Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y delivery question for folks who pre-ordered a 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aarons12

Enjoying my Pearl White LR AWD with inductions
Jan 24, 2020
long island, NY
I have been reading lots of stuff about how long the wait will (or won't) be for the Y based on lots of different ways of looking at it. But i have not seen this info, so here goes...

For those who pre-ordered and waited for the model 3, once deliveries officially began, did Tesla then release more info on wait times?

I have some time (lease expires in June and can drive my other car for a few weeks or months) but if it's really going to be 18 months, i might want to lease another car and move to a tesla or possible other available choice in 2 years.

thoughts please?

I was also constrained by the end of a lease. No, Tesla did not give more info, but this forum was super useful getting a sense of how batches of deliveries were accelerating and how different configs were affecting deliveries or not.
Model 3 was big production hell, thou. Model Y will go through it’s own version of hell, hopefully smaller or different, but the ramp up is expected to be apparently less choppy, partly because of better buffers set on expectations. Tesla and shareholders seem to be appreciating underpromise right now.

Reactions: Aarons12
Oh, and I did have to extend the lease by 2 months, which ended up being 20d more than I needed to (cut it close)
thanks. my 'dirty little secret' is that i have a 1994 BMW 840 in the garage that runs like a dream. its insured as a classic but no mileage limit and i only work a mile and a half from home in any case. i just like digging up as much info as possible. and i am hoping for the 'under-promising/over-delivering scenario as well.
stein bmw.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
thanks. my 'dirty little secret' is that i have a 1994 BMW 840 in the garage that runs like a dream. its insured as a classic but no mileage limit and i only work a mile and a half from home in any case. i just like digging up as much info as possible. and i am hoping for the 'under-promising/over-delivering scenario as well.
View attachment 512639
V12? thats an awesome car, my buddy has one!

I waited in line to order my model 3 pre-reveal. Only option was color, wheels and EAP. I was told Tesla builds in batches and I was in the white/19” “bucket”. After the long two year wait, Tesla told me maybe 6-8 week if all goes well.

But one day later I received a call that my model 3 was ready to pick up the next day! I did not believe it until they gave me a VIN. Went to Fremont the next week and my car was under the spotlight in the showroom (not sure they still do that).

The whole process from receiving the VIN to driving out was super smooth and very professional. There were no model 3s to test-drive so that was my first experience with the model 3. It has been the best car I have ever owned. Aarons12, hope yours will be a great experience too!

I have been reading lots of stuff about how long the wait will (or won't) be for the Y based on lots of different ways of looking at it. But i have not seen this info, so here goes...

For those who pre-ordered and waited for the model 3, once deliveries officially began, did Tesla then release more info on wait times?

I have some time (lease expires in June and can drive my other car for a few weeks or months) but if it's really going to be 18 months, i might want to lease another car and move to a tesla or possible other available choice in 2 years.

thoughts please?

I am in almost the exact same boat as you except I think you ordered well before me. I have a feeling that Tesla is currently in production hell given the fact that their website states deliveries start in March, which is less than a few weeks away.

Based off ancillary posts and news about MY reservations. I’d assume they have 55k or so in the queue.

I think that Elon has finally realized that mum is the game as he has consistently overstated and under delivered and that we could see a much quicker ramp up of MY given lessons learned. It appears so far that he’s playing the game this time.

In addition to that the MY frame is coming from one giant new press so complexity and build time has been reduced greatly. I can see them cranking out 1k a week within the first weeks of March if they’ve learned anything from S, X and then 3 production hell. Elon didn’t spell sex correctly, sheesh.

My lease is up in June as well I only reserved shortly after the reservation price drop to $100.

I’d wager that the 55k reservation number is correct given the fact that Tesla has publicized the M3 and CT reservation numbers, but not MY. I’d say hold off until June, we may all be pleasantly surprised

I

The whole process from receiving the VIN to driving out was super smooth and very professional. There were no model 3s to test-drive so that was my first experience with the model 3. It has been the best car I have ever owned. Aarons12, hope yours will be a great experience too!

thanks. i'm just trying to keep myself from going nuts in the meantime. i'm not the most patient person in the world. luckily i will get a little distraction next week or so when my new phone (galaxy s20 ulktra) comes

While a great car, that can start to be one that you really notice in an EV.

(OMG, that antique in front of us, has exhaust that smells awful) ;)
the bmw is a looker and smooth as silk. but it's sat in the garage for the past couple of years because my current daily driver is an e300 4-matic. so it's pretty nice too. i'm afraid it will be the same with the MY. BUT i also have read on here that there can be service and repair delays, so fr the $300 a year it costs me for classic insurance, it's worth keeping around as a spare.

thoughts please?

June seems a bit tight. As we get close to that, consider reaching out to your lease company for a month-to-month option (some do it, some don't).

My experience was:
- I reserved in April 2016, but not on the first day.
- Got an email in late June 2018 and quickly placed the order. Was told it'll be 8-10 weeks.
- Then early in July was told it'll be a week. and took delivery mid-July 2018.

However, there was a special circumstance that Tesla minimized deliveries in June, to extend the US Federal tax credit for an extra quarter, so they'd inventoried a bunch of cars at the end of June and delivered them in July, and ours was in that bunch.

June seems a bit tight. As we get close to that, consider reaching out to your lease company for a month-to-month option (some do it, some don't).

My experience was:
- I reserved in April 2016, but not on the first day.
- Got an email in late June 2018 and quickly placed the order. Was told it'll be 8-10 weeks.
- Then early in July was told it'll be a week. and took delivery mid-July 2018.

However, there was a special circumstance that Tesla minimized deliveries in June, to extend the US Federal tax credit for an extra quarter, so they'd inventoried a bunch of cars at the end of June and delivered them in July, and ours was in that bunch.
thanks. luckily for me i have had a second, classic car for years. this is the one i have now. i could easily 'force' myself to drive it for a month in the summer LOLstein bmw.jpg