Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL Y Dimming Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had .4 for a few days. Now on .5. As far as I can tell the mirror dimming option only became available with .5
I have had the Auto Dimming set to Off for a few days. I was hoping this would work on the rear view mirror but as far as I can tell there is no difference in the rear view mirror with this off. My Model Y did not come with the dimming side view mirrors but the option to turn off Auto Dimming appears on the mirror settings screen.🤨

That would be amazing if it had the dimmer. Darn. Yeah I wish the field of view was better but I use a blindspot mirror. Ideally, we had no mirrors and could use the cameras instead. Wish they would allow that already, the tech is ready but the laws are not.
Yea, no dimming just tinted/heated which I prefer over the dimming feature on Tesla vehicles in general. I can still see they type of cars at night and not have to figure out what's behind me. I have the same type of tinted mirrors on my motorcycles but in a purplish hue.

AOS3_01.jpg

Reactions: ZapCarM3
Also have the blue tinted Suma mirrors. Love them better than the OEM auto dimming because not only do they help with blinding lights at night but also helps when the sun glare during sunrise and sunset. The wide angle convex on the driver side helps a lot in the blind spot area as well, just takes some time getting used to.
Can you give an explanation of how this convex mirror works? Noting in the description mentions helping at night.

The blue tint is what helps with glare at night and still be able to make out what's behind you. The convex just gives you a wider look and reduce your blind spots since we don't have BSM.
Gotha, that helps a lot. I was very curious as to the difference between the blue vs grey. What percentage of a benefit are you getting from your blues? I was considering trying to retrofit the standard dimming mirror because my eyes are terrible at night.

Gotha, that helps a lot. I was very curious as to the difference between the blue vs grey. What percentage of a benefit are you getting from your blues? I was considering trying to retrofit the standard dimming mirror because my eyes are terrible at night.

From the tint itself, I'd say I'm getting 80% benefits. It also helps with glare when the sun is behind you during sunrise/sunset. After a few days, you'll adjust to it and still be able to make out the object behind you. Think of it as a polarized sunglasses.

Reactions: jhams
Just wanted to follow up - the Suma Performance mirrors are worth every penny. They simply work, and I've had many auto-dimming equipped vehicles, and I really think these are a better option across more situations. They are easy to install, very high-quality, and I with a great deal of nighttime driving that I do, I've had zero issues with being blinded.

Reactions: N1L CO2 and jhams