Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery E-Mails Incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have 2 theories on why they are launching so fast. First, last year's 1st quarter numbers didn't make the Stock Market happy... By getting these cars bought by end of March- they are juicing their 2020 Q1 numbers. My 2nd theory is that many of the MY buyers aren't like previous Tesla buyers- they are traditional ICE buyers who believe this could be the one to have them switch- but they want to see proof. Now I'm one of those- except I convinced myself to make the leap of faith since it has a lot of components from M3- but I can tell you all my friends are like, "Asps, very dangerous- you go first Indy..." So I think this model, more than any other previously, needs to be in the hands of people and in showrooms to make the big impression I think it will have. At least, that's my theory.

Reactions: Aarons12
i have a theory about that. i think up until now, tesla's were for early adopters and tech geeks. the 3 broke through into mass appeal and after a bunch of them have been around a while now, i think the kind of folks who are going to buy the y are mostly NOT the type who will put down $2500 sight unseen. i have been at the store near me a few times now, and in almost every case (one guy was obviously a vagrant who found a comfy place to sit) the people looking at it were around my age (64) and staring at the screen and simple interior like it's something out of a science fiction movie.

the cybertruck, on the other hand, is obviously another niche vehicle and wildly different from anything else so there are lots of pre-orders. besides which the pickup truck market in the US is HUGE.

Ha- I guess we were thinking the same thing and typing it at the same time... :)

Reactions: Aarons12
So I have 2 theories on why they are launching so fast. First, last year's 1st quarter numbers didn't make the Stock Market happy... By getting these cars bought by end of March- they are juicing their 2020 Q1 numbers. My 2nd theory is that many of the MY buyers aren't like previous Tesla buyers- they are traditional ICE buyers who believe this could be the one to have them switch- but they want to see proof. Now I'm one of those- except I convinced myself to make the leap of faith since it has a lot of components from M3- but I can tell you all my friends are like, "Asps, very dangerous- you go first Indy..." So I think this model, more than any other previously, needs to be in the hands of people and in showrooms to make the big impression I think it will have. At least, that's my theory.
All that said, they are getting better at production, projection and all the intricacies of global auto production. This was also a make/break moment as the Y had the risk of stalling 3 orders. This is why it was such a low-key launch (compared to 3 or CT). Pardon the ICE metaphor but they are now firing on all cylinders. The timing is also fortuitous as this Coronavirus drag is substantial. I live in CA, which is a giant thought bubble and gives a skewed perception. However, I travel for business and the Tesla fever is really building in the Midwest (clearly many pockets existed but it is more pervasive).

I agree on your 2nd theory. Most people want to see proof and physically sit in it and take if for a test drive first. I am one of those people. I believe that markets that don't have a convenient Tesla Store or even a Service center (like my area) will still have very minimal amount of Tesla's bought. Most people aren't going to drive 4 hrs each way to test drive one and/or risk having to drive hours to a service center and deal with all of the supposedly poor service people hear about.

It is an extreme rarity to see Teslas around my area (Central NY). I have seen a few Model 3s, maybe one Model S and no Model X's. However, if they were to open a Store in my area I think they would sell a lot of these...including 1 to me.

I agree on your 2nd theory. Most people want to see proof and physically sit in it and take if for a test drive first. I am one of those people. I believe that markets that don't have a convenient Tesla Store or even a Service center (like my area) will still have very minimal amount of Tesla's bought. Most people aren't going to drive 4 hrs each way to test drive one and/or risk having to drive hours to a service center and deal with all of the supposedly poor service people hear about.

It is an extreme rarity to see Teslas around my area (Central NY). I have seen a few Model 3s, maybe one Model S and no Model X's. However, if they were to open a Store in my area I think they would sell a lot of these...including 1 to me.

Hi cusetownusa- just FYI, as a fellow NYer but in the Hudson Valley (and therefore close to Mt Kisco- relatively) keep in mind there are laws in NY that don't allow more Tesla stores. I'm not certain, but I believe the NY legislature only gave Tesla a handful of store locations as a "test" for a non-dealership model. I believe Albany is reviewing that right now to allow a few more "test stores" and I think Syracuse is one of the areas. You should check out the NY Tesla Owner's Club (Tesla Owners Club New York State - Home )- I think they have some articles on this...

However they also have a lot of "Meet the Car" rallies where they encourage people without Tesla's to see the cars from the actual owners- since there are so few stores.

Just FYI- not evangelizing here... Have a great day Cusetownusa....

• Informative
Reactions: iustin
I wonder if Tesla is just sending out emails to see who has the funds and resources to receive delivery. I just checked my account info, it doesn't have my home address but my email, mobile and the state I reside (NY). Yet, I got an email last night for delivery. I will temper my expectations until I get a hard date from Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: iustin
I wonder if Tesla is just sending out emails to see who has the funds and resources to receive delivery. I just checked my account info, it doesn't have my home address but my email, mobile and the state I reside (NY). Yet, I got an email last night for delivery. I will temper my expectations until I get a hard date from Tesla.
interesting thought

At any rate, it would be bad business to send a message for delivery confirmation and not be able to deliver. I could see them pushing some deliveries out if folks are unavailable within the 15 day window. However, anyone open to any delivery day should certainly be able to schedule. I think that is why they waited a day between performance and AWD email confirmations to get feedback.

Reactions: Mufasa
At any rate, it would be bad business to send a message for delivery confirmation and not be able to deliver. I could see them pushing some deliveries out if folks are unavailable within the 15 day window. However, anyone open to any delivery day should certainly be able to schedule. I think that is why they waited a day between performance and AWD email confirmations to get feedback.
I certainly hope so.......... crossing my fingers!

Also received Model Y delivery e-mail this morning (at 1:34 am). Surprised because we live in Louisville, KY and not near the coasts or any major city.

Bought a Model 3 LR RWD last year and took delivery in March 2019. Placed reservation for Model Y on June 24, 2019

Specs:
  • Long Range All-Wheel Drive
  • Red Multi-Coat Paint
  • 20’’ Induction Wheels
  • All Black Premium Interior
  • Five Seat Interior
  • Autopilot
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
Basically the next web page after the delivery e-mail allows you to state which days you CANNOT take delivery between March 15 and March 31. Then they say "thanks and we will contact you"

You are then sent back to your reservation page where you can see your car but I could not make any changes. Maybe because we are in "delivery" status?

Still do not know why they would pick us based on where we reserved but perhaps we are legacy owners or they want to get cars in multiple locales to show their presence? Hope that helps. Model Y page 1.JPG Model Y page 2.JPG Model Y page 3.JPG Model Y page 1.JPG Model Y page 2.JPG Model Y page 3.JPG

Reactions: vinny84
It looks like everyone who has received the email ordered LR AWD, black interior, 5-seat, and Full Self-Driving. These seem to be filled regardless of location or date of reservation. My guess would be that non-FSD orders would be next. There are likely many more of them, so those may go in order of reservation date.

It looks like everyone who has received the email ordered LR AWD, black interior, 5-seat, and Full Self-Driving. These seem to be filled regardless of location or date of reservation. My guess would be that non-FSD orders would be next. There are likely many more of them, so those may go in order of reservation date.

White interior orders could be next...

Reactions: preilly44
Hi cusetownusa- just FYI, as a fellow NYer but in the Hudson Valley (and therefore close to Mt Kisco- relatively) keep in mind there are laws in NY that don't allow more Tesla stores. I'm not certain, but I believe the NY legislature only gave Tesla a handful of store locations as a "test" for a non-dealership model. I believe Albany is reviewing that right now to allow a few more "test stores" and I think Syracuse is one of the areas. You should check out the NY Tesla Owner's Club (Tesla Owners Club New York State - Home )- I think they have some articles on this...

However they also have a lot of "Meet the Car" rallies where they encourage people without Tesla's to see the cars from the actual owners- since there are so few stores.

Just FYI- not evangelizing here... Have a great day Cusetownusa....

Thanks...yes I am aware of this issue with the State. Unfortunately for Tesla this hurts sales all across upstate NY. The irony is that the State is always promoting renewable energy, etc, but won't allow the largest EV car maker to open up Stores across NY.