Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y DIY Xpel Ultimate PPF

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also curious if some brands are easier to DIY than others? Seems like driveprotected are a popular DIY option (especially the 5 piece bumper for ease)... but is there really any difference between in ease of installation between pre-cut brands?

Also curious if some brands are easier to DIY than others? Seems like driveprotected are a popular DIY option (especially the 5 piece bumper for ease)... but is there really any difference between in ease of installation between pre-cut brands?
Xpel and STEK/SunTek films are much easier to work on the corners/curves as they stretch better than 3m film.

Any tips and tricks? I have done a few cars and tried cutting around sensors several times, but since decided to leave them. I haven't been able to cut around the sensor perfectly.
I only used xpel on my cars so I’m not sure if other brands cut differently but for me the main difference is a good sharp exacto knife. First you want to install the ppf covering the holes, then when its in place and somewhat dry start the cutting process. Light pressure just to score the film. Just a couple passes usually makes a clean cut. Good luck

Reactions: Plasmid_Boy
For those who have DIY'd the bumper. Does it really take 3-4 hours?

Bearded Tesla Guy (seems honest) says it takes him 4 hours for XPEL for single piece. But only took 1.5hr with 5 piece driveprotected bumper. Since he's "sponsored", I want to verify his claims.

For those who have DIY'd the bumper. Does it really take 3-4 hours?

Bearded Tesla Guy (seems honest) says it takes him 4 hours for XPEL for single piece. But only took 1.5hr with 5 piece driveprotected bumper. Since he's "sponsored", I want to verify his claims.

Most shops use two piece precut kits unless they do the bulk install. I guess 5 piece kit will be much easier since it involves less stretching.
It took me good 2 hours with the two piece kit since I was doing it myself and it was my fist time doing it ever. I think most pros can do in 30-40 mins.

Reactions: JonB65
Most shops use two piece precut kits unless they do the bulk install. I guess 5 piece kit will be much easier since it involves less stretching.
It took me good 2 hours with the two piece kit since I was doing it myself and it was my fist time doing it ever. I think most pros can do in 30-40 mins.
I think it took a friend and I about three hours to do the bumper. No cutouts and the PPF was two pieces. I saved this part until the end so had accumulated a small amount of experience. That was a really good idea. ;-)

Reactions: nate704
So happy I did…ran through some bad times after I got it on. Thankful I had it!

Attachments

• 1941D2D3-BC33-4212-847E-89CD67AC2F04.jpeg
    1941D2D3-BC33-4212-847E-89CD67AC2F04.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 216
  • D1848997-C04F-40A6-A62E-76AEC22ACAC2.jpeg
    D1848997-C04F-40A6-A62E-76AEC22ACAC2.jpeg
    505 KB · Views: 129
  • 071C8BDE-2015-4B46-B530-67CFBA8253DD.jpeg
    071C8BDE-2015-4B46-B530-67CFBA8253DD.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 128
  • FCA5C8ED-24E2-4764-A70F-287F8BF2C02A.jpeg
    FCA5C8ED-24E2-4764-A70F-287F8BF2C02A.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 131
  • 42A4038B-23EA-4C51-AF99-AF8CB782ED2D.jpeg
    42A4038B-23EA-4C51-AF99-AF8CB782ED2D.jpeg
    481.6 KB · Views: 125
The business name is Vito Films. I actually found him through eBay and then have since ordered Xpel for another model y as well as a friend’s BMW. If it is your first time working with PPF I would say plan for about 2 hours a panel with all prep work and everything. Some will go faster, some will go slower. Also depends on how crazy you get about edges, corners, and any dust nibs. I ended up doing the car kind of panel by panel over multiple weekends.

Remember most youtube videos make it look so easy but they skip a lot of parts that you won't learn from watching them. Watch as many installation videos that you can and then try it. The hood is the easiest. The bumper like everyone else mentioned is the hardest. You need to use alcohol mixture to adhere key spots before you start stretching certain parts.

• Helpful
Remember most youtube videos make it look so easy but they skip a lot of parts that you won't learn from watching them. Watch as many installation videos that you can and then try it. The hood is the easiest. The bumper like everyone else mentioned is the hardest. You need to use alcohol mixture to adhere key spots before you start stretching certain parts.
Actually, the headlight pieces are the easiest, and that's what I recommend to the beginners. The hood is easy to apply, but it is also very easy to get debris under it since it is a large piece. Also, it is very hard to get those debris out if they are located further from the edges.
So, I highly recommend start doing the headlights first.
Those side mirrors are the hardest because of many sharp curves, and then the front bumper is the next hard thing because it has many curves and just large (worst combination).