Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Display

Will you order an MY if Tesla allowed you to view it now?

• Yes, I'm on the fence so 'll order now if allowed to view it

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • No, I will not order even if allowed to view though I am on the fence

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Maybe Yes

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Maybe No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Will not order until after a year from production & delivery of MY's regardless of viewing

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Will never order an MY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure how much you can rely on what someone told you. Why would they have us choose color, options, etc if it did not lock in a price. Could have just had a check box, like the original Model 3 $1000 reservation. Tesla actually calls it a 'Pre-Order Agreement'.
Read it how you will, I'm just trying to prepare you guys so you aren't disappointed/angry if things work out differently. A year (or more) is a long time with Tesla.

Dan

All I know is that once you
Read it how you will, I'm just trying to prepare you guys so you aren't disappointed/angry if things work out differently. A year (or more) is a long time with Tesla.

Dan
Have you actually placed the 'order' and read the paperwork that you get? The price for my order still says what it was when we ordered it the first weekend. If you order one now, the price reflects the $1000 increase. If I edit my order to change paint color, etc, then the new pricing will be used.

You don't know when your order will be processed. Someone that did not pre-order may get their before yours because of ...any reason. Model 3 pre-orders were not totally filled first. You don't know if the price might decrease while you wait. I'm sitting on the sidelines until Model Y is actually in production.

And this is what Tesla gets for treating customers as it’s beta testers:
51A2FD8F-C403-4843-B7C5-84F0E69899EC.png

I’ve sat in and was driven around in the Y at the reveal.

What you feel about the 3 will be how you feel about the Y.

It doesn’t make sense for Tesla to want higher production for the Y but then change it from the 3 unless absolutely necessary. The interior I saw will probably hold. Changes are for cutting costs and speeding up production.

The Y is an upgrade over the 3 in every practical area. Tesla for good reason is saying almost nothing about it.

The poll is cute.

Wait a year no matter what? What would you buy if you needed a car in that time frame?

A Bolt?

Talk and internet polls are cheap.

The Y is an upgrade over the 3 in every practical area. Tesla for good reason is saying almost nothing about it.----

Will Tesla suddenly open up/provide more details if/when the competition arrives with what they perceive as a possible strong competitor? Based upon the CEO tweet history, I bet he does open up sooner rather than later in attempt to boost Tesla in multiple ways.

Will Tesla suddenly open up/provide more details if/when the competition arrives with what they perceive as a possible strong competitor? Based upon the CEO tweet history, I bet he does open up sooner rather than later in attempt to boost Tesla in multiple ways.

Much the same way 9 women cannot produce one baby in one month - 9 competitors cannot match 1 Tesla.

I’ve made a few critical threads about Tesla so I call things out how I honestly see it.

No matter what you do, Tesla has moats there is no getting around.

-Frictionless Supercharging network. One cannot decide to match Tesla overnight. It would take a decade to reach parity and that’s assuming a running start.

-Battery Production. Tesla still consumes every KW it produces. The only problem is matching a chassis that produces enough margins to those KWs. No one else can produce EV without taking even larger losses than Tesla currently.

I’ve left off a lot of things because it’s conceivable that acceptable substitutes can be produced with enough licensing and capital infusions.

Previous CEO tweet history is to goose sales of S/X when 3 was not at scale.

Now that 3 is at scale, CEO is trying to goose all of them.

Stock price dropped at the perception that the Y reveal is underwhelming. It’s underwhelming because it’s supposed to be by design.

1.) Elon says next to nothing because they don’t want to have customers pass on the 3.
2.) To keep costs low and production high, it has to share a lot of the 3.
3.) It can’t completely destroy the S and X until Tesla can create viable product differentiation.

Tesla made a major error when they made the 3 a sedan instead of a CUV hatchback.

The Model Y is a Model 3 bug fix. Both in what the consumer wants and what Tesla wants. What Tesla wants is more margin per chassis they put their limited KW capacity into.

Yes and no to the above. Who is to say no other EV producer can come to agreement with Tesla for sharing the network? Sharing Tesla's with the "other" network isn't crazy. It is just a software addition. After all, Tesla continues to lose money and at some point this has to change. Allowing others to use the Tesla network for a "fee" is going to help Tesla's bottom line. Then there is a thought that your government might attempt to do the same thru legislation in attempt to make their "beliefs" come to reality. As for battery production, it is likely a new form (hard) or chemistry (sodium?) is going to be a force in the future.