Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery E-Mails Incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says I need to provide proof of insurance to complete delivery... but not sure where to get a copy of my VIN number? Anyone else had success in receiving the VIN?

Thanks!
I just uploaded a copy of my current insurance, no vin for the new Y. I believe, at least if you're in California, you have some leeway with the insurance.

Actually, this is what Tesla says:
Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model Y.

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and mgraff
I just uploaded a copy of my current insurance, no vin for the new Y. I believe, at least if you're in California, you have some leeway with the insurance.

Proof of insurance is required to take delivery, and must be valid for the next 60-90 days. If you're registering in these 12 states, insurance can be provided for an existing car. In all other states, insurance must be provided for the Model Y.

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington

I'm in Georgia unfortunately :(

• Informative
Reactions: Aarons12

• Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington
This makes no sense. My agent told me that my policy covers a new car with the same coverage as you existing cars automatically for 30 days even without the VIN registered. He said most insurance companies do this as a courtesy. I am in Florida but Florida is not on the list?

I'm on the same boat. In NYC, a VIN is required to purchase auto insurance. As long as I show proof of insurance on the day of delivery, I don't see why it's required now.

Just received an email from Tesla advisor confirming contract, delivery date, etc. They're formalizing my delivery date and will provide VIN once it's determined which will give time for me to do the insurance.

Reactions: cablue and Aarons12
This makes no sense. My agent told me that my policy covers a new car with the same coverage as you existing cars automatically for 30 days even without the VIN registered. He said most insurance companies do this as a courtesy. I am in Florida but Florida is not on the list?
your agent is correct but that doesn't help with motor vehicles. in order for tesla to issue plates for the vehicle they need proof of insurance. having said that, no there is no sense to them asking for insurance until they give you a vin

Just received an email from Tesla advisor confirming contract, delivery date, etc. They're formalizing my delivery date and will provide VIN once it's determined which will give time for me to do the insurance.
Mind posting your general location? I'm curious if they are going to focus on West coast before east coast or do them all at the same time. Did you opt for all possible March delivery dates or try to narrow it to next week? I've uploaded all my information and got everything ready on my end financing wise. Just waiting to throw my money at them and get my car!

Mind posting your general location? I'm curious if they are going to focus on West coast before east coast or do them all at the same time. Did you opt for all possible March delivery dates or try to narrow it to next week? I've uploaded all my information and got everything ready on my end financing wise. Just waiting to throw my money at them and get my car!
Check this spreadsheet to see where people are located who have received the Delivery Confirmation e-mail:
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker

Check this spreadsheet to see where people are located who have received the Delivery Confirmation e-mail:
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker
I already did (thought about adding that to my post). TS4491 does not show up. Although, you can put in anything for the spreadsheet and they may be under a different name. But, I did look at post history and found what I was looking for. In line with my location on the east coast, just further south :D.

Even further, I checked for their state in the sheet and no one from that state has reported Delivery Email Confirmation.

Edit #2: Lol, didn't see that below usernames, it states location as well. Wow, i've been pouring over these forums the last few weeks and just noticed. So many people ask about other users location, I guess I never caught that.

Last edited:
I think the priority is going as follows;
- Reservation Holders on Day 1
- Performance models
- everyone else

No, Day 1 reservation definitely does not get you ahead of having ordered performance.

I'm a day 1 reservation (within about 10 minutes of the website being available) for an LR AWD with FSD and I have no emails, calls, or ability to enter extra data on the website. I think an early reservation has no benefit other than (hopefully) having grandfathered prices.

Reactions: Wennfred