Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL Y Dimming Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have this option now to auto dim my mirrors but I have an older vin and thought my mirrors never had this functionality so do they? Or is this menu option pointless in my Y?

I have blindspot mirrors in inner top corner so I wonder if I'm blocking a sensor but I don't notice any kind of dimming effect working at all.

If you're talking about your outside mirrors, you can tell if they are auto dimming as they have a 'line' around the circumference slightly inside the edge of the mirrors. They came along sometime last fall. I have them but have no option to mess around with them. What SW version are you on?

If you're talking about your outside mirrors, you can tell if they are auto dimming as they have a 'line' around the circumference slightly inside the edge of the mirrors. They came along sometime last fall. I have them but have no option to mess around with them. What SW version are you on?
They never did and still don't. You mean the one that looks about a 1/4 inch thick and doesn't dim with the rest of the mirror? Just weird I have the setting if I don't have the hardware for it.

Not having dimmable mirrors is awful.

Would be nice to control how much mirrors dimmed on auto. Sometimes my rear is so dark I can't see anything until lights are behind me at night.

That's the thing... I have them dimming on my 3 and they get too dark. I will be trying out the disable option that was introduced to see if I like it better. The ideal would indeed be to be able to control the level of dimming but I suspect the hardware cannot do it anyway.

Reactions: 73Bruin
I was thinking about retrofit, but $$ for new mirrors is absurd, and even used on Ebay is high. I went with Suma Performance tinted side mirror glass because I simply couldn't stand being blinded any longer at night, and I've had zero issues with being blinded since installing them. Super high quality, and they even look great with the blue tint with my blue MY :) My bigger issue is being able to retrofit the heated steering wheel, followed by the HEPA filter!

That's the thing... I have them dimming on my 3 and they get too dark. I will be trying out the disable option that was introduced to see if I like it better. The ideal would indeed be to be able to control the level of dimming but I suspect the hardware cannot do it anyway.
I feel like they could since there's a gradient dimming effect but maybe it's really just an on or off thing that takes a little time to take full effect, I have no idea how dimming tech works and I imagine there are different methods to it.

I was thinking about retrofit, but $$ for new mirrors is absurd, and even used on Ebay is high. I went with Suma Performance tinted side mirror glass because I simply couldn't stand being blinded any longer at night, and I've had zero issues with being blinded since installing them. Super high quality, and they even look great with the blue tint with my blue MY :) My bigger issue is being able to retrofit the heated steering wheel, followed by the HEPA filter!
Maybe sell the Y since they still hold value super well. Probably take a smaller hit in the difference than mirrors cost used?

Exactly what I am planning on doing in another year or so for an early 2023 build out of Texas. I am pretty sure it will still hold its value, especially with FSD included. Holding back on any costly mods till then.
Yeah my family doing the same and I'm trying to get a 3 asap once I know what I want but this rebate has me waiting a little but I'll order one very soon.

Sucks that mods devalue a car so much. Some shouldn't but I get why...

I played with it yesterday and I believe all three mirrors changed with the setting.

I believe I found the "setting" that works for me... On long trips, highway and secondary road driving at night, I have the dimming ON so selfish people running their highs behind me don't blind me. In daily city driving, I have dimming OFF so I see what's going on behind me.

Also have the blue tinted Suma mirrors. Love them better than the OEM auto dimming because not only do they help with blinding lights at night but also helps when the sun glare during sunrise and sunset. The wide angle convex on the driver side helps a lot in the blind spot area as well, just takes some time getting used to.