyone on here said they would be back ordered for a year?? Lol
I ordered my 3 about a year after the reveal date (supposedly 3-400k preorders) and ended up getting a VIN 103xxx in October of 2018. I'm sure many are waiting for less expensive variants, global orders, or have other factors to consider. We still want to see one in the store, but I'm sure I won't be waiting more than a month if we end up looking to buy in Q4 of this year.

So the question is, Is it harder to switch to white or to non-performance? Right? Will they do MY AWD LR (non-performance) with black interior before Performance White? So now we need to see if a black interior non-performance reports next OR is it a white interior performance..... I'm non-performance black interior, so I know what I'm rooting for... Sorry... :)
Well- I guess we got our answer last night with the reports that non-performance black interiors just got notices before the performance white interiors. Alas, not my MY AWD LR black interior yet. I ordered about a week before the analyst call in Jan.

Now my gut was saying that these cars would come out way early, so I bought the wall connector early (haven't installed it yet; and yeah, I know I could just do a 240v connection and buy another mobile charger if I wanted to leave one in the car- but hey, when in Rome)... which turned out to be a good idea. The 18' cable wall connectors are sold out. SO if you are now excited to see these cars coming early- and you wanted a Wall Connector, I would most likely recommend you get 8.5' now. Just a thought.
2020-02-26_7-35-31.jpg

going to have to look into this white seats' thing. though i ordered black i feel a strong undertow sweeping me along into the white waves. will pass along anything discovered. i'm keeping the performance option. always had performance, even since the first car - a ported polished and balanced racing sprite.

My only regret in my 6 month old model 3 is not getting white seats. I did order them with my wife's Blue Y. IMHO if you want them get them.

Got mine (south of Houston) at 12:35 this AM. Still waiting for 10K prior deliveries.
My Model 3 is in the 7k VIN range and after 2 years of ownership the only thing I've had to do is add windshield wiper fluid. It's had no issues at all. This is not Tesla's first rodeo. They've learned a lot about production in those two years. Plus the Model Y has 75% of the same parts as the Model 3 so I have no qualms about purchasing an early build. I understand that everyone has their own risk tolerance. But in this case I think the fear is unwarranted.

Reactions: Fiddler
It looks like they did not get too many orders for the Y. Someone who ordered the 7-seat was offered to swap to a 5-seat to get it sooner..

There is a good chance that the 7-seat will be ahead of the schedule also, maybe late half of the year.

It looks like they did not get too many orders for the Y. Someone who ordered the 7-seat was offered to swap to a 5-seat to get it sooner..

There is a good chance that the 7-seat will be ahead of the schedule also, maybe late half of the year.
i have a theory about that. i think up until now, tesla's were for early adopters and tech geeks. the 3 broke through into mass appeal and after a bunch of them have been around a while now, i think the kind of folks who are going to buy the y are mostly NOT the type who will put down $2500 sight unseen. i have been at the store near me a few times now, and in almost every case (one guy was obviously a vagrant who found a comfy place to sit) the people looking at it were around my age (64) and staring at the screen and simple interior like it's something out of a science fiction movie.

the cybertruck, on the other hand, is obviously another niche vehicle and wildly different from anything else so there are lots of pre-orders. besides which the pickup truck market in the US is HUGE.