Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Deposit to Lock In FSD Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pulled the trigger on a Model Y (fully refundable) reservation. I had intended to wait, seeing no incentive to lend Tesla money for two years. But Elon indicating that FSD pricing will rise May 1 was enough to get me to hand over my fully refundable $2500 ahead of the investor day to reveal the latest FSD tech. I haven't seen any other threads about the benefits of locking in FSD pricing by reserving Model Y ahead of the price increases, so figured I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

Funny that Tesla is still charging the "old" paint prices for Model Y vs the current paint prices ($500 lower) for Model 3.
Just the latest indicator that Model 3 currently has a demand problem.

Funny that Tesla is still charging the "old" paint prices for Model Y vs the current paint prices ($500 lower) for Model 3.
Just the latest indicator that Model 3 currently has a demand problem.

Listing paint at a higher cost allows them to judge demand better. Also, that is the cost in 2+ years when they make the car on a new assembly line versus today's cost on the existing line. Better to start high and lower prices than start too low and lose money.

Welcome to the club. Sure, as a Model 3 line waiter, I waited longer and paid more than if I bought the car today. But I don't regret it at all. And it was the wife who ordered it.

You may win, you may lose. But it is possibly a better bet than the stock market.

I ordered white performance with white interior on day one but my gut is telling me that I will be better off if I postpone the purchase by a few months. After the initial rush I am sure we are going to see some great end of Q “demo” cars.

Since Tesla abandoned the light silver, I was wondering what was your alternate color choice? I'm kind of indecisive in my case.
A primary determinant of color for me is that it hides dirt well, since I don't like to wash my car often.
This narrows the color template to charcoal, and possibly white. Black/Red/Blue are out.
So, I configured the charcoal for the Model Y.
We won't end up with a silver 3 and a charcoal Y though; if I take delivery of the Y it will be because we have decided to sell the 3.
(We have no need for two long range EVs.)

Reactions: Watts_Up
A primary determinant of color for me is that it hides dirt well, since I don't like to wash my car often.
This narrows the color template to charcoal, and possibly white. Black/Red/Blue are out.
So, I configured the charcoal for the Model Y.
We won't end up with a silver 3 and a charcoal Y though; if I take delivery of the Y it will be because we have decided to sell the 3.
(We have no need for two long range EVs.)
What a difference a Tesla Network/FSD webcast can make: maybe now we WILL keep the silver Model 3, and put it in the Tesla Network to see whether it'll pay for our Model Y. No need to think about it until Model Y is more real.

After watching yesterday's autonomy presentation and the self driving video, I just added FSD to my Y order.
I also changed the color from MS to white. I can't wait.
I wish there was a larger color choice. The light silver was removed last year,
and the first gen Model S was available in green and burgundy.

ModelS_burgundy .jpg

I've come to the same conclusion before reading this thread. A deposit on Model Y before the end of Apr19 is a FREE option to purchase the future at current pricing. Nowhere else can you get such a thing.

If Elon doesn't meet his targets and robotaxi aren't a thing, just get your deposit back. If he is successful, take delivery and start making money in the Tesla Network with an XL vehicle which will charge a premium to model 3.

Looking more and more at the Y, I'm wondering if I should lock the price on it instead of taking the 3.
I have a big dog and it looks like the trunk opening will be a pain for this, as well as for buying furniture.
Model Y solves this. I does also solve the bikes transport issue...

However the pricing of AP/FSD is way above for Model Y as far as I can see.
In any case, an order made now can be refunded anytime before delivery, correct?

"FREE" only if you are 100% sure Tesla will survive. I suspect the 2500 deposit will NOT survive a bankruptcy filing.

That is correct. Tesla clearly states that your deposit is not in some kind of fund or trust or anything. It goes into Tesla's books as cash and will not be save from a bankruptcy should it occur.

That said, I don't see bankruptcy happening. If Tesla does not survive on it's own somebody will buy it. Google, Apple, BMW, VW, whatever.

That is correct. Tesla clearly states that your deposit is not in some kind of fund or trust or anything. It goes into Tesla's books as cash and will not be save from a bankruptcy should it occur.

That said, I don't see bankruptcy happening. If Tesla does not survive on it's own somebody will buy it. Google, Apple, BMW, VW, whatever.
Agreed. When anyone brings up BR, I have always said that Apple or Google or ???? would buy it at the right price. It just depends what that price is.

Looking more and more at the Y, I'm wondering if I should lock the price on it instead of taking the 3.
I have a big dog and it looks like the trunk opening will be a pain for this, as well as for buying furniture.
Model Y solves this. I does also solve the bikes transport issue...

However the pricing of AP/FSD is way above for Model Y as far as I can see.
In any case, an order made now can be refunded anytime before delivery, correct?
If you can wait for it, the Model Y would be certainly more practical for you.
I'd like to carry more than one bicycle too. I hope the hatch will be electric.