Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Desired Features and Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. I bought the digital version of the magazine through their app a couple of days ago. Don't bother though- that's the only angle on this render. It's a very short article with repeats of the current rumours.

I like this concept, with it's less steeply sloped rear windshield. Doubtful it won't share the Model 3's front nose though....
I do like the styling of the rear roof line - nicer looking than the X

My thought is that they could copy the Land Rover Discovery Sport 3rd row solution:

DiscoverySport_InteriorEdit_295-159065_680x450.jpg

If there is a 3rd row option, I hope there will be a choice of a 6 seats or 7 seats.

In the case of the Tesla Model X with 7 seats configuration, the space for the legs and feet on the 3rd row is quite limited, so mostly
kids can seat there, while the 6 seats configuration allows putting your legs in the middle, so adults can seat even for a long ride.
The only draw back is that in the case of the 6 seats the middle seats doesn't fold flat unlikely like the 7 seats.

Wow. Why not here Toyota always drops the ball here in the US where people actually want bigger cars. They could have made this a minivan/suv competitor and plug in like the pacifica PHEV

I remember the RAV4 had that rare 3rd option too.

This remind me also about the Mazda 5 (mini)-minivan with six seats and sliding doors.

Mazda5 Minivan Discontinued, No Replacement Planned

Mazda will focus on crossovers instead. The 2015 model year will officially be the last for the Mazda5,
with the company announcing that no replacement is planned for this six-seat minivan that's been sold in the U.S. since 2005

2015-Mazda5-rear-three-quarter-02.jpg

IMG_7045.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
As a mid-sized SUV (as Elon has repeatedly described it since last Fall), the option for a 3rd row makes more sense. While we initially avoided getting our Tiguan with the 3rd row, it has come in handy when family has visited. So as long as Tesla isn't insane and doesn't put FWDs on the Model Y, allowing for roof storage- I think it will be a great vehicle for family road trips.

As a mid-sized SUV (as Elon has repeatedly described it since last Fall), the option for a 3rd row makes more sense.
While we initially avoided getting our Tiguan with the 3rd row, it has come in handy when family has visited.
So as long as Tesla isn't insane and doesn't put FWDs on the Model Y, allowing for roof storage-
I think it will be a great vehicle for family road trips.
Until we can see the slop of the Model Y roof, it is difficult to predict if a 3rd row would be a possibility,
but I noticed that the Tesla Model 3 and the VW Tiguan are both 185" long (or 470 cm)
and the Model 3 passenger compartment is about one foot (30 cm) forward compare to other non EV cars.

Here is a view of the VW Tiguan rear seats, you can notice that the middle row is mounted on a rail and can slide easily.
The third row seems a little tight but for youngest kids this would be fine and nicer than the Model S 3rd row jump seats.
However I think that a 6 seats would be nicer for travelling with taller people seating on the 3rd row..

vi9y5jo1ths2y9eynwdc.jpg

Last edited:
i wish the Y would be longer and slimmer than most cars. 2 seats wide in 3 rows, frunk and trunk. It would be more aerodynamic and safer at side impact. To compensate for the length when parking, it should be steered on all four wheels. And it definitely needs a towing option which makes use of the rear wheel steering.

It would be cool if the trunk hatch could be removed to convert it to a “pickup”. waterproof bed that can be high pressure washed.

Having lived my life in and around Detroit, I have seen the good, bad, and ugly of the auto industry. Being a biologist, I have not worked directly for the auto industry. (Except when going to college.) My Model 3 is the best car experience of my life.
I remember when my biggest concern when buying a car was, will it get me to work and back reliably, can I afford it, and will I pay it off before it becomes a pile of rust. A radio was a luxury item. (My first car's radio was an AM transistor radio on the dash. Listened to the moon landing on that.)
The tear downs of the Model 3 have revealed that Tesla's motor, reduction gear, drive train, control electronics, wiring, cooling, and of course battry are the best in the industry. I assume that these will be nearly the same in the Model Y. The biggest concern is the body, which is overly stiff, doesn't take advantage of the battery case's structural properties, and is the cause of 90% of the car's problems. (Body gaps, cost, assembly) What about safety? A well designed body can be lighter, cheaper, and still have the same safety results and the current Model 3 (tank).
I personally wish I knew what the manufacturing numbers were for the cost of the above mentioned components. I truly believe that a base model Y could be produced and be profitable at under $30K.
Or Tesla could buy Hamtramck Assembly and produce a Model 3.1 Economy?
What do I know about this stuff? Just what I heard from my grandpa who started as a body man at Fisher Body in 1914 and worked in body QC till he retired in '55. (Everyone else in the family were Chrysler people.)

Sounds like you have been listening to Sandy Munro