Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Dimensions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it's of any help, someone in my test ride asked the driver what the gross weight was of the car, and he said that "they haven't compiled/released those specs yet", so that may also apply to the dimensions.

Where did you sit in the car? Did you feel that Y was significant wider, or about the same? Thanks.

If it's of any help, someone in my test ride asked the driver what the gross weight was of the car, and he said that "they haven't compiled/released those specs yet", so that may also apply to the dimensions.

Was it a 5 or 7 seater version?
I'm struggling to see how 2 rear seats will fit in the back of this given it's a smaller body than the X (the 3 is a foot shorter than the S and the X is only 1-2 inches longer than the S - and presumably this is the same length as the 3 to an inch too)

I'm struggling to see how 2 rear seats will fit in the back of this given it's a smaller body than the X (the 3 is a foot shorter than the S and the X is only 1-2 inches longer than the S - and presumably this is the same length as the 3 to an inch too)

7 seat config, but the back 2 were folded down. This guy managed to take a picture with them up Alistair Weaver on Twitter

What people don't seem to realize is that the model3 is about the same wheelbase as the Toyota Highlander. Yes the Y slopes down and it will be tight back there but I'm sure it works fine for small adults and kids. The third row on most SUVs even bigger ones are more for kids than adults

Reactions: jboy210
I seem to remember it was difficult to find any dimensions for the Model 3, either, until it was actually being delivered. or maybe when the configurator was opened. So I would not expect to know actual dimensions for 18 months or so....

Our previous BMW X5 was a full 5" shorter than our Model S, yet had a small, but perfectly functional 3rd row for two kids that I imagine is similar to what the Y will offer. The Y, if it is say just 6" longer than the 3, would be the same length as our X5 was. The way you got into those X5 3rd row seats was that the 2nd row seats' base AND back both flipped forward. Also, the X5 third row seats folded completely flat when not in use (which was 99% of the time), so didn't impede on have a perfectly flat and spacious cargo area either.

The X was a non-starter for our 60's era California garage, the X FWD's would not be able to open in our garage due to a low beam. The S length barely fits, we have to park at an angle to have space to open the doors to each car. The Y would be a good combo of fit and function for our garage.

EDIT: Here's a good photo of how the x5 3rd row worked. Tilting the 2nd row forward, combined with rear doors that swept over the rear wheel well, provides a v-shaped opening that was fairly OK for kids to climb in...

x5_3rd_row.jpg

Last edited:
I will be tight for sure, but most people don't seem to realize that Tesla's are pretty big. They may not look or feel like it but they are. Next time you see a Toyota Highlander just realize it's wheelbase is about the same as the model 3 although it looks much bigger. So, like I said before in other posts it will be tight cause of slopping roof but should work for kids.

7 seat config, but the back 2 were folded down. This guy managed to take a picture with them up Alistair Weaver on Twitter
There are some additional pictures (or videos) that also show about 2 inches of legroom between the 2nd and 3rd row during the test rides. Apparently the second row will be able to move fore and aft, but it was not working in the test vehicles and the seat was all the way back.
I’m guessing for the 3rd row to be useable the 2nd row will also be tight.
Like the X, I would assume there will be more cargo space in the back in the 5 seater