Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Delivery - My Full List of Build Issues - How Serious Are These?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who cares what sandy Munro thinks. He’s not a sage. Plus he’s probably on the Tesla payroll in some way as he was far too saccharine toward a car which is clearly garbage.
A lot of people care about what Sandy Monroe thinks, he is well respected in the automotive industry and for good reason.

Sandy approached his appraisals from and engineering and manufacturing point of view, he only did a cursory once over of cosmetic issues.. and to that end, he did fault Tesla for inexcusable paint flaws. Also keep in mind, he only had one MY to work with and just like we see on TMC some are delivered with acceptable panel gaps, etc.. which seemed to be the case for the car they dismantled.

Reactions: pete8314
We picked up our Model Y a couple of days ago. There's a few issues, including a small dent in the tailgate (which will very likely require replacement), but generally the build was good, and since we collected it from Denver, the 800ml trip home was a good shakeout test. The thing that really annoys me is all the grubby marks inside more or less every car we looked in. It's just sloppy and unnecessary. I assume (but don't know) the majority of these occur during transport, as a lot seem to be around the headliner near the drivers door. The headliner is a PITA to clean, so it would make sense for Tesla to put some wrap there. I know back in the day when we took delivery of a Q5 there was protective wrap on virtually every touch-surface.

^ Just curious.. why would the transport guys touch the headliner?
My car is 3-yrs old and I don't recall touching the headliner even once.
It's a theory based on what I saw once when a bunch of Model 3's were being unloaded, so, admittedly, a very small sample set. But the guys unloading cars had filthy hands from adjusting the transporter, unchaining etc. and at least twice I saw they were reaching for the (non-existent on Tesla's) grab handle. Tesla's are clean, but car transporters are not, and I just think the guys unloading were just used to 'normal' cars, with grab handles, and protective film everywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx
Because of COVID assemblers are wearing masks and gloves.
When people work with their hands they’re aware of debris and grime.
With plastic glove they are just a paint brush loaded with drek. It gets smeared over everything handled for an entire shift.
Anything light colored and especially cloth acts as a towel.

I would reject the car outright. I own a model S. I first put my $1000 down on a new model 3 and just before delivery I went to the dealer with my doubts about build quality from what I was hearing. He suggested any new model year would have issues and if I were a perfectionist I should consider a model S...the flagship car. Glad I took his advice. For the amount of money we paid for these 'luxury' cars I expect perfection in every way. These are not bottom of the line cars. Tesla absolutely MUST get QC together, and it shouldn't be that difficult.

Elon I'm within commuting distance of Freemont and would gladly disrupt my life to head a QC department.

Elon I believe in your vision. Most dot commies take the money and build McMansions and larger yachts and hoard their good fortune. You seem to have a vision for a better world and are working toward that end instead of sitting around on your yacht laughing at the plebeians. Something as simple as QC could dis-rail your vision. Don't let that happen!!

Reactions: Darren Donovan
But it's just a numbers game, hitting the Q2 numbers is more important than absolute customer satisfaction. That sounds bad, and, of course, in many ways it is. Tesla are going to have a significant cost for fixing all the Due Bills, but that's an acceptable risk for the company if it means hitting the quarterly target, and all the benefits that brings (greater capitalization, potential to be in the S&P500 index etc). Tesla is the only car company that does this, because they're the only car company that own the supply chain, and don't have inventory sitting on lots.

Legacy auto benefits, a lot, from the 'dealer buffer', where anything is fixed before it makes it to the car lot. Tesla has to improve, as it's always cheaper to fix it when it happens than after the event, but that's just not the mission priority right now. It kinda sucks, but I kinda get it too.

• Helpful
Reactions: raggedy
Where is the leak? how bad and how long until you noticed it? i'm awaiting my MVPA for a MY and am getting very nervous
Dolfan, my leak was quite bad (imagine a waterfall!) and was due to significant misalignment of the rear hatch, but it seems as though that type of misalignment is occurring less and less with the vehicles coming off the line now (mine was probably manufactured the day after the shutdown was lifted, LOL). I wouldn't be nervous about an issue like mine (which, by the way, Tesla fixed).

OMG. That car should have never been accepted. It's terrible that Tesla let that one go.

I took a friend of mine to go pick up his new Model YP at the Carlsbad dealership. His was near perfect. The only issue was the gaps on the hatchback. They fixed it before he drove it off the lot. He loves his, and has zero defects to report.

Dolfan, my leak was quite bad (imagine a waterfall!) and was due to significant misalignment of the rear hatch, but it seems as though that type of misalignment is occurring less and less with the vehicles coming off the line now (mine was probably manufactured the day after the shutdown was lifted, LOL). I wouldn't be nervous about an issue like mine (which, by the way, Tesla fixed).

I'm sorry to hear but seems like you've got the right attitude. I just got my VIN and am wondering now how long it will take for my first (and hopefully only) scheduled delivery

They had my Y for about 8 days, the "paint" issues were 'touched up'
I wouldn't accept a touch up. I told them I wouldn't take anything less than touch up or return. They approved body shop repair, so I didn't return it.

I dropped mines off June 15th and is still at the body shop. It's been nearly 4 weeks hope to pickup on Friday.

Model Y PUP Pearl White - Issues

• Informative
Reactions: Rg3500